Thermodynamics Question heat through a wall

In summary, the conversation discusses a Thermo question involving heat transfer through a plain wall. The given information includes the area of transfer, the thickness of the wall, and the energy transfer rate. The question asks for the temperature difference across the wall in Kelvin, assuming a linear temperature distribution. The speaker is unsure of how to proceed and mentions the need for the coefficient of thermal conductivity, possibly using Fourier's Law. They also mention a possible algebraic trick for solving similar problems in physics.
kdinser
I'm stuck on this Thermo question dealing with heat transfer through a "plain wall"

They give us the area of the transfer A = 1 m^2
They give us the thickness of the wall L = .2 m
and they give us the rate of steady state energy transfer rate Qx = .15 kW

They then ask, if the temperature distribution is linear, what is the temperature difference across the wall in K.

I'm not sure how to get going on this one. Because they give actual numbers, I'm sure they want a real value for the number of Kalvins difference between the temperatures. I'm assuming they want me to use Fourier's Law here, but they don't give enough info to solve for (T2 - T1) directly. They don't give the value for the thermal conductivity of the wall, unless there is some standard value I'm supposed to use for a "plain wall". I seem to remember there was some kind of algebraic trick that I used to use to solve similar problems in physics, but the details escape my memory at the moment. If someone could get me started with this problem or give me hint to jog my memory, I'd appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
I too need the coefficient of thermal conductivity!

Hello, it seems like you are on the right track with using Fourier's Law to solve this problem. You are correct in saying that you need the thermal conductivity of the wall in order to find the temperature difference across the wall. However, you can use a standard value for the thermal conductivity of a "plain wall" if it is not specified. In this case, you can use a value of 0.04 W/mK for the thermal conductivity of the wall.

To solve for the temperature difference, you can use the formula Q = kA(T2-T1)/L, where Q is the steady state energy transfer rate, k is the thermal conductivity, A is the area of transfer, and L is the thickness of the wall.

Plugging in the given values, you can rearrange the equation to solve for (T2-T1). This will give you the temperature difference in Kelvin. Remember to convert the given value of 0.15 kW to W before plugging it into the equation.

I hope this helps you solve the problem. If you need further assistance, please let me know. Good luck!

Related to Thermodynamics Question heat through a wall

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of heat and its relation to energy and work.

2. What is heat transfer?

Heat transfer is the movement of thermal energy from a hotter object to a cooler object.

3. How does heat transfer through a wall?

Heat can transfer through a wall in three ways: convection, conduction, and radiation. Convection is when heat is transferred through the movement of fluids, conduction is when heat is transferred through direct contact, and radiation is when heat is transferred through electromagnetic waves.

4. What is thermal equilibrium?

Thermal equilibrium is a state where there is no net heat transfer between two objects in contact with each other. This means that the temperature of both objects is the same.

5. How does thermodynamics apply to everyday life?

Thermodynamics can be applied to many everyday activities such as cooking, heating and cooling our homes, and even in the functioning of our bodies. It helps us understand how energy and heat are transferred and how we can use this knowledge to improve our daily lives.