Thermo cyphon to drive barbeque spit?

In summary: Russ or Brewnog, In summary, this person is trying to create a thermo cyphon to use on their barbeque that will drive the spit. They think that by using an array of convection tubes, they will be able to create a pressure high enough to move the spit.
Steve Stone
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if it might be possible to drive the spit on my barbeque using a thermo cyphon in a closed water system...

The idea being to have a standard 22mm domestic copper pipe running through the bbq fire. Both ends of the pipe would be connected to a small water tank away from the fire and filled with water and ice.

The bbq coals would heat the water in the pipe causing it to expand which would then cause the water to flow in a circular motion.

If I had a small paddle wheel in the water tank with the paddles directly infront of the inlet (the shortest pipe from the heat source) the flow might drive the wheel.

I have experimented with this idea, but the problem is power.

How can I increase the force of the water to drive the paddle wheel and so drive the bbq spit?

Many thanks,

Steve

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
Russ or Brewnog are probably best-suited to answer this. My thought is to restrict the outlet flow with a nozzle of some sort to increase the pressure, but I really don't know enough about it to be sure.

Thanks,

I found this on the internet. Do you think it would work?

An array of several convection tubes are positioned in a series configuration to provide the equivalent of a very tall convection current generating tower, the pressure and fluid flow of the array thereby becoming capable of significant pressures such as the pressures necessary to move solar heated air into the confines of a rock storage area, the pressure increases of this array being achieved by the additive effects of connecting heated and cooled convecting columns together alternately in such a way that the output of one is connected to the input of another.

...Presumably, the cool tubes of water would be outside of the coals in the bbq - the water running in and out of the coals via the tubes.

What do you think?

Thanks for your help guys,

Steve

Related to Thermo cyphon to drive barbeque spit?

1. How does a thermo cyphon work?

A thermo cyphon uses the principle of convection to circulate liquid or gas through a system. In the case of a barbeque spit, the heat from the fire causes the liquid to expand and rise, creating a flow that turns the spit.

2. What type of liquid is typically used in a thermo cyphon for a barbeque spit?

Water is the most commonly used liquid in a thermo cyphon for a barbeque spit. It is easily accessible, has a high heat capacity, and is non-toxic.

3. Can a thermo cyphon be used on any type of barbeque spit?

Yes, a thermo cyphon can be used on any type of barbeque spit as long as it is properly designed to accommodate the system. It is important to have a sturdy structure to support the weight of the spit and the rotating meat.

4. Is a thermo cyphon more efficient than a motor-driven barbeque spit?

In terms of energy consumption, a thermo cyphon can be more efficient as it does not require electricity. However, it may not rotate the spit at a consistent speed compared to a motor-driven spit. The efficiency also depends on the design and construction of the system.

5. Are there any safety concerns with using a thermo cyphon for a barbeque spit?

As with any system involving fire, there are potential safety concerns. It is important to monitor the heat and liquid levels to prevent overheating and boiling over. It is also important to have proper ventilation to avoid the buildup of carbon monoxide. Additionally, the structure and components of the thermo cyphon should be regularly inspected for any wear or damage.