Thermodynamics Question Regarding assuming Irreversibilities

In summary, the problem deals with a tank filled with air at a given volume, temperature, and pressure, which is placed in a room with a different temperature and pressure. The objective is to determine the entropy change of the air in the tank (or the combination of air in the tank and the room) as it equilibrates with the environment. Assumptions are made that work and entropy production are zero, and that the tank is rigid and the room is sealed. Further clarification is needed on the final state and whether the pressures inside and outside the tank are expected to equilibrate.
ScareCrow271828

Homework Statement

There exists a tank filled with air with a given volume, temperature, and pressure. The tank exists in a room at a given temperature and pressure.
That is:
For the tank: P=1MPa, T=700k, V=1m^3
Outside: T=295K, P=100kPa

Homework Equations

\psi 2-\psi 1=(1-T0/Tb)*1Q2-[W=P[SUB]0[/SUB]*(V2-V1)-T0

E2-E1=Q-W
PV=mRT

3. Attempt at solution

Will the transfer happen slowly enough that it is safe to assume zero reversabilities? Meaning sigma is zero? In this case I am a little confused between the definitions of internal and external reversibilities.

With the assumptions that work and entropy production are zero.

\psi 2-\psi 1=(1-T0/Tb)*1Q2

Then we can get Q from first law with the assumption that the tank will eventually reach the environmental temperatures. So we can get u2 and u1 from the tables at the tank conditions and the environment conditions.

U2-U1=Q
m(u2-u1)=Q
Q/m=u2-u1
(210.49-512.33)Kj/kg*k=-301.84 Kj/kg*k=Q/m

So (multiplying (Q/m)*m)
m=PV/RT=171.823kg
\psi2-\psi1=(1-700k/295k)*(-301.84 Kj/kg*k)*(171.823)
=71,201.8302 Kj*K

That is a very large number. Is that correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ScareCrow271828 said:
`. Problem Statement
There exists a tank filled with air with a given volume, temperature, and pressure. The tank exists in a room at a given temperature and pressure.
That is:
For the tank: P=1MPa, T=700k, V=1m^3
Outside: T=295K, P=100kPa
2. Homework Equations

\psi 2-\psi 1=(1-T0/Tb)*1Q2-[W=P[SUB]0[/SUB]*(V2-V1)-T0

E2-E1=Q-W
PV=mRT

3. Attempt at solution

Will the transfer happen slowly enough that it is safe to assume zero reversabilities? Meaning sigma is zero? In this case I am a little confused between the definitions of internal and external reversibilities.

With the assumptions that work and entropy production are zero.

\psi 2-\psi 1=(1-T0/Tb)*1Q2

Then we can get Q from first law with the assumption that the tank will eventually reach the environmental temperatures. So we can get u2 and u1 from the tables at the tank conditions and the environment conditions.

U2-U1=Q
m(u2-u1)=Q
Q/m=u2-u1
(210.49-512.33)Kj/kg*k=-301.84 Kj/kg*k=Q/m

So (multiplying (Q/m)*m)
m=PV/RT=171.823kg
\psi2-\psi1=(1-700k/295k)*(-301.84 Kj/kg*k)*(171.823)
=71,201.8302 Kj*K

That is a very large number. Is that correct?
I'm confused about the problem statement and your approach to the problem. First regarding the problem statement:

1. Are you assuming that the tank is not insulated, so that the room air temperature and the tank air temperatures are the same in the final state?
2. Are you assuming that the pressures inside the tank and outside the tank are equal in the final state/
3. Are you assuming that the room is sealed and isolated from the environment, and that the initial mass of air in the room is much larger than the initial mass of air in the tank?

Let's temporarily wait on discussing reversibilities, internal and external reversibilities, and sigma for the moment. I would like to first like to focus on establishing the initial and final states.

Is that OK with you?

Chestermiller said:
I'm confused about the problem statement and your approach to the problem. First regarding the problem statement:

1. Are you assuming that the tank is not insulated, so that the room air temperature and the tank air temperatures are the same in the final state?
2. Are you assuming that the pressures inside the tank and outside the tank are equal in the final state/
3. Are you assuming that the room is sealed and isolated from the environment, and that the initial mass of air in the room is much larger than the initial mass of air in the tank?

Let's temporarily wait on discussing reversibilities, internal and external reversibilities, and sigma for the moment. I would like to first like to focus on establishing the initial and final states.

Is that OK with you?

Great thank you. I am assuming 1 and 3. I did not take into account 2 because I only used the pressure inside of the tank to calculate the mass in the tank. Since volume stays constant in the rigid tank (another assumption) the P0 term goes to zero. So no I did not assume #2 since I did not think I needed to.

