(thermodynamics) chemical potential

In summary, it is necessary for systems containing several components and phases that the chemical potential of each component be the same in every phase. This is done using the differential gibbs free energy of each phase.
asdf1
Why for systems containing several components and phases does it require that the chemical potential of ecah component must be idential in every phase?

Physics news on Phys.org
asdf1 said:
Why for systems containing several components and phases does it require that the chemical potential of ecah component must be idential in every phase?

You can mathematically derive this result using the differential gibbs free energy of each phase. I'll give an outline and you can derive the rest.

If you have n moles of chemical species (ie, [itex]n_i[/itex] moles of the [itex]i^{th}[/itex] species), the differential of the gibbs free energy, for this single phase, open system is

[tex] d(nG) = \left( \frac{\partial nG}{\partial P} \right)_{T,n} dP + \left( \frac{\partial nG}{\partial T} \right)_{P,n} dT + \sum_i \left( \frac{\partial nG}{\partial n_i} \right)_{P,T,n_j} dn_i [/tex]

Since we define chemical potential as

[tex] \mu_i = \left( \frac{\partial nG}{\partial n_i} \right)_{P,T,n_j} [/tex]

and using maxwell's relation, the equation becomes

[tex] d(nG) = nVdP - nSdT + \sum_i \mu_i dn_i [/tex]

If you now have k phases with each phase having n species, you can think of each individual phase as an open system (cause it's free to transfer mass). So, you can apply the above equation to each phase individually.

Now here's the important part. At equilibirium P & T are same throughout the whole system. Can you see that if you look at the entire system (with all the species and phases), it's closed? This means you can say that for the entire system,

[tex]d(nG) = nVdP - nSdT [/tex]

For the whole mass of the entire closed system.

Now, the total gibbs free energy is given by the sum over each phase. But, this value must be equal to the the gibbs free energy of the entire closed system. So, compare the two equations and consider pairs of phases.

Can you take it from here and get the result?

Last edited:
Yes! Thank you very much for explaining!

asdf1 said:
Yes! Thank you very much for explaining!

Well, I didn't explain it fully, and there's quite a bit you still have to do to get the result. Are you sure you understood fully? Can you fill the gap and post the rest of the derivation here?

Because my mathematics is not all that good, can I think of this question in another way?
From looking at the word, chemical potential, it has to do with a component's ability to react. So the componets must have the same chemical potential, otherwise chemical reactions will occur, and the phase won't be stable?

asdf1 said:
From looking at the word, chemical potential, it has to do with a component's ability to react. So the componets must have the same chemical potential, otherwise chemical reactions will occur, and the phase won't be stable?

That's a circular argument, so I don't think it will work. If your prof asked this in a test, I think he would expect a mathematical derivation.

asdf, If your math is causing you a problem, you should work on improving it because it's really essential in both science and engineering. Have you thought about summer classes, or some external coaching?

good suggestion... i agree with you. I'm trying to work on my math...

Related to (thermodynamics) chemical potential

1. What is chemical potential in thermodynamics?

Chemical potential in thermodynamics is a measure of the energy required to add or remove a particle from a system while holding the temperature, volume, and number of particles constant. It is also known as the Gibbs free energy.

2. How is chemical potential related to equilibrium?

In thermodynamics, chemical potential is closely related to the concept of equilibrium. At equilibrium, the chemical potential of a substance in a system is equal to the chemical potential of the same substance in the surroundings. This allows for the exchange of particles between the system and surroundings to reach a state of balance.

3. What factors affect chemical potential?

The chemical potential of a substance is influenced by several factors, including temperature, pressure, and the concentration of the substance. It is also affected by the type of interactions between particles, such as attractive or repulsive forces.

4. How is chemical potential used in practical applications?

Chemical potential is a crucial concept in thermodynamics and is used in various practical applications, such as determining the direction of chemical reactions, predicting phase changes, and studying the behavior of solutions. It is also used in industries such as chemical engineering and materials science.

5. Can chemical potential be negative?

Yes, chemical potential can be negative. This occurs when the substance in the system has a lower energy than the same substance in the surroundings. A negative chemical potential indicates that the substance will tend to move from the surroundings into the system in order to reach equilibrium.