Thermochemistry Problems: How Do I Solve These Two Heat Release Calculations?

In summary, the conversation is about two different homework problems related to calculating heat released in chemical reactions. The first problem involves mixing HCl and NaOH, while the second problem involves the combustion of benzene in oxygen. The equations needed to solve these problems are q=ms delta T and C=n/V, but the person asking for help is struggling with converting between volume, molarity, and moles in order to use these equations. They express frustration and a lack of understanding in their current school's teaching methods and suggest changing schools for better instruction.
Indifference8
I have more than one problem I need help with. Any help is extremely appreciated.

Homework Statement

Problem 1. The heat of neutralization of HCl by NaOH is delta H of reaction = -56.2 kj/mol. How much heat is released when 125mL of 1.750 M HCl is mixed with 195mL of 0.667 M NaOH?

Homework Equations

q= ms delta T

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to get this problem from volume and molarity to something like grams or moles that I can actually work with.

Homework Statement

Problem 2. The combustion of one mole of benzene, C6H6, in oxygen liberates 3268 kJ of heat. The products of the reaction are carbon dioxide and water. How much heat is given off when 183 g of oxygen are reacted with excess benzene?

Homework Equations

q = ms delta T

The Attempt at a Solution

I also have no idea how to even begin this problem. I don't even quite understand what they are asking for, let alone answering it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Indifference8 said:
I have no idea how to get this problem from volume and molarity to something like grams or moles that I can actually work with.

Change school as fast as possible. If they have not taught you how to calculate number of moles of substance dissolved when you are given volume and concentration, they won't be able to teach you anything about termochemistry.

Basically all you need to know is that C=n/V.

--

it is important to approach problems like these with a systematic and logical approach. In order to solve these heat release calculations, we need to understand the concept of heat and how it is related to the reactants and products in a chemical reaction. The first step would be to write out the balanced chemical equations for both reactions and determine the moles of the reactants and products involved. From there, we can use the given heat of reaction values to calculate the heat released or absorbed during the reactions.

For Problem 1, we can use the equation q = ms delta T, where q is the heat released, m is the mass of the solution, s is the specific heat capacity of the solution, and delta T is the change in temperature. Since we are given the volumes and molarities of the reactants, we can use the formula M = moles/volume to calculate the moles of HCl and NaOH present in the solution. From there, we can use the mole ratio from the balanced equation to determine the moles of HCl and NaOH that will react. Finally, we can use the given heat of neutralization value to calculate the heat released during the reaction.

For Problem 2, we can use the same approach of writing out the balanced chemical equation and using the given heat of reaction value to calculate the heat released. In this case, we are given the mass of oxygen, so we can use the molar mass of oxygen to determine the moles of oxygen present. From there, we can use the mole ratio from the balanced equation to determine the moles of benzene that will react. Finally, we can use the given heat of reaction value to calculate the heat released during the reaction.

In both problems, it is important to keep track of units and use conversion factors as needed to ensure that the final answer is in the correct units (kJ). I hope this helps guide you in solving these problems. Remember, as a scientist, it is important to approach problems with a systematic and logical approach, and to always double check your work to ensure accuracy. Good luck!

Related to Thermochemistry Problems: How Do I Solve These Two Heat Release Calculations?

What is thermochemistry?

Thermochemistry is the branch of science that studies the relationship between heat and other forms of energy in chemical reactions.

What are some common units used in thermochemistry?

The most common units used in thermochemistry are joules (J), calories (cal), and kilojoules per mole (kJ/mol).

What is enthalpy and how is it related to thermochemistry?

Enthalpy is a measure of the total energy of a system, including both potential and kinetic energy. It is related to thermochemistry because it is used to quantify the heat energy exchanged during a chemical reaction.

What is an endothermic reaction?

An endothermic reaction is a chemical reaction that absorbs heat energy from its surroundings, resulting in a decrease in temperature.

How do I calculate the change in enthalpy for a reaction?

The change in enthalpy (ΔH) can be calculated by subtracting the enthalpy of the products from the enthalpy of the reactants. This can be determined using the enthalpy values provided in a thermochemical equation or by using a calorimeter to measure the heat released or absorbed during the reaction.