Thermodynamics - Irreversible Adiabatic expansion

In summary, the problem involves a closed system of compressed air in a cylinder with a frictionless piston and weights on top. The initial state is 10 kg of air at 27 °C and 10 ata. The weights are suddenly halved, causing an adiabatic process. The goal is to calculate the final temperature of the air, the work done on the surrounding, the entropy increase of the air, and the isentropic efficiency of expansion. Using the ideal gas law, the first law of thermodynamics, and the reversible adiabatic equation, these values can be calculated. The final temperature can be found using T = PV/nR, the work done on the surrounding is W = ΔU, the entropy
omberlo

Homework Statement

Closed system made of a cylinder containing air, compressed by a piston with weights on top of it. The piston is frictionless and its weight can be neglected. The system contains initially 10 kg of air at 27 °C and a pressure of 10 ata. The weights are suddenly halved. Considering the process adiabatic and air an ideal gas, calculate:

1) The temperature of air at the final state
2) The work done on the surrounding
3) The entropy increase of the air
4) The isentropic efficiency of expansion.

Homework Equations

pV = m Rspecific T
delta U = Q - W
delta U = Cv delta T

The Attempt at a Solution

p2 = p1 / 2 = 5 ata = 490,3 kPa
v1 = m Rspecific T / p1 = 0,88 m^3
Since the process is adiabatic, Q = 0 and delta U = - W

I'm stuck at question one already. How am I supposed to find T2 ?
I tried to use
T2 = p2 V2 / Rspecific
but can't because I don't have V2;
I tried using the first law for an adiabatic process of an ideal gas
Cv ( T2 - T1) = -Pextern ( V2 - V1)
but can't because I don't have V2;

Can't use the reversible adiabatic equation
T2 = (p1/p2)^((1-γ)/γ) * T1
because the weights are removed suddenly and thus it's not reversible..

How am I supposed to solve this?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. I understand your confusion and I would be happy to help you solve this problem.

To find the temperature at the final state, you can use the ideal gas law: PV = nRT. Since the system is closed, the number of moles of air remains constant. You can rearrange the equation to solve for temperature:

T = PV/nR

To find the work done on the surrounding, you can use the first law of thermodynamics: ΔU = Q - W. Since the process is adiabatic, Q = 0. You can rearrange the equation to solve for work:

W = ΔU

To find the entropy increase of the air, you can use the equation ΔS = nCvln(T2/T1). Since the process is adiabatic, Q = 0 and ΔU = -W. You can substitute these values into the equation to solve for the entropy increase.

Finally, to find the isentropic efficiency of expansion, you can use the equation η = Wactual/Wisentropic. Wisentropic is the work done on the surrounding for an isentropic process, which you can calculate using the reversible adiabatic equation you mentioned.

I hope this helps you solve the problem. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Good luck!

Related to Thermodynamics - Irreversible Adiabatic expansion

1. What is irreversible adiabatic expansion and how does it relate to thermodynamics?

Irreversible adiabatic expansion refers to a process in thermodynamics where a system expands without exchanging heat with its surroundings. This means that the temperature of the system decreases and the process is irreversible because it cannot be reversed by simply changing the external conditions.

2. How does irreversible adiabatic expansion differ from reversible adiabatic expansion?

Irreversible adiabatic expansion is different from reversible adiabatic expansion in that the latter involves a system expanding without exchanging heat with its surroundings, but it is also a reversible process, meaning it can be reversed by changing the external conditions. In contrast, irreversible adiabatic expansion cannot be reversed without changing the system or its surroundings.

3. What are some real-life examples of irreversible adiabatic expansion?

A common example of irreversible adiabatic expansion is the sudden release of compressed air from a tire. The air inside the tire expands rapidly, causing its temperature to decrease. Another example is the expansion of gases in a combustion engine, where the burning of fuel causes rapid expansion and a decrease in temperature.

4. How is the principle of entropy related to irreversible adiabatic expansion?

The principle of entropy states that the total entropy of an isolated system always increases over time. Irreversible adiabatic expansion is a process that increases the entropy of a system, as the expansion leads to a decrease in temperature and an increase in disorder.

5. Can irreversible adiabatic expansion be used to do work?

Yes, irreversible adiabatic expansion can be used to do work. When a gas expands adiabatically, it pushes against the surroundings, creating a force and doing work. However, this work is often less than the work that can be done in a reversible process, as some of the energy is lost due to the decrease in temperature.