Thermodynamics -- Internal Energy

In summary: Please show us the details of what you have done so...In summary, I've read back and forth in my chapter and tried consulting with my forumla sheet, but I cannot seem to find the correct formula. I bet I am looking at this question wrong, but I am fairly sure I need to use the -100 kJ for something to find the final volume and pressure , along with the given pv2=constant.
BurningUrge
I've read back and forth in my chapter and tried consulting with my forumla sheet, but I cannot seem to find the correct formula. I bet I am looking at this question wrong, but I am fairly sure I need to use the -100 kJ for something to find the final volume and pressure , along with the given pv2=constant.

Basically, given the information below, how would you go about starting to solve this?

Homework Statement

A mass of gas at an initial pressure of 28 bar, and with an internal energy og 1500 kJ, is contained in a well-insulated cylinder of volume 0.06m3. The gas is allowed to expand behind a piston until it's internal energy is 1400 kJ; the law of expansion is pv2=constant. Calculate:

1) the work done (Already calculated, -100kJ)
2) the final volume
3) the final pressure

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Please show your calculation of the work done, specifying whether it is the work done by the gas on the surroundings, or the work done by the surroundings on the gas.

Chet

Okay, so the work done is by the internal energy as it expands.

So Q + W = U1-U2. Since there is no heat transfer, only work done, it's basically only W = U1-U2.

W = 1500 kJ - 1400 kJ => W = 100 kJ. But since it's an expansion done BY the internal energy as it is allowed to expand, it's -100kJ.

BurningUrge said:
Okay, so the work done is by the internal energy as it expands.

So Q + W = U1-U2. Since there is no heat transfer, only work done, it's basically only W = U1-U2.

W = 1500 kJ - 1400 kJ => W = 100 kJ. But since it's an expansion done BY the internal energy as it is allowed to expand, it's -100kJ.
The equation should be Q + W = U2-U1. That's why W is negative (using the sign convention that W represents work done on the system).

Now you need to develop another equation for expressing the work in terms of the pressure and volumes. What is the equation you learned for determining the work as an integral involving pressure and volume?

Chet

That would quite probably be this nifty little thing;

W = -∫pdV , from position 1 to 2. (Couldn't find the icon for definite integral)

Since pv2 = Constant, I rewrite the equation to -> -∫ c/V2 dV, => -c ∫ 1/V2 dV => -p1V12 ∫ 1/V dV.

When I can't write the correct definite integral it looks abit messy, but the finished integration should look like this;

-p1V12 (-1/V2-(-1/V1)

Finishing this off with :

-p1V12 (-1/V2-(-1/V1) = -100kJ

Am I currently on the right path?

BurningUrge said:

W = -∫pdV , from position 1 to 2. (Couldn't find the icon for definite integral)

Since pv2 = Constant, I rewrite the equation to -> -∫ c/V2 dV, => -c ∫ 1/V2 dV => -p1V12 ∫ 1/V dV.

When I can't write the correct definite integral it looks abit messy, but the finished integration should look like this;

-p1V12 (-1/V2-(-1/V1)

-p1V12 (-1/V2-(-1/V1) = -100kJAm I currently on the right path?
Yes. I haven't checked your "arithmetic," but you're on the right path.

Chet

Okay, so I did that. And I came up with the right answers.

V2=0.148m3

And using that I could find the pressure as well with p1V12=p2V22

Ending at p2=4.6 bar.

Greatly appreciate your time and help!

BurningUrge said:

-p1V12 (-1/V2-(-1/V1)

-p1V12 (-1/V2-(-1/V1) = -100kJ

Am I currently on the right path?
I tried substituting into this formula you used but am not getting V2=0.148,am getting different answer.can you show your working here on how you got V2= 0.148 given the intial pressure and volume

Welcome to the PF. :smile:
Kc emefo said:
I tried substituting into this formula you used but am not getting V2=0.148,am getting different answer.can you show your working here on how you got V2= 0.148 given the intial pressure and volume
This thread has been inactive for 5 years, but perhaps @Chestermiller can offer his thoughts...

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

This thread has been inactive for 5 years, but perhaps @Chestermiller can offer his thoughts...
Thank you,can you help me out with the appropriate substitution to arrive at the given answer V2=0.148m @berkeman

Kc emefo said:
Thank you,can you help me out with the appropriate substitution to arrive at the given answer V2=0.148m @berkeman
Please show us the details of what you have done so far.

Likes BvU
Substituting with the value of P1=28bar V1=0.06 and n=2 into the given equation:
2.8× 10^6×0.06^2(1/V2-1/0.06)=-100
Opening bracket:
10080(1/V2-1/0.06)=-100
10080/V2-1/0.06=-100
10080/V2-16.66=-100
Cross multiple and make V2 subject of formula:
10080-16.66=-100V2
10063.34/-100=-100V2/-100
V2=-100.6334
That is what am getting, please correct me if am wrong

You are working in kJ and kbars. So that 2.8x10^6 should be 2.8x10^3.

Chestermiller said:
You are working in kJ and kbars. So that 2.8x10^6 should be 2.8x10^3.
Oh I got that,jus substituted 2.8×10^3 instead of 2.8×10^6 and my V2=1.5792 which is wrong,am still not getting the suppose as V2=0.148

Kc emefo said:
Oh I got that,jus substituted 2.8×10^3 instead of 2.8×10^6 and my V2=1.5792 which is wrong,am still not getting the suppose as V2=0.148
check your math

Chestermiller said:
check your math
Oh thank you very much sir,I just figured out my mistake and corrected it
Am grateful for that correction

Related to Thermodynamics -- Internal Energy

1. What is internal energy in thermodynamics?

Internal energy in thermodynamics is the sum of all the energies of the particles that make up a system. It includes the kinetic energy of the particles due to their motion and the potential energy due to their interactions with each other. It is a state function, meaning it depends only on the current state of the system and not on how the system reached that state.

2. How is the internal energy of a system related to its temperature?

The internal energy of a system is directly proportional to its temperature. This means that as the temperature of a system increases, its internal energy also increases. This relationship is described by the first law of thermodynamics, which states that the change in internal energy of a system is equal to the heat added to the system minus the work done by the system.

3. Can the internal energy of a system change without any heat or work being added?

Yes, the internal energy of a system can change without any heat or work being added. This is known as an adiabatic process, where the system is insulated and no heat can enter or leave. In this case, any change in the internal energy is due to a change in the system's temperature or its volume.

4. How does the internal energy of a gas change during a phase transition?

During a phase transition, the internal energy of a gas remains constant. This means that the energy is being used to break or form intermolecular bonds, rather than increasing the temperature of the gas. For example, during the melting of ice, the internal energy is used to break the bonds between water molecules, rather than increasing the temperature of the ice.

5. How is the internal energy of a closed system affected by its surroundings?

The internal energy of a closed system can be affected by its surroundings through the transfer of heat or work. If heat is added to the system, its internal energy will increase, and if work is done on the system, its internal energy will also increase. However, if the system is well-insulated and no heat or work can enter or leave, then its internal energy will remain constant.