Thermodynamics: Internal Energy

In summary, the student needs help with three problems involving changes in internal energy, heat flow, and work done on a gas. They are unsure of which equations to use and have attempted to solve the problems but are not confident in their answers. They also mention emailing their teacher for help. The summary suggests using the first law and understanding the relationships between temperature, work, and heat to solve the problems.
naspri4

Homework Statement

I need some help on these problems, i got most of the other problems right, but these ones I am not sure what to do with. I don't even know if those are the right equations for it. Someone please help.

1. A cylinder-and-piston containing an ideal gas is placed in contact a thermal reservoir. The volume of the gas is very slowly changed from 50 liters to 12 liters as 50 J of work is done on it by an external agency. Determine the change in the internal energy of the gas.
The answer is in Joules

1.2. Determine the change in the amount of heat flowing into or out of the system. (For reference, a negative value of heat means it is flowing out of the system.)
the answer is in Joules

2. A gas in a thin plastic bag at atmospheric presure receives 10480 J of heat and, in the process, puffs up the bag, increasing its volume by 0.90 m3. By how much is the internal energy of the gas altered?
the answer is in kJ

3. Heat is added to 4.00 m3 of helium gas in an expandable chamber that thereupon increases its volume by 2.00 m3. If in the process 2.22 kJ of work are done by the gas, what was its original pressure?
the answer is in kPa

Homework Equations

change in energy=W
change in energy=W+Q
change in energy=W+Q+Em

The Attempt at a Solution

1. (50-12)+50
1.2. 88-50
2.(10480)(.9)
3.?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi naspri4, welcome to PF. One serious problem I see is that you're not making sure your units match. For example, your first answer combines Joules with liters, which can never be right.

I agree with using the equation [itex]\Delta U = W + Q[/itex] for change in energy. The problem is that both [itex]\Delta U[/itex] and [itex]Q[/itex] or [itex]W[/itex] are sometimes unknown. There's also another equation you'll need that connects internal energy to temperature for an ideal gas, and that should be enough to solve these problems.

naspri4 said:

Homework Statement

I need some help on these problems, i got most of the other problems right, but these ones I am not sure what to do with. I don't even know if those are the right equations for it. Someone please help.1. A cylinder-and-piston containing an ideal gas is placed in contact a thermal reservoir. The volume of the gas is very slowly changed from 50 liters to 12 liters as 50 J of work is done on it by an external agency. Determine the change in the internal energy of the gas.
The answer is in Joules
If the gas is in contact with a thermal reservoir and it is compressed slowly, what can you say about the temperature of the gas during the process?

1.2. Determine the change in the amount of heat flowing into or out of the system. (For reference, a negative value of heat means it is flowing out of the system.)
the answer is in Joules
Use the answer from the first to determine the heat flow (is it out of or into the gas?).

2. A gas in a thin plastic bag at atmospheric presure receives 10480 J of heat and, in the process, puffs up the bag, increasing its volume by 0.90 m3. By how much is the internal energy of the gas altered?
the answer is in kJ
I think the question must be wrong because the work done exceeds the heat input by about 9 times.

3. Heat is added to 4.00 m3 of helium gas in an expandable chamber that thereupon increases its volume by 2.00 m3. If in the process 2.22 kJ of work are done by the gas, what was its original pressure?
the answer is in kPa
I think you have to assume that the pressure is constant here.

AM

Ok, so for the first question, the temperature would be constant meaning there wouldn't be any change. So how would that help me solve the problem? Did I have my equation set up right at the bottom of the first thread. I tried emailing my teacher via webassign but he has not responded for some unknown reason.

The second one was correct being zero, i don't know how but it was.

What about the third question? Any tips on how to solve it?

naspri4 said:
Ok, so for the first question, the temperature would be constant meaning there wouldn't be any change. So how would that help me solve the problem? Did I have my equation set up right at the bottom of the first thread. I tried emailing my teacher via webassign but he has not responded for some unknown reason.
Apply the first law. If there is no change in U what is the relationship between Q and W?

The second one was correct being zero, i don't know how but it was.
The work done is 101KPa x .9 m^3 =91KJ. If there is a heat flow of only 10.480 KJ this can't happen.

What about the third question? Any tips on how to solve it?
If pressure is constant, what is the relationship between Work and total change in volume?

AM

Last edited:

Related to Thermodynamics: Internal Energy

1. What is internal energy in thermodynamics?

Internal energy in thermodynamics is the total energy of a system, including both its kinetic and potential energy. It is a measure of the microscopic energy contained within the particles of a system, such as molecules or atoms.

2. How is internal energy related to temperature?

Internal energy is directly proportional to temperature. As the temperature of a system increases, its internal energy also increases.

3. Can internal energy be measured?

Yes, internal energy can be measured using various techniques such as calorimetry, which involves measuring the heat transfer between a system and its surroundings.

4. What factors affect the internal energy of a system?

The internal energy of a system is affected by its temperature, pressure, and chemical composition. It can also be affected by external factors such as heat transfer and work done on or by the system.

5. How is internal energy related to the laws of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics states that the change in internal energy of a system is equal to the heat added to the system minus the work done by the system. The second law of thermodynamics states that the total internal energy of a closed system cannot decrease over time.