Thermionics disobeying laws of thermodynamics

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of thermionic current moving from a colder emitter to a hotter collector, which seems to contradict the laws of thermodynamics. However, it is explained that this is possible with an external factor, such as heating the source, and is similar to a heat pump. Without this external factor, the electrons will flow in the correct direction according to thermodynamics laws.
Alex_645
Hi there,

Now this goes against everything I know as a physicist, but I can't get my head around how thermionics behave when you have an emitter at slightly lower temperature but much lower work function, and a collector at higher temperature and higher work function, so that thermionic current moves from cold to hot. Is this possible? And if so, it's flowing in the opposite direction to thermal radiation, and seems to violate the laws of thermodynamics...

Anyone well versed on the subject that could explain why this isn't possible?

Much appreciated,
-Alex

Physics news on Phys.org
Alex_645 said:
Hi there,

Now this goes against everything I know as a physicist, but I can't get my head around how thermionics behave when you have an emitter at slightly lower temperature but much lower work function, and a collector at higher temperature and higher work function, so that thermionic current moves from cold to hot. Is this possible? And if so, it's flowing in the opposite direction to thermal radiation, and seems to violate the laws of thermodynamics...

Anyone well versed on the subject that could explain why this isn't possible?

Much appreciated,
-Alex

I'm not sure I see the problem here. There are two issues to consider:

1. Thermodynamics laws applies to heat going from hot to cold. There's nothing here that prevents electrons from going from cold to hot when there is an external factor involved. The electrons leaving the metal doesn't really care if it is leaving a colder object and entering a hotter object, since its dynamics in this case is not governed by the temperature of the source and the sink.

2. Here, you are "artificially" forcing electrons to go from cold to hot. This is no different than a heat pump where you extract heat from colder reservoir and releasing it to a hotter reservoir by applying work. You are heating the source and forcing electrons to be emitted. These electrons will go everywhere (assuming no external field, since you didn't mention any). It is just that some happens to hit the hotter element. If you instead do not heat anything but simply bring the two metals together, you will have a contact potential and the electrons will flow in the correct direction dictated by thermodynamics laws.

Zz.

Likes atyy

Related to Thermionics disobeying laws of thermodynamics

1. What is thermionics and how does it relate to the laws of thermodynamics?

Thermionics is the study of the movement of electrons in a vacuum or in a low-pressure gas. It is relevant to the laws of thermodynamics because it involves the transfer of energy between heat and electricity, which are governed by these laws.

2. How could thermionics potentially disobey the laws of thermodynamics?

Thermionics itself does not disobey the laws of thermodynamics. However, certain applications of thermionic devices, such as thermionic converters, have been proposed to potentially violate the laws of thermodynamics. This is because these devices claim to produce more energy than they consume, which goes against the first and second laws of thermodynamics.

3. Are there any known examples of thermionics disobeying the laws of thermodynamics?

No, there are no known examples of thermionics disobeying the laws of thermodynamics. While there have been claims of thermionic devices violating these laws, there has not been sufficient evidence to support these claims. The laws of thermodynamics have been extensively tested and proven to be universally applicable.

4. What are the potential consequences if thermionics were to disobey the laws of thermodynamics?

If thermionics were to truly disobey the laws of thermodynamics, it would fundamentally change our understanding of energy and the universe. It could potentially lead to the development of new and more efficient energy sources, but it would also require a major shift in our scientific principles and theories.

5. What are scientists doing to further investigate the possibility of thermionics disobeying the laws of thermodynamics?

Scientists are continuously conducting experiments and research to investigate the potential of thermionics to violate the laws of thermodynamics. However, the current scientific consensus is that these laws cannot be violated, and any claims of thermionics disobeying them must be rigorously tested and proven before being accepted by the scientific community.