Thermodynamic cycle p-v to T-s

In summary, the conversation discusses a thermodynamic cycle with two polytropic processes and one isochoric process. The known data includes pressure and temperature values, and the equations for the polytropic processes are given. The individual is seeking help with plotting the data on a T-s diagram and mentions using a Legendre transformation.
gezibash

Homework Statement

I have been given a description of a thermodynamic cycle that looks like this. I have two polytropic processes (n1=1.2, n2=1.9), and one isochoric. The known data are:

p1 = 1 bar
T1 = 15 °C

p2 = 15 bar

Homework Equations

p v^(1.2) = 0.7958
p v^(1.9) = 0.69657

The Attempt at a Solution

As you can see I've been able to compute the necessary values for the cycle in P-v. My interest is to now compute the values in T-s. I have all the temperatures, and using software I was able to compute the entropy for all points. My question is, how can I plot the data on the T-s diagram. For example, to plot the polytropes all I did was

p = 0.7958 v^(-1.2)

and it shows as a graph. My interest is now how to plot the polytrope in the T-s diagram, or at least how can I approach this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Do you know how to make a Legendre transformation?

Related to Thermodynamic cycle p-v to T-s

1. What is a thermodynamic cycle?

A thermodynamic cycle is a sequence of thermodynamic processes that occur in a closed system and ultimately return the system to its initial state. These cycles are used to study the behavior and efficiency of various thermodynamic systems.

2. What is the p-v to T-s thermodynamic cycle?

The p-v to T-s thermodynamic cycle is a specific type of thermodynamic cycle that is used to analyze the behavior of substances as they undergo changes in pressure, volume, temperature, and entropy. This cycle is often used to study the performance of engines and refrigeration systems.

3. How does the p-v to T-s cycle work?

The p-v to T-s cycle typically involves four main processes: isentropic compression, constant pressure heat addition, isentropic expansion, and constant pressure heat rejection. These processes are represented on a p-v diagram and a T-s diagram, which show the changes in pressure, volume, temperature, and entropy of the substance throughout the cycle.

4. What are the applications of the p-v to T-s cycle?

The p-v to T-s cycle is commonly used in the design and analysis of thermodynamic systems such as engines, refrigeration systems, and power plants. It allows engineers to determine the efficiency and performance of these systems and make improvements to their design.

5. What are some limitations of the p-v to T-s cycle?

While the p-v to T-s cycle is a useful tool for studying thermodynamic systems, it does have some limitations. It assumes ideal conditions and does not account for factors such as friction and heat losses, which can affect the performance of real systems. Additionally, it may not be applicable to all types of thermodynamic processes.