Thermodynamics Energy balance Equation

In summary, Jared is discussing thermodynamics and how the energy balance equation works. He explains that j is the work needed to push mass into or out of the studied volume and it is in units of kj/kg. He also mentions that some problems he has had in understanding the material are located on thermofluids.net in the examples tab and in chapter 2 of the book.
jaredogden
I am going over some thermodynamics right now and I am looking at the energy balance equation which is dE/dt = mdot*j(in) - mdot*j(out) + Qdot + Wdot(external)

I understand this means that the change in energy with respect to time equals the sum of the mass energy that goes into a system, minus the mass energy that exits the system plus the heat transfer, minus the work transfer from external things such as pdv work, shaft work, or electrical work.

My question for this equation is what exactly is the j in the equation? I have been trying to figure out what exactly j is and its units. If anyone has an explanation for this and can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks ahead of time
Jared

(I tried using summation for the mdot*j in and out and I couldn't get it to work properly)

EDIT: I read that j is: the work, or energy, needed to push mass into, or out of, the control volume, in order to maintain continuous flow.

I think that explains it pretty well but it anyone has an even simpler way to break this down it might help even more. Thanks again

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I presume you are referring to this flow equation?

http://www.edforall.net/index.php/engineering-a-technology/aeronautical-engineering/78-thermodynamics/1630-steady-flow-energy-equation

Yes that is the flow equation I was referring to. That looks like a good web site, I'll have to take a more detailed look at it. Thanks

but the end result is always that energy is conserved. So energy is very similar to a bank account in this sense.

I wish, I wish my bank account had this enviable property.

:wink:

Good exposition, though.

go well

simply : j(out) and j(in) are the enthalpy of the fluid while entring and exiting the studied volume, the unit is kj/kg.
http://www.firavia.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you guys for your help. I understand it a lot better now and I'm definitely going to have to bookmark those pages. Now if I could just get some problems right.. I feel like I understand the lectures when my professor is talking in class, but then I start to do the homework or example problems and are completely lost.

Some of the example problems I have done and got lost on are located at my professors website thermofluids.net in the examples tab at the bottom and chapter 2 in case it interests you guys. If I find a specific problem that isn't worked out I'll have to post it to get help. Most of them are worked out and I understand where I made my mistakes, the problem for me is fixing those mistakes and being able so see things that I normally don't pick up on.

Related to Thermodynamics Energy balance Equation

What is the Thermodynamics Energy balance Equation?

The Thermodynamics Energy balance Equation is a fundamental equation in thermodynamics that describes the relationship between energy transfer, heat transfer, and work done in a system. It is also known as the First Law of Thermodynamics.

What is the significance of the Thermodynamics Energy balance Equation?

The Thermodynamics Energy balance Equation is significant because it helps us understand how energy is conserved in a system. It also allows us to calculate the amount of energy that is transferred or converted in a given process.

How is the Thermodynamics Energy balance Equation derived?

The Thermodynamics Energy balance Equation is derived from the principles of conservation of energy and the work-energy theorem. It states that the change in internal energy of a system is equal to the heat added to the system minus the work done by the system.

What are the different forms of the Thermodynamics Energy balance Equation?

The Thermodynamics Energy balance Equation can be expressed in different forms, depending on the specific system and process being analyzed. The most common forms are the closed system form, the open system form, and the steady-state form.

How is the Thermodynamics Energy balance Equation used in real-world applications?

The Thermodynamics Energy balance Equation is used in various engineering and scientific fields, including thermodynamics, chemical engineering, and environmental science. It is essential in the design and optimization of energy systems, such as power plants, refrigeration systems, and chemical processes.