Thermodynamics: Heat Removed from Rigid Tank.

In summary: The mass of the vapour at the initial state is equal to 0.32kg. The mass of the liquid at the initial state is equal to 0.The mass of the liquid at the final state is equal to the difference between the mass of the vapour at the initial state and the mass of the vapour at the final state: 0.32kg - 0.0591kg = 0.2609kgAssuming that the density of liquid water is equal to 1000 kg/m3 (this is for pure water at a temperature of 20 degree Celsius so it is
Sirsh

Homework Statement

In a rigid sealed tank, 0.32kg of saturated H2O vapour is cooled from 16 bar to 2.70 bar. Determine the heat removed in Kj.

Homework Equations

Q(12)-W(12)=U2-U1

The Attempt at a Solution

Assuming that we're only looking at the saturated vapour internal energies, and there is no work occurring in the system.

State 1 is at 16 bar, and State 2 is at 2.70 bar.

ug1 = 2596 kJ/kg,
ug2 = 2540 kJ/kg.
Ug1 = 0.32*2596 = 830.72kJ
Ug2 = 0.32*2540 = 812.80kJ

Therefore, Q12 = U2 - U1 = 812.80 - 830.72 = -17.92 kJ. But this is counter intuitive as when things are compressed they general go hotter.

Is my logic on this correct or am I totally in the wrong ball park?

Thanks for all your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sirsh said:

Homework Statement

In a rigid sealed tank, 0.32kg of saturated H2O vapour is cooled from 16 bar to 2.70 bar. Determine the heat removed in Kj.

Homework Equations

Q(12)-W(12)=U2-U1

The Attempt at a Solution

Assuming that we're only looking at the saturated vapour internal energies, and there is no work occurring in the system.

State 1 is at 16 bar, and State 2 is at 2.70 bar.

ug1 = 2596 kJ/kg,
ug2 = 2540 kJ/kg.
Ug1 = 0.32*2596 = 830.72kJ
Ug2 = 0.32*2540 = 812.80kJ

Therefore, Q12 = U2 - U1 = 812.80 - 830.72 = -17.92 kJ. But this is counter intuitive as when things are compressed they general go hotter.

Is my logic on this correct or am I totally in the wrong ball park?

Thanks for all your help.

What's being compressed here? P1 > P2 ...

Q is negative because you are removing heat from the vapor inside the tank.

How do you know that you're only looking at saturated vapor? What is the specific volume of the vapor in the initial state, and what is the volume of the tank? What is the specific volume of the vapor in the final state? If it is only vapor in the final state, what is the mass of vapor in the final state? Has the mass of water in the tank actually changed?

Chet

@SteamKing Sorry mate, for some reason I wrote that thinking it was being compressed when it's actually expanding so it should be getting colder and as such will have a negative value of heat associated with it.

Chestermiller said:
How do you know that you're only looking at saturated vapor? What is the specific volume of the vapor in the initial state, and what is the volume of the tank? What is the specific volume of the vapor in the final state? If it is only vapor in the final state, what is the mass of vapor in the final state? Has the mass of water in the tank actually changed?

Chet

Given the problem statement "In a rigid sealed tank, 0.32kg of saturated H2O vapour is cooled from 16 bar to 2.70 bar. Determine the heat removed in Kj." I believe that there is no need for specific volume of the final or initial state to be required as it is a rigid vessel and as such the volume remains constant.

Also, I think we're looking at saturated vapour only because of the fact there is no dryness fraction to determine a mixture of liquid-vapour and given the problem states 'saturated H2O vapour' I am assuming that this means that we're using vapour only otherwise if it were to state 'saturated H2O liquid' then I'd refer to the internal energies of the saturated liquid at those pressures.

If the tank is rigid then the mass at the initial state is equal to that of the final state, and this must be the case as I'm trying to apply the 1st law of thermodynamics for a closed system.

Is it safe to assume that my assumptions are along the right lines?

Cheers

Sirsh said:
@SteamKing Sorry mate, for some reason I wrote that thinking it was being compressed when it's actually expanding so it should be getting colder and as such will have a negative value of heat associated with it.
Given the problem statement "In a rigid sealed tank, 0.32kg of saturated H2O vapour is cooled from 16 bar to 2.70 bar. Determine the heat removed in Kj." I believe that there is no need for specific volume of the final or initial state to be required as it is a rigid vessel and as such the volume remains constant.

