Thermodynamics imaginary heat machine?

In summary, we have a system with an isothermal process, followed by an adiabatic process, followed by another isothermal process, and finally another adiabatic process. During the isothermal processes, heat is either received or emitted by the system, depending on the direction of the process. The gas in the system is an ideal gas, meaning that the relationship between pressure, volume, and temperature is given by the ideal gas law. When analyzing the P and V relationships, we can determine whether the process is expansion or compression by following the direction of the arrows on the diagram. When the temperature is constant and entropy increases, heat flows into the gas isothermally and the volume increases. Conversely, when the temperature is constant
shahar weiss

Homework Statement

given the following diagram : http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/…

a)mention for every step if it is isothermal / adiabatic / else. does
the system receive heat or emit heat.
b)given this gas is ideal gas, sketch a diagram with respect to P and V
c)calculate work done by 1 cycle, also calculate heat received by the
machine and its efficiency, compare results to carnot engine between
500k and 300k temp diff.

Homework Equations

S/R = ds/R = dQ/RT
ideal gas eq. pv=Rt (n = cons. here)

The Attempt at a Solution

i did part a and found that the process is isothermal->adiabatic->isothermal->adiab…

i cannot decide though where is the expansion and where is compression so I am having hard time decide about and p and v relations.
i would be very happy for assistance

Physics news on Phys.org
shahar weiss said:

The Attempt at a Solution

i did part a and found that the process is isothermal->adiabatic->isothermal->adiab…

i cannot decide though where is the expansion and where is compression so I am having hard time decide about and p and v relations.
i would be very happy for assistance

While I cannot find your diagram in that link, I have pretty good idea of how your diagram looks.

When you compress something, the pressure increases, so on your diagram when the pressure goes from low to high during an isothermal process, compression occurs.

During an isothermal process when the pressure goes from high to low, expansion occurs (since the volume of the gas will increase).

shahar weiss said:
the image is at
http://img547.imageshack.us/i/newbitmapimagez.jpg/

problem is i cannot decide when the system is compressing and when its expanding

You need to follow the arrows. From point 'f' to 'a', the pressure is increasing so that the final temperature is higher than the initial temperature, so compression is occurring there.

i just thought of somehting else, i can know what's the entropy change in the diagram from point to point while knowing the temp diff in those 2 points. maybe this gives me the info of
whether its expansion or comprassion

rock.freak667 said:
You need to follow the arrows. From point 'f' to 'a', the pressure is increasing so that the final temperature is higher than the initial temperature, so compression is occurring there.

how can you know pressure is increasing from f to a? temp is increasing but on the same time maybe volume is decreasing so pressure can stay constant

You know that f to a is an adiabat, so there's no heat transfer. The temperature is increasing, so the internal energy of the gas is increasing. Since there's no heat added to the gas, this increase in energy must be due to work done on the gas; therefore, the gas is being compressed.

shahar weiss said:
how can you know pressure is increasing from f to a? temp is increasing but on the same time maybe volume is decreasing so pressure can stay constant
If S remains constant can there be heat flow? If there is no heat flow, but U increases (ie. T increases) can V remain constant (dV = 0)? If V decreases, can P decrease or stay constant if T increases? (hint: apply the ideal gas law).

If temperature is constant and entropy increases (a-b and c-d), this means that heat flows into the gas isothermally. If temperature is constant and entropy decreases (e-f) heat must flow out of the gas isothermally. If heat is flowing into or out of the gas but the temperature remains the same what must be happening to the volume? (hint: apply the first law dQ = dU + PdV where [itex]Q \ne 0; \Delta U = 0[/itex]). What can you say about the pressure in that case?

AM

Last edited:
Thank you very very much all of the helpers, i really appreciate it thank you

Just to finish matters for future reference:

If S remains constant there is no heat flow. This means (first law) that dU = -PdV.
Since T increases dU>0 so dV < 0. And, since PV=nRT and T increases, a decrease in V (dV<0) means that pressure must increase even more than V decreases. So in f-a P and T increase and V decreases. In d-e, T and P decrease and V increases.

If temperature is constant and entropy decreases (e-f) heat must flow out of the gas isothermally. So dU = 0 and dQ = PdV where dQ is negative. So dV must be negative - volume decreases. Conversely, if T is constant and entropy increases dQ > 0 so dV > 0 (V increases).

AM

Related to Thermodynamics imaginary heat machine?

1. What is a thermodynamics imaginary heat machine?

A thermodynamics imaginary heat machine is a theoretical machine that operates under the principles of thermodynamics, which is the study of the transfer of energy and heat. This machine is used as a model to understand the behavior of real heat engines.

2. How does a thermodynamics imaginary heat machine work?

A thermodynamics imaginary heat machine works by taking in heat from a high-temperature source, converting some of it into work, and then releasing the remaining heat to a low-temperature sink. This process is known as the Carnot cycle and is used to analyze the efficiency of real heat engines.

3. What is the purpose of studying thermodynamics imaginary heat machines?

The study of thermodynamics imaginary heat machines helps scientists understand the fundamental principles of thermodynamics and their applications in real-world systems. It also allows for the development and improvement of real heat engines through the analysis of their efficiency.

4. Can a thermodynamics imaginary heat machine be built?

No, a thermodynamics imaginary heat machine cannot be built as it is only a theoretical model. However, the principles and concepts derived from studying these machines can be applied to the design and construction of real heat engines.

5. What are some real-world examples of thermodynamics imaginary heat machines?

Some examples of real-world systems that can be modeled using thermodynamics imaginary heat machines include steam turbines, refrigerators, and internal combustion engines. These machines all operate based on the principles of thermodynamics and the Carnot cycle.