Thermodynamics Entropy Question

In summary, the change in entropy is -386.3J/K as 45g of H2O(g) are condensed at 100 degrees C, H2O(l) is cooled to 0 degrees C and then frozen to H2O solid. The specific heat capacity of H2O(l) is 4.2 J K-1g-1, and the heat of vaporization at 100 degrees C is 2258 J g-1, while the heat of fusion at 0 degrees C is 334 J g. The equation used to calculate the change in entropy is dS=dq/T, where q represents the heat absorbed or released and T is the temperature. The final result was found to be
ab94

Homework Statement

45g of H2O(g) are condensed at 100 degrees C, and H2O(l) is cooled to 0 degrees C and then frozen to H2O solid. Find the Change in Entropy

H2O(l): 4.2 J K-1g-1
vaporization at 100 degrees C: 2258 J g-1;
fusion at 0 degrees C: 334 J g

Homework Equations

dS=dq/T

The Attempt at a Solution

q1=(45g)(2258J/g) = -101610J
q2=(45g)(4.2J/K/g)(100K) = -18900J
q3=(45g)(334J/g)= -15030J

Total q=-135540J / 273.15K
delta S = -496.2J/K

I'm not sure if I did that right, can anybody double check? Thank you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think I solved my mistake, I'm not supposed to divide by T at the end, I need to do it for each step.

So q1= -101610J/373.15K = -272.3J/K
q2= 45gx4.2J/K/g x ln(273.15K/373.15K) = -58.96J/K
q3= -15030J/273.15K = -55.02J/K

Total Change in Entropy= -386.3J/K

Related to Thermodynamics Entropy Question

1. What is thermodynamics entropy?

Thermodynamics entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness of a system. It is a fundamental concept in thermodynamics that describes the tendency of a system to move towards a state of maximum disorder.

2. How is thermodynamics entropy related to the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. This means that in any spontaneous process, the total disorder of the system will increase, and this is reflected by an increase in the thermodynamics entropy.

3. Can thermodynamics entropy be reversed?

No, thermodynamics entropy cannot be reversed. The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase, and this is a fundamental principle of thermodynamics.

4. What factors affect the thermodynamics entropy of a system?

There are several factors that can affect the thermodynamics entropy of a system, including temperature, pressure, and the number of particles present. Generally, an increase in temperature or pressure will result in an increase in entropy, while a decrease in these factors will result in a decrease in entropy.

5. How is thermodynamics entropy measured?

Thermodynamics entropy is measured in units of joules per kelvin (J/K). It is a calculated value based on the temperature and energy of a system, and cannot be directly measured. However, changes in entropy can be measured and used to calculate the overall entropy of a system.