Thermodynamics Hydrogen question

In summary, the conversation discusses finding delta U and Q for Hydrogen (H2) at standard conditions in a closed tank with a volume of 5l, cooled down by 55K. The question is whether the formula pV = nRT can be used to find n and then calculate delta U. There is also a question about whether work is done by the gas if the volume is constant. The speaker is seeking clarification on certain terms for an upcoming exam. They have also done some work and got a result of 254.9J for U, but are unsure if it is correct.
smiljanic997
1.The problem statement:
Hydrogen (H2) is at standard conditions in a closed tank, V = 5l, and then it's cooled down for 55K. Find delta U and Q.

2. Questions:
If it says standard conditions, can I just use pV = nRT to find n and then deltaU = j/2*nR(delta)T? Also, is there any work that a gas does, if the V is constant?
I'm a bit confused about certain terms here, so I'd like someone to explain it to me, as I'm preparing for an exam at university.Now, I've done some work and my result for U was 254.9J, but I don't know if I'm correct here.

Physics news on Phys.org
smiljanic997 said:
1.The problem statement:
Hydrogen (H2) is at standard conditions in a closed tank, V = 5l, and then it's cooled down for 55K. Find delta U and Q.

2. Questions:
If it says standard conditions, can I just use pV = nRT to find n and then deltaU = j/2*nR(delta)T? Also, is there any work that a gas does, if the V is constant?
I'm a bit confused about certain terms here, so I'd like someone to explain it to me, as I'm preparing for an exam at university.Now, I've done some work and my result for U was 254.9J, but I don't know if I'm correct here.
I confirm your answer.

Related to Thermodynamics Hydrogen question

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that studies the relationships between heat, work, temperature, and energy. It helps us understand how energy is transformed and transferred in various systems.

2. What is hydrogen?

Hydrogen is the lightest and most abundant element in the universe. It is a colorless, odorless, and highly flammable gas. It is also a key component in various chemical reactions and is used in many industrial processes.

3. How is hydrogen used in thermodynamics?

Hydrogen is used in thermodynamics as a working fluid in various types of engines, such as fuel cells and combustion engines. It can also be used in refrigeration and heating systems, as well as in the production of electricity.

4. What is the role of hydrogen in the laws of thermodynamics?

Hydrogen plays a crucial role in the first and second laws of thermodynamics. It is used as a reference point for measuring temperature and pressure, and it also serves as a source of energy in many thermodynamic processes.

5. What are the advantages of using hydrogen in thermodynamics?

There are several advantages of using hydrogen in thermodynamics. It is a clean and renewable source of energy, it has a high energy density, and it produces only water as a byproduct. Additionally, hydrogen can be easily produced from various sources, making it a versatile and sustainable option for energy production.