Thermodynamics- Refrigerator Problem

In summary, to find the maximum heat leak in watts that can be tolerated by the refrigerator, we first find the coefficient of performance and then use it to calculate the rate of Qcold. The maximum heat leak can be calculated by subtracting the calculated Qcold from the maximum power input of the motor. If the actual heat leak is greater than the calculated maximum value, the refrigerator will not be able to maintain the desired temperature and may potentially malfunction.
jessedevin

Homework Statement

A refrigerator is operated by a 0.25 hp (1 hp=746 watts) motor. If the interior is to be maintained at 2.00 degrees Celsius and the room temperature of the room is 35 degrees C, what is the maximum heat leak in watts that can be tolerated? Assume that the coefficient of preformance is 50% of the maximum theoretical vale. What happens if the leak is greater than your calculated maximum value.

Homework Equations

[tex]\eta[/tex]= Tcold/(Thot-Tcold)
[tex]\eta[/tex]=Qcold/w
Qhot=Qcold+W.

The Attempt at a Solution

What I am first doing is finding the coefficient of performance [tex]\eta[/tex]
[tex]\eta[/tex]=375K/(408K-375K)=11.36
Then it says that the coefficent of preformance is 50% of the the max theoretical value, so [tex]\eta[/tex]= 11.36/2=5.68
Then I find the rate of Qcold = w*[tex]\eta[/tex]
Qcold=(746w/4)(5.68)=1059.66w
Lastly I used Qhot=Qcold+W,
Qhot=1059.66w+ 746w/4=1246.16w

But the answer in my book says its 779 watts, so did I miss a step or do something wrong. And what happens if the leak is greater than your calculated maximum value?

Physics news on Phys.org
First, check your conversion to Kelvin temperature. It is not correct.

Second, your method is correct except that you do not calculate Qh. You use Qc, since this is the heat that has to be removed.

What do you think happens if the refrigerator is not able to remove the heat as fast as it is entering the refrigerator?

AM

Your approach to solving the problem seems correct. However, there may be a mistake in your calculation of Qcold. It should be Qcold = w/eta = (746 W)/(4*5.68) = 32.99 W. This means that the maximum heat leak that can be tolerated is 32.99 W.

If the heat leak is greater than this calculated value, the refrigerator will not be able to maintain the desired temperature of 2.00 degrees Celsius. The temperature inside the refrigerator will start to increase and eventually reach the room temperature of 35 degrees Celsius. This will result in spoilage of food and reduced efficiency of the refrigerator. In order to prevent this, the heat leak needs to be reduced or the efficiency of the refrigerator needs to be improved.

Related to Thermodynamics- Refrigerator Problem

1. What is the purpose of a refrigerator?

A refrigerator is a kitchen appliance that is designed to keep food and beverages at a low temperature in order to slow down the growth of bacteria and prolong the shelf life of perishable items.

2. How does a refrigerator work?

A refrigerator works by using a process known as thermodynamics. It uses a refrigerant, such as Freon, to transfer heat from the inside of the refrigerator to the outside. This causes the inside of the refrigerator to cool down, while the outside becomes warmer.

3. Why does a refrigerator feel cold on the inside?

A refrigerator feels cold on the inside because the refrigerant inside absorbs heat from the food and beverages, causing them to cool down. The refrigerant then transfers this heat to the outside of the refrigerator, making the inside feel cooler in comparison.

4. What is the ideal temperature for a refrigerator?

The ideal temperature for a refrigerator is between 35 and 38 degrees Fahrenheit. This temperature range is cold enough to slow down the growth of bacteria, but not cold enough to freeze food.

5. How can I make my refrigerator more energy efficient?

To make your refrigerator more energy efficient, you can try keeping the door closed as much as possible, ensuring the door seals are tight, and cleaning the condenser coils regularly. You can also consider purchasing an energy-efficient refrigerator, which may have features such as improved insulation and LED lighting.