Also, I think we're looking at saturated vapour only because of the fact there is no dryness fraction to determine a mixture of liquid-vapour and given the problem states 'saturated H2O vapour' I am assuming that this means that we're using vapour only otherwise if it were to state 'saturated H2O liquid' then I'd refer to the internal energies of the saturated liquid at those pressures.

If the tank is rigid then the mass at the initial state is equal to that of the final state, and this must be the case as I'm trying to apply the 1st law of thermodynamics for a closed system.

Is it safe to assume that my assumptions are along the right lines?

Cheers
No! Some liquid water will form when you remove the heat. We call this condensation. Now, please go back up my questions on post#3 and answer these questions. This will get you started toward the correct solution.

Chet

Chestermiller said:

Chet

At 16 bar the specific volume of the vapour is equal to 0.1237 m3/kg. The volume of the tank therefore is equal to: (0.1237m3/kg)*(0.32kg) = 0.0396 m3.

At 2.7 bar the specific volume of the vapour is equal to 0.6686 m3/kg.

The mass of the vapour in the final state is therefore equal to: (0.0396m3) / (0.6686 m3/kg) = 0.0592 kg.

If there is 0.0592 kg of vapour in the final state this means that there is 0.32 kg - 0.0592 kg = 0.2607 kg of water in the final state?

Sirsh said:
At 16 bar the specific volume of the vapour is equal to 0.1237 m3/kg. The volume of the tank therefore is equal to: (0.1237m3/kg)*(0.32kg) = 0.0396 m3.

At 2.7 bar the specific volume of the vapour is equal to 0.6686 m3/kg.

The mass of the vapour in the final state is therefore equal to: (0.0396m3) / (0.6686 m3/kg) = 0.0592 kg.

If there is 0.0592 kg of vapour in the final state this means that there is 0.32 kg - 0.0592 kg = 0.2607 kg of water in the final state?
OK. Now you're on the right track. But you didn't determine the amounts of liquid water and water vapor in the tank quite correctly (although your results are close). Here's what you know:
  • At 2.7 bar, there is saturated liquid water and saturated vapor in the tank
  • The average specific volume of the liquid/vapor combination in the tank is 0.1237 m3/kg.
  • The specific volume of the vapor in the tank is 0.6686 m3/kg
What is the specific volume of the saturated liquid in the tank?
You know the formula for the average specific volume of the liquid/vapor combination in the tank in terms of the specific volume of the liquid, the specific volume of the vapor, and the mass fraction of liquid. What is that formula? Now, use that formula to determine the mass fraction of liquid in the tank. Then determine the mass of liquid and the mass of vapor in the tank.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
OK. Now you're on the right track. But you didn't determine the amounts of liquid water and water vapor in the tank quite correctly (although your results are close). Here's what you know:
  • At 2.7 bar, there is saturated liquid water and saturated vapor in the tank
  • The average specific volume of the liquid/vapor combination in the tank is 0.1237 m3/kg.
  • The specific volume of the vapor in the tank is 0.6686 m3/kg
What is the specific volume of the saturated liquid in the tank?
You know the formula for the average specific volume of the liquid/vapor combination in the tank in terms of the specific volume of the liquid, the specific volume of the vapor, and the mass fraction of liquid. What is that formula? Now, use that formula to determine the mass fraction of liquid in the tank. Then determine the mass of liquid and the mass of vapor in the tank.

Chet

vave = (mliquid*vf + mvapour*vg) / mtotal

I know that:
vave = 0.1237 m3/kg
mvapour = 0.0592 kg
mtotal = 0.32 kg
vg = 0.6686 m3/kg

mliquid*vf = vave*mtotal - mvapour*vg

mliquid*vf = (0.1237*0.32)-(0.0592*0.6686) = 2.88*10^-6 m3

This is where I get stuck.. Is this my mass fraction for the liquid in the tank? if it is, then I can multiply this by the total mass within the tank and I'll have the mass of the liquid, likewise if I do this with mvapour*vg ill get the mass of the vapour in the tank?

The mass of water vapor in the tank is less than 0.0592 kg. It would only be 0.0592 kg if the entire tank volume (0.0396 m3) were filled with vapor. But, some of the tank volume has liquid in it, so the volume of water vapor in the tank is less than 0.0396 m3.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
The mass of water vapor in the tank is less than 0.0592 kg. It would only be 0.0592 kg if the entire tank volume (0.0396 m3) were filled with vapor. But, some of the tank volume has liquid in it, so the volume of water vapor in the tank is less than 0.0396 m3.

