Thermodynamics regarding ideal gases and the absolute zero.

In summary, the conversation discusses the questions and guidelines for a seminar on achieving temperatures below absolute zero. The speaker also suggests looking into the molecular level for answers and asks for any helpful information or links. The conversation also mentions the impossibility of achieving absolute zero temperature and the relationship between temperature, volume and pressure in gases.
spanky489
Hello colleagues, I have a seminar that i need to turn in a weeks day from now.
My professor listed the following questions, guidelines that I should lean on:

1) Is it possible to achieve a temperature bellow absolute zero (-273,15)

2) An ideal gas contracts linearly when decreasing temperature towards absolute zero, why?

3)A real gas doesn't contract linearly,why? it has more variables than the ideal gas, but this is not the complete answer.

4)Why is the absolute zero temperature the common ending point for both(real and ideal)

colleagues, i think the answer here lies in the specter that lies deeper than what most engineers abide by. We must go deeper than continuum, i think all the answers can be interpreted through the molecular level. And now I am asking you if you know any good links that could help me with my seminar. Also if you have any helpful information feel free to share.

Science news on Phys.org
spanky489 said:
colleagues, i think the answer here lies in the specter that lies deeper than what most engineers abide by. We must go deeper than continuum, i think all the answers can be interpreted through the molecular level.

Nope, all these questions are answerable without making use of statistical thermodynamics (i.e. the 'molecular level').

alxm said:
Nope, all these questions are answerable without making use of statistical thermodynamics (i.e. the 'molecular level').

please post something constructive, a link maybe? or maybe care to elaborate on your statement.

Aside from the lack of evidence of sub-zero K (Kelvin) temperatures,

I think the OP should look to the canonical distribution for some information. There you could "experiment" with what would happen to the energy levels if you let them approach negative, or even zero.

You could also look to E=kT as well. Where E is total energy, k is the Boltzmann constant, and T is in Kelvin, what would happen if T < 0? Can we have a E less than zero? Can we have an E = 0?

For the second question, look to the Ideal-Gas Law.. figure it out yourself: pV=nRT

For number three, that's a fun one. I can think of a number of reasons why, depending on what level of Physics you are familiar with. I'd reckon that mentioning that interactions between particles at lower temperatures become non-negligible and so transitions between states (i.e. gas to liquid to solid) becomes important. Ideal-gas law doesn't allow for this.

4. I suggested it above I think.

spanky489 said:
Hello colleagues, I have a seminar that i need to turn in a weeks day from now.
My professor listed the following questions, guidelines that I should lean on:

1) Is it possible to achieve a temperature bellow absolute zero (-273,15)

2) An ideal gas contracts linearly when decreasing temperature towards absolute zero, why?

3)A real gas doesn't contract linearly,why? it has more variables than the ideal gas, but this is not the complete answer.

4)Why is the absolute zero temperature the common ending point for both(real and ideal)

colleagues, i think the answer here lies in the specter that lies deeper than what most engineers abide by. We must go deeper than continuum, i think all the answers can be interpreted through the molecular level. And now I am asking you if you know any good links that could help me with my seminar. Also if you have any helpful information feel free to share.
It is impossible to achieve absolute zero temp. Because according to the Kelvin's observations, the volume & pressure of a gas becomes zero at -273.15. i.e
temperature is inversely proportional to volume & pressure. That's why he started measuring temperature from this point.

Related to Thermodynamics regarding ideal gases and the absolute zero.

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of heat, energy, and their relationship with work and various forms of energy.

2. What are ideal gases?

Ideal gases are theoretical gases that follow the ideal gas law, which describes their behavior using variables such as pressure, volume, and temperature. These gases are assumed to have no intermolecular forces and occupy no volume.

3. What is absolute zero?

Absolute zero is the lowest possible temperature that can be theoretically reached, at which a gas would have zero volume and no thermal energy. It is equivalent to 0 Kelvin, or -273.15 degrees Celsius.

4. How does thermodynamics relate to ideal gases?

Thermodynamics provides a theoretical framework for understanding the behavior of ideal gases. It helps us understand how these gases behave under different conditions, such as changes in pressure, volume, and temperature.

5. What are the applications of thermodynamics in relation to ideal gases and absolute zero?

Thermodynamics has numerous applications in fields such as chemistry, engineering, and physics. It helps us understand the behavior of ideal gases in various real-life situations, and it also allows us to predict and control processes such as refrigeration and combustion. Additionally, the concept of absolute zero is crucial in the study of thermodynamics, as it serves as a reference point for temperature measurements and the understanding of energy transfer.