Thanks for your time,
Otto

ScareCrow271828 said:
Great thank you. I am assuming 1 and 3. I did not take into account 2 because I only used the pressure inside of the tank to calculate the mass in the tank. Since volume stays constant in the rigid tank (another assumption) the P0 term goes to zero. So no I did not assume #2 since I did not think I needed to.

Thanks for your time,
Otto
Still confused. Are you saying that the final pressure in the tank does not equilibrate with the pressure in the room? Do you shut the valve before the two pressures equilibrate?

My exact problem statement is:

Chestermiller said:
Still confused. Are you saying that the final pressure in the tank does not equilibrate with the pressure in the room? Do you shut the valve before the two pressures equilibrate?

I am allowed reasonable assumptions. So I guess I would be assuming that pressures would also equilibrate. Sorry for the confusion!
Thanks for your time.

ScareCrow271828 said:
My exact problem statement is:
I am allowed reasonable assumptions. So I guess I would be assuming that pressures would also equilibrate. Sorry for the confusion!
Thanks for your time.
OK. So, in the final state, the temperature and pressure of all the air that was originally inside the tank (some of this air remains in the thank and some is outside in the final state) are 295 K and 1 bar, correct?

Are you trying to determine the entropy change of just the air that was originally inside the tank, or the change in entropy for the combination of the air inside the tank and the room air?

Chestermiller said:
OK. So, in the final state, the temperature and pressure of all the air that was originally inside the tank (some of this air remains in the thank and some is outside in the final state) are 295 K and 1 bar, correct?

Are you trying to determine the entropy change of just the air that was originally inside the tank, or the change in entropy for the combination of the air inside the tank and the room air?

A one cubic meter tank containts a substance at 700k and 1Mpa. The tank is in a room at 295k and 100kPa. I am asked to determine the exergy in kJ. So I would imagine it would be the exergy in the tank.

ScareCrow271828 said:
A one cubic meter tank containts a substance at 700k and 1Mpa. The tank is in a room at 295k and 100kPa. I am asked to determine the exergy in kJ. So I would imagine it would be the exergy in the tank.
I don't know too much about exergy, but can't it be calculated from the straightforward equation:
$$E=(U-U_0)+p_0(V-V_0)-T_0(S-S_0)$$

Chestermiller said:
I don't know too much about exergy, but can't it be calculated from the straightforward equation:
$$E=(U-U_0)+p_0(V-V_0)-T_0(S-S_0)$$

Yes it can be. I am using the net change form for a closed system. My question is: is it okay to assume that entropy production is zero, and there are no reversibilities because the system cools down slowly to the environmental temperature?

ScareCrow271828 said:
Yes it can be. I am using the net change form for a closed system. My question is: is it okay to assume that entropy production is zero, and there are no reversibilities because the system cools down slowly to the environmental temperature?
Why don't you try it both ways, and compare the results?

Related to Thermodynamics Question Regarding assuming Irreversibilities

1. What is the concept of irreversibility in thermodynamics?

Irreversibility in thermodynamics refers to the inability of a system to return to its initial state after undergoing a process. This is due to the presence of dissipative processes, such as friction or heat transfer, that result in a loss of energy and increase in entropy.

2. How does assuming irreversibilities affect thermodynamic calculations?

Assuming irreversibilities can lead to inaccuracies in thermodynamic calculations, as it does not take into account the reversible nature of certain processes. This can result in an overestimation of energy losses and an underestimation of work output.

3. What are some common examples of irreversibilities in real-world systems?

Some common examples of irreversibilities in real-world systems include frictional losses in engines, heat transfer through imperfect insulation, and pressure losses in pipes due to turbulence. These processes cannot be completely eliminated and contribute to the overall inefficiency of the system.

4. How can irreversibilities be minimized in thermodynamic systems?

Irreversibilities can be minimized by improving the design and operation of thermodynamic systems. This can include using more efficient materials, reducing friction through lubrication, and improving insulation to reduce heat transfer. Additionally, incorporating reversible processes and maximizing the use of renewable energy sources can also help reduce irreversibilities.

5. What is the difference between reversible and irreversible processes in thermodynamics?

Reversible processes are those that can be reversed by infinitesimal changes in the system, and therefore, no energy is lost. Irreversible processes, on the other hand, cannot be reversed and result in a loss of energy and increase in entropy. Reversible processes are ideal and used as a benchmark for efficiency, while irreversible processes are more common in real-world systems.