Thermodynamics of Helium using a P-V Diagram

In summary: What i've found is that the best way to go about solving these things is to make sure you have a solid understanding of what's going on before you start trying to solve. I'll start doing that more often now. Thanks again for all the helpIn summary, the conversation involves a problem about an isothermal expansion and an isobaric compression of helium gas. The process is depicted on a P-V diagram and the volume and temperature after the isobaric compression are calculated. The work done during each cycle and the efficiency of the cycle are also determined. The conversation ends with a discussion on the best approach for solving such problems.
mouzis

Homework Statement

Helium gas is initially at a pressure of 16 atm, a volume of 1L, and a temperature of 600K. It is expanded isothermally until its volume is 4L and then compressed at constant pressure until its volume and temperature are such that an adiabatic compression will return the gas to its original state. (a) Sketch this process on the P-V diagram. (b) Find the volume and temperature after the isobaric compression. (c) Find the work done during each cycle. (d) Find the efficiency of the cycle.

Homework Equations

(P1V1) / T1 = (P2V2) / T2

PV[itex]\gamma[/itex] = constant

P1V1[itex]\gamma[/itex] = P2V2[itex]\gamma[/itex]

[itex]\gamma[/itex] ≈ 1.67

The Attempt at a Solution

At this time i have only attempted a and b. I believe i have drawn the P-V diagram correctly, but do not know how to draw one here, so i will describe what i have drawn.

a) Point A is at a pressure of 16atm and a volume of 1L. There is an isothermal curve between point A and B in the direction from A to B. Point B is at a pressure of P and volume of 4L. There is an isobaric line from Point B at a higher volume to Point C where there is a lower volume. Point C is at a pressure of P(same as point B due to isobaric process) and a volume between 1L and 4L. There is an adiabatic curve from Point C to Point A.

b) I began by finding the pressure at Point B by using (P1V1) / T1 = (P2V2) / T2. From this i found that the pressure at point B was 4atm, making this the pressure at Point C as well. From there I've tried to use P1V1[itex]\gamma[/itex] = P2V2[itex]\gamma[/itex] in order to try and find the volume at point C, but haven't been able to find much. My understanding of thermodynamics is still shaky at this point so any help would be welcome.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have the relation for B→C and another for C→A and you know the complete states for A and B. Therefore you have two unknowns and two simultaneous equations. What's the problem?

When i use the relation B→C and solve for one of the unknown i find that Tc = 150Vc. I can't seem to perform the math correctly for the process from C→A using P1V1γ = P2V2γ. Thanks for the reply as well Simon.

Last edited:
Check:

State A: ##P_A##, ##V_A##, ##T_A## ... all known quantities.

State B: ##P_B##, ##V_B##, ##T_B=T_A## ... all known quantities

State C: ##P_C=P_B## ... known: need V and T.

From ##B \rightarrow C## you get ##V_C=\frac{V_B}{T_A}V_C## ... (1)

From ##C\rightarrow A## you get ##P_BV_C^\gamma = P_AV_A^\gamma## ... (2)

in equation 1 the unknowns are ##V_C## and ##T_C##.
in equation 2 the only unknown is ##V_C##

make ##V_C## the subject in equation (2) and evaluate. Then substitute into (1) to find ##T_C##

Okay i finally figured out why i couldn't solve for Vc. Just a simple calculation error. Thanks again for all the help

No worries.

Related to Thermodynamics of Helium using a P-V Diagram

What is the definition of thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of science that deals with the study of heat and its relationship to other forms of energy, as well as the properties of matter at different temperatures and pressures.

How is helium used in thermodynamics?

Helium is commonly used in thermodynamics as a working fluid in refrigeration and cryogenics. It also has applications in gas turbines, airships, and as a coolant in nuclear reactors.

What is a P-V diagram and how is it used in the study of thermodynamics?

A P-V (pressure-volume) diagram is a graphical representation of the relationship between pressure and volume for a given system. It is commonly used in thermodynamics to analyze changes in state and processes, such as isothermal, adiabatic, and isobaric processes.

How does the thermodynamics of helium differ from other gases?

Helium has unique thermodynamic properties due to its low atomic mass and low boiling point. It has a high specific heat capacity, making it a good coolant, and it does not easily condense at low temperatures, making it useful in cryogenics.

What are some practical applications of studying the thermodynamics of helium using a P-V diagram?

Studying the thermodynamics of helium using a P-V diagram can help engineers and scientists design more efficient refrigeration systems, gas turbines, and other industrial processes. It can also aid in the development of new technologies, such as superconductors and high-temperature superfluids.