Thermodynamic Query: Calculating Heat Transfer for Monoatomic Gas at S.T.P.

In summary, one gram molecule of a monoatomic gas is taken at s.t.p. and kept at constant volume. Its temperature is raised by 1k. Then, one gram molecule of the gas is added isothermally to this. The mixture is then cooled by 1k at constant volume to return to s.t.p. If [c][/v] be the gram molecular specific heat of gas at constant volume, the net heat transfer in the whole process is 3[c][/v]. The volume occupied by one gram molecule of the gas at s.t.p. is 22.4l. When more gas is added, the pressure, volume, and temperature remain constant. The work done in the isothermal process is
shrutiphysics
one gram molecule of monoatomic gas is taken at s.t.p. keeping its volume constant,its temperature is raised by 1k. one gram molecule of the gas is added isothermally to this.the mixture is now cooled by 1k at constant volume to return to s.t.p. if [c][/v] be gram molecular specific heat of gas constant volume, net heat transfer in the whole process is??

my solution: for 1st step- w=o,q=u=n[c][/v]dt=[c][/v]
2nd step-i don't know what will be q=?..as u=0, q=w, but how to find w?
3rd step-q=2[c][/v]

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the volume occupied by one gram molecule of a gas at s.t.p?
When you add some more gas, what happens to P, V, T? (T is constant since process is isothermal).
Once you have have found final volume, then use ##W=\int PdV##

This is a very poorly defined problem. You are not told how the two gases are combined. It could be at constant pressure, for all we know. That is the simplest case to consider.

Chet

Likes AdityaDev
AdityaDev said:
What is the volume occupied by one gram molecule of a gas at s.t.p?
When you add some more gas, what happens to P, V, T? (T is constant since process is isothermal).
Once you have have found final volume, then use ##W=\int PdV##

volume at stp. is 22.4l. since we add 1mole gas it becomes 44.8l then should i use w=nrtlogv2/v1 (work done is isothermal process).
but if i use this answer is not coming.
i also thought that q=msdt and since temperature in second step is constant so q=0. is this correct??

the answer given is 3[c][/v].

Chestermiller said:
This is a very poorly defined problem. You are not told how the two gases are combined. It could be at constant pressure, for all we know. That is the simplest case to consider.

Chet

i am sorry but this is how the question was given in my book

Related to Thermodynamic Query: Calculating Heat Transfer for Monoatomic Gas at S.T.P.

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of heat and its relation to other forms of energy and work. It aims to understand and predict how energy is transferred and transformed between different forms.

2. What is a monoatomic gas?

A monoatomic gas is a gas composed of single atoms that are not bonded together. Examples of monoatomic gases include helium, neon, and argon.

3. What is S.T.P.?

S.T.P. stands for standard temperature and pressure. It refers to a set of standard conditions used for measuring and comparing gases. S.T.P. is defined as a temperature of 273.15 K (0 degrees Celsius) and a pressure of 1 atmosphere (101.3 kPa).

4. How do you calculate heat transfer for a monoatomic gas at S.T.P.?

The heat transfer for a monoatomic gas at S.T.P. can be calculated using the formula Q = nRΔT, where Q is the heat transfer, n is the number of moles of the gas, R is the gas constant, and ΔT is the change in temperature. This formula is based on the first law of thermodynamics, which states that the change in internal energy of a system is equal to the heat added to the system minus the work done by the system.

5. What factors affect heat transfer for a monoatomic gas at S.T.P.?

The factors that affect heat transfer for a monoatomic gas at S.T.P. include the temperature difference, the number of moles of gas, and the gas constant. Additionally, the type of process (e.g. isothermal, adiabatic) and the type of gas (e.g. monoatomic, diatomic) can also affect heat transfer. The properties of the container and the surrounding environment may also play a role in heat transfer.