Thermodynamics of mercury thermometers

In summary, the faulty manufacture of a thermometer resulted in 2 mmHg of air being trapped in the space above the mercury column when the thermometer was immersed in a bath at 0 degrees Celsius. Using the formula P = ρ ⋅ g ⋅ h, it can be determined that the mass density of the air at 0 degrees Celsius is 212.31 Pa. However, since the pressure and length of the air space changes with temperature, the mass density at 10 degrees Celsius may be different. To determine this, you would need to consider the effect of temperature on the trapped air and its effect on the accuracy of the thermometer.
carlzz7
Please don't ignore the template.
The space above the mercury column in a thermometer ordinarily is evacuated, but due to faulty manufacture, a particular thermometer has a pressure of 2 mmHg of air in this space when the whole thermometer is immersed in a bath at 0 degrees Celsius. Calculate the pressure of the air when the whole thermometer is immersed in a bath at 10 degrees Celsius. At 0 degrees Celsius the length of air space is 10 cm and at 10 degrees Celsius the length of air space is 2 cm.

I started out by using p = rho * g * h. For 0 degrees Celsius I got that rho = 212.31 Pa. I'm not sure that rho would be the same for 100 degrees Celsius though, because the pressure and length are changing. If rho is different, how would I go about solving for it to fill into the formula for 100 degrees celsius?

Physics news on Phys.org
carlzz7 said:
The space above the mercury column in a thermometer ordinarily is evacuated, but due to faulty manufacture, a particular thermometer has a pressure of 2 mmHg of air in this space when the whole thermometer is immersed in a bath at 0 degrees Celsius. Calculate the pressure of the air when the whole thermometer is immersed in a bath at 10 degrees Celsius. At 0 degrees Celsius the length of air space is 10 cm and at 10 degrees Celsius the length of air space is 2 cm.

I started out by using p = rho * g * h. For 0 degrees Celsius I got that rho = 212.31 Pa. I'm not sure that rho would be the same for 100 degrees Celsius though, because the pressure and length are changing. If rho is different, how would I go about solving for it to fill into the formula for 100 degrees celsius?

In the formula P = ρ ⋅ g ⋅ h, ρ is the mass density of the fluid, so it does not have units of pascals. :frown:

Since the manufacturing of the thermometer was faulty and allowed air to enter, it seems the problem is asking you to consider the effect that temperature has on this trapped air, and how this affects the accuracy of the device. :wink:

So the pressure of the air equals the pressure of the mercury. If the change in length is 10cm - 2 cm = 8cm, then the mercury would have increased 80 mmHg. Add this to the original 2 mmHg and you get 82 mmHg at 10 degrees Celsius. Am I thinking about this correctly?

Related to Thermodynamics of mercury thermometers

1. What is the purpose of a mercury thermometer?

A mercury thermometer is used to measure temperature by using the expansion and contraction of mercury in response to changes in temperature. This allows for accurate temperature readings to be taken in a variety of settings.

2. How does the thermodynamics of mercury thermometers work?

The thermodynamics of mercury thermometers is based on the principle that as temperature increases, the volume of mercury inside the thermometer also increases. This causes the mercury to rise up the narrow tube of the thermometer, indicating the temperature on a scale.

3. Are mercury thermometers accurate?

Mercury thermometers are known for their accuracy, as mercury is a good conductor of heat and expands evenly with changes in temperature. However, they are not recommended for use in certain situations, such as in high-altitude locations or when measuring very low temperatures.

4. How do you calibrate a mercury thermometer?

To calibrate a mercury thermometer, it must be placed in a known temperature source, such as ice water or boiling water, and the scale adjusted accordingly. It is important to regularly calibrate thermometers to ensure accurate readings.

5. Are there any safety concerns with using mercury thermometers?

Mercury is a toxic substance, so there are some safety concerns with using mercury thermometers. If a thermometer breaks, the mercury can be released and should be properly cleaned up and disposed of. It is also recommended to use alternative, safer types of thermometers when possible.