Chet

Okay so here is another take at the problem.

Using: vave = (1-x)*vf + x*vg

vave = 0.1237 m3/kg
vf (2.7 bar) = 0.1070*10-2 m3/kg
vg (2.7 bar) = 0.6686 m3/kg

Therefore:

0.1237 = (1-x)*(0.1070*10-2) + x*(0.6686), x = 0.1837

mliquid = (1-x)*mtotal = (1-0.1837)*0.32 = 0.2612 kg
mvapour = x*mtotal = 0.1837*0.32 = 0.0587 (less than 0.0592 thus doesn't fill the whole tank.

Is this the correct approach?

Sirsh said:
Okay so here is another take at the problem.

Using: vave = (1-x)*vf + x*vg

vave = 0.1237 m3/kg
vf (2.7 bar) = 0.1070*10-2 m3/kg
vg (2.7 bar) = 0.6686 m3/kg

Therefore:

0.1237 = (1-x)*(0.1070*10-2) + x*(0.6686), x = 0.1837

mliquid = (1-x)*mtotal = (1-0.1837)*0.32 = 0.2612 kg
mvapour = x*mtotal = 0.1837*0.32 = 0.0587 (less than 0.0592 thus doesn't fill the whole tank.

Is this the correct approach?
Yes! Now all that's left is to determine the change in internal energy.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Yes! Now all that's left is to determine the change in internal energy.

Chet

To determine the change in internal energy I assume this is the approach I must take.

The internal energy at state 1 (16 bar) is equal to only the internal energy from the vapour phase and considering only vapour exists here we use the total mass 0.32kg. Thus:

U1 = ug*mtotal
U1 = 2596kJ/kg * 0.32 kg = 830.72 kJ

At state 2 (2.7 bar) we have a mixture due to condensation of water. Thus:
U2 = uf*mliq + ug*mvap
U2 = 546 kJ/kg * 0.2612 kg + 2540 kJ/kg * 0.0587 kg = 142.62 kJ + 149.09 kJ = 291.72 kJ

Change in internal energy is equal to U2 - U1, therefore:

U2 - U1 = 291.72 kJ - 830.72 kJ = -539.00 kJ (Negative energy due to expansion).

Sirsh said:
To determine the change in internal energy I assume this is the approach I must take.

The internal energy at state 1 (16 bar) is equal to only the internal energy from the vapour phase and considering only vapour exists here we use the total mass 0.32kg. Thus:

U1 = ug*mtotal
U1 = 2596kJ/kg * 0.32 kg = 830.72 kJ

At state 2 (2.7 bar) we have a mixture due to condensation of water. Thus:
U2 = uf*mliq + ug*mvap
U2 = 546 kJ/kg * 0.2612 kg + 2540 kJ/kg * 0.0587 kg = 142.62 kJ + 149.09 kJ = 291.72 kJ

Change in internal energy is equal to U2 - U1, therefore:

U2 - U1 = 291.72 kJ - 830.72 kJ = -539.00 kJ (Negative energy due to expansion).
Your answer is right, but your interpretation is not. The decrease in internal energy is the result of removing the heat of condensation.

Chestermiller said:
Your answer is right, but your interpretation is not. The decrease in internal energy is the result of removing the heat of condensation.

I see! Thank you very much for your help Chet, very much appreciated as always.

Related to Thermodynamics: Heat Removed from Rigid Tank.

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationships between heat, energy, and work. It studies how energy is transferred between systems and how it affects their properties and behaviors.

2. What is a rigid tank?

A rigid tank is a container that is completely sealed and does not allow any volume changes. This means that the tank cannot expand or contract, and the pressure inside remains constant.

3. How is heat removed from a rigid tank?

Heat can be removed from a rigid tank through several methods, such as cooling the tank with a heat exchanger or using a refrigerant to absorb the heat. The specific method used depends on the application and the properties of the substance inside the tank.

4. What is the purpose of removing heat from a rigid tank?

Removing heat from a rigid tank is important for maintaining the stability and safety of the substance inside. If the temperature of the substance is too high, it can cause damage to the tank and potentially lead to an explosion or other hazardous situations.

5. How does the removal of heat affect the properties of a substance in a rigid tank?

The removal of heat from a rigid tank can cause changes in the properties of the substance, such as a decrease in temperature and pressure. This can also lead to changes in the state of the substance, such as a phase change from liquid to gas. These changes are governed by the laws of thermodynamics.