Thermally insulating tape at high temperature (350C)

In summary, the individual is looking for a tape or gel that is highly thermally insulating and can be applied to a glass slide for thermal measurements. The tape should be able to withstand temperatures between 100C to 350C and work with clean water. The person is considering using aluminum foil as a solution, but is open to other recommendations. The main requirements are for the tape to be sticky, able to withstand high temperatures, not too thick, and have a low heat transfer rate.
Yinxiao Li
Hi all,
I am looking for a tape or gel that is very thermally insulating and apply that on my glass slide to serve as a thermally insulating material. The work temperature is 100C to 350C and it should be able to work with clean water. Any recommendations?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yinxiao Li said:
glass slide
"Glass slide" suggests microscope, implies very limited dimensions, or a requirement for low thermal conductivity. Do you have some "rough" idea of thickness, heat transfer rate, the like?

Bystander said:
"Glass slide" suggests microscope, implies very limited dimensions, or a requirement for low thermal conductivity. Do you have some "rough" idea of thickness, heat transfer rate, the like?
Although that is a microscope glass slide, I don't use it for microscope...I use it for my thermal measurement. My rough idea is that this tape should be sticky and can endure high temperature (350C). Most tapes I found cannot endure more than 200C. For the thickness, I suppose not too thick? like around 1mm? heat transfer rate needs to be low, since that is the most important requirement...

Yinxiao Li said:
Although that is a microscope glass slide, I don't use it for microscope...I use it for my thermal measurement. My rough idea is that this tape should be sticky and can endure high temperature (350C). Most tapes I found cannot endure more than 200C. For the thickness, I suppose not too thick? like around 1mm? heat transfer rate needs to be low, since that is the most important requirement...
How about wrapping it in aluminum foil. Hoping transparency is not a whole surface requirement, in which case a small hole should do.

Related to Thermally insulating tape at high temperature (350C)

1. Can thermally insulating tape withstand temperatures as high as 350C?

Yes, thermally insulating tape is specifically designed to withstand high temperatures, with some types able to withstand temperatures up to 350C. However, it is important to choose the right type of tape for the specific temperature and application to ensure maximum effectiveness.

2. What materials are commonly used to make thermally insulating tape for high temperatures?

The most commonly used materials for thermally insulating tape at high temperatures include silicone, fiberglass, ceramic fiber, and basalt fiber. Each material has its own unique properties and is suitable for different temperature ranges and environments.

3. How does thermally insulating tape work?

Thermally insulating tape works by creating a barrier between the heat source and the surrounding environment. The tape is made of materials with low thermal conductivity, which means they do not transfer heat easily. This allows the tape to absorb and dissipate heat, keeping the surrounding area cooler.

4. What are the main benefits of using thermally insulating tape at high temperatures?

The main benefits of using thermally insulating tape at high temperatures include protecting sensitive equipment and materials from heat damage, improving energy efficiency by reducing heat loss, and creating a safer work environment by reducing the risk of burns and fires.

5. Is it safe to use thermally insulating tape at high temperatures?

Yes, it is safe to use thermally insulating tape at high temperatures. However, it is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and choose the right type of tape for the specific temperature and application. It is also important to regularly inspect the tape for any signs of wear or damage to ensure its effectiveness and safety.