Thermodynamics cycles quick question

In summary: Here's a picture that might make it clearer:In summary, the gas is under the piston in the cylinder, and the gas above the piston is still outside of the cylinder. The pressure inside the cylinder is increasing at a constant volume, and the temperature of the gas has to be high enough to lift the piston in order to start doing work.
Jaydude
I'm unsure of part b of the question 7 below;
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1423230802.914015.jpg

My attempt:
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1423230835.870688.jpg

I'm confused as to what direction the arrows are meant to go.
If heat transfer occurs to the gas, and the piston rises, the volume must have decreased in the cylinder.

So from state 1 - 2, the gas is cooling or heating up? This is a isobaric process right?
And from states 2- 3 the piston moves up, known as isochoric?

Finally therefore is my process path correct?

Thanks, kind regards,
Jay

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Jay. Welcome to Physics Forums.

I have bad news for you. Sorry. Your analysis is completely incorrect.

The weight of the piston is supported on the ridge inside the cylinder, until the pressure within the cylinder is high enough to start lifting the piston. So when heat is being added to the gas in the first stage of the process, the pressure of the gas is increasing at constant volume. How high does the temperature of the gas have to get before the pressure is high enough to start lifting the piston? In the second stage of the process, heat continues to be added to the gas, but now the piston is rising, so that its pressure stays constant. How high does the temperature of the gas have to get in this stage of the process to bring about the desired increase in volume?

Now, re-evaluate the PV diagram and see what you come up with.

Chet

Still slightly confused;

So the gas is actually under the piston in the cylinder? Can you provide pictures as I can't visualise what you mean.
What about the gas above the piston?

Although if the gas is under the piston, I guess heating it up, doing work on it would increase pressure, which would produce force up on piston which makes sense, or am I completely wrong again?

Thanks

The cylinder is vertical, and the gas is within the cylinder. The piston sits on top of the gas, and there is air outside. The bore of the cylinder has two sections: (1) drilled from the top all the way down the length of the cylinder, at a diameter slightly less than that of the piston (2) drilled half way down the length of the cylinder from the top, with a diameter essentially equal to that of the piston (so that the piston slides freely). Initially, the piston sits on the ridge between the two sections, half way down the length.

Chet

Related to Thermodynamics cycles quick question

1. What is a thermodynamic cycle?

A thermodynamic cycle is a series of thermodynamic processes that occur in a specific order and return the system to its original state. It is used to describe the flow of energy through a system.

2. What are the main types of thermodynamic cycles?

The main types of thermodynamic cycles include Carnot, Brayton, Rankine, and Otto cycles. Each cycle has a different purpose and is used in various applications such as power generation and refrigeration.

3. What is the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics, also known as the law of conservation of energy, states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another.

4. How does a thermodynamic cycle work?

A thermodynamic cycle works by transferring energy from one process to another, typically through the use of heat and work. This allows the system to undergo a series of changes and eventually return to its original state.

5. What is the importance of thermodynamic cycles?

Thermodynamic cycles are crucial in understanding and predicting the behavior of various systems, including engines, power plants, and refrigeration systems. They also play a significant role in the development of efficient and sustainable energy technologies.