Thermo: A Flat Tire and a Pressurized Tank

In summary: For the tank, $$P_2V_2=nRT_f=\frac{(7.83)(0.082)(362)}{30}=8.82$$For the tire, $$P_2V_2=nRT_f=\frac{(1.43)(0.082)(362)}{10}=4.46$$In summary, the initial temperature of the air in the tank is 293 K and in the tire is also 293 K. After filling, the temperature in the tank is 280.4 K and in the tire is 362 K. The eventual pressure in the tank is 8.82 atm and in the tire is 4.46 atm.
Thyferra2680

Homework Statement

We have a tank of air at 7 atm, 30 L, and 293 Kelvin(20 Celsius), and a flat tire with 1atm, 10 L (Constant), also at 293 K (20 C). The valve is opened quickly and closed quickly when the pressure in the tank reaches 6 atm. Using the Ideal gas assumption and taking the heat capacity of the air as Cp = 3.5 R...

Determine: the temperature of the air in the tire and the tank immediately after filling, and the eventual pressure in the tank and tire after equilibration with room temperature.

Homework Equations

PV = RT

T2/T1 = (V2/V1)^ (1-[tex]\gamma[/tex])

dU = dW (Adiabatic)

dQ = 0 (Adiabatic)

dW = - [tex]\int[/tex]PdV

Cv = Cp-R

[tex]\gamma[/tex] = Cp/Cv = 1.4

The Attempt at a Solution

The first thing I did was assume that the problem was a closed, adiabatic system, with a constant volume. For the first part, I assumed that "immediately after filling" meant the split second you close the tank, implying that each portion of the system is "open" to each other. Intuitively, I also know that a tire tends to warm up when air is pumped in, so I also hoped that my answer might coincide with that conclusion.

However I looked at the tank first. I said that T2/T1 = (V2/V1)^ (1-[tex]\gamma[/tex]), and plugged these sets of numbers in:

T2/293K = (40L/30L)^(-.4)
T2(tank) = 261.15K, -11.84 C (in the tank)

T2/293K = (40L/10L)^(-.4)
T2 (tire) = 168.28 K, -104.71 C (in the tire)

This, of course goes against my initial belief that a tire usually warms slightly when you compress it. Is my process for the first part correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is not done correctly. The gas within the tank at any time has experienced an adiabatic reversible expansion to force the gas ahead of it out of the tank (through the valve). So the temperature and pressure in the tank are related by $$\frac{T_2}{T_1}=\left(\frac{P_2}{P_1}\right)^{(\gamma-1)/\gamma}$$So, $$T_2=293\left(\frac{6}{7}\right)^{0.4/1.4}=280.4$$

The initial number of moles in the tank is $$n_1=\frac{P_1V}{RT_1}=\frac{(7)(30)}{(0.082)(293}=8.74$$
The final number of moles in the tank is $$n_2=\frac{P_2V}{RT_2}=\frac{(6)(30)}{(0.082)(280.4)}=7.83$$

So the number of moles of air leaving the tank and going into the tire while the valve is open is $$\Delta n=8.74-7.83=1.01$$The initial number of moles in the tire is $$n_i=\frac{P_iV_{tire}}{RT_i}=\frac{(1)(10)}{(0.082)(293)}=0.42$$ So the final number of moles of air in the tire is $$n_f=0.42+1.01=1.43$$

During the filling operation, the process is adiabatic for the combination of tire and tank, and no work is done on this combination. So the change internal energy of the combined system of tire and tank is zero. So, $$n_1C_v(T_1-T_{ref})+n_iC_v(T_i-T_{ref})=n_2C_v(T_2-T_{ref})+n_fC_v(T-T_{ref})$$where ##T_{ref}## is an arbitrary reference temperature which cancels from the equation. From this, it follows that $$(7.83)(280.4-293)+1.43(T_f-293)=0$$or$$T_f=362\ K$$

The final pressures in the tank and tire after they equilibrate with room temperature is determined by the ideal gas law.

Related to Thermo: A Flat Tire and a Pressurized Tank

1. How does the temperature affect the air pressure in a tire?

The temperature of the air inside a tire determines the pressure of the air. As the temperature increases, the molecules in the air gain kinetic energy and move faster, resulting in an increase in pressure. Conversely, as the temperature decreases, the molecules slow down and the pressure decreases.

2. What happens to the air pressure in a tire when a tire is punctured?

When a tire is punctured, the air pressure inside the tire rapidly decreases. This is because the air molecules escape through the hole and the volume of air inside the tire decreases, causing a decrease in pressure.

3. How does a flat tire affect the handling of a vehicle?

A flat tire significantly affects the handling of a vehicle. With a flat tire, the vehicle will have reduced stability, steering response, and braking ability. It may also cause the vehicle to pull to one side and make it more difficult to control.

4. Can a flat tire lead to a blowout?

Yes, a flat tire can lead to a blowout. When a tire is underinflated, the sidewalls of the tire are stretched and weakened, making them more susceptible to damage. This can eventually lead to a blowout, where the tire suddenly bursts due to the pressure inside.

5. Why is it important to regularly check the air pressure in your tires?

Regularly checking the air pressure in your tires is crucial for maintaining the safety and performance of your vehicle. Underinflated tires can lead to decreased fuel efficiency, tire blowouts, and poor handling. Overinflated tires can also cause damage to the tire and make it more prone to punctures. It is recommended to check tire pressure at least once a month and before long trips.