Thermal Statistics - Microstate Probabilities

Now, to find the total probability of both bosons being in state b, we simply add up the probabilities from cases 1 and 6:P(n_b) = (1/Z)^2 + (1/Z)^2 = 2/Z^2Substituting the value of Z that you calculated (Z = 1.08), we get:P(n_b) = (1.85)^2 = 0.384Therefore, the probability of both bosons having energy E_b is approximately 38.4%. I hope this helps. Good luck with your assignment!In summary, the probability of both identical and indistinguishable bosons occupying a microstate with

Homework Statement

For a system in equilibrium at temperature T, the probability of finding it in a microstate m is:

P(m) = ([itex]1/Z[/itex])exp([itex]-E/kT[/itex])
where Z is the partition function.

There are three accessible microstates, two with energy E[itex]_{a}[/itex] and one with energy E[itex]_{b}[/itex].

Two identical and indistinguishable bosons can occupy these microstates. What's the probability that both these bosons have energy E[itex]_{b}[/itex]?

Homework Equations

I have the values for E[itex]_{a}[/itex] and E[itex]_{b}[/itex].
It asked me to give a formula for Z which I put as Z = [itex]\Sigma[/itex]exp([itex]-E/kT[/itex])
T = 300K
I calculated Z to be 1.08

The Attempt at a Solution

What I've got at the moment is this:
Let the number of particles in states a, a, b be n[itex]_{1}[/itex], n[itex]_{2}[/itex], n[itex]_{3}[/itex]:
n[itex]_{1}[/itex] n[itex]_{2}[/itex] n[itex]_{3}[/itex]
1 1 0
1 0 1
0 1 1
2 0 0
0 2 0
0 0 2

So the probability of both bosons being in state n[itex]_{3}[/itex] aka b would be [itex]1/6[/itex], but this seems way too obvious for 4 marks. I also tried to use the Bose-Einstein distribution but I don't know the chemical potential.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
for your help!

Thank you for your post. It seems like you have a good understanding of the concept of partition function and the probabilities of microstates in equilibrium. Your approach of listing out the different combinations of particles in the three microstates is a good start. However, I would like to clarify a few things and provide some additional information to help you solve the problem.

Firstly, the formula for the partition function Z is correct. It is defined as the sum of the Boltzmann factors for all the microstates in the system. In this case, since there are three microstates with different energies, the partition function can be written as:

Z = exp(-E_a/kT) + exp(-E_a/kT) + exp(-E_b/kT)

= 2exp(-E_a/kT) + exp(-E_b/kT)

Now, for the probability of both bosons being in state b, we need to consider all the possible combinations of particles in the system. As you have correctly listed, there are six possible combinations. However, not all of them have the same probability. Let's consider each one separately:

1. Both bosons in state b:
This case has a probability of (1/Z) x (1/Z) = (1/Z)^2, since both bosons need to be in state b and the probabilities are independent.

2. One boson in state b and one in state a:
This case has a probability of (1/Z) x (1/Z) = (1/Z)^2, since the probabilities are independent.

3. One boson in state b and one in state a:
This case has a probability of (1/Z) x (1/Z) = (1/Z)^2, since the probabilities are independent.

4. Both bosons in state a:
This case has a probability of (1/Z) x (1/Z) = (1/Z)^2, since both bosons need to be in state a and the probabilities are independent.

5. Both bosons in state a:
This case has a probability of (1/Z) x (1/Z) = (1/Z)^2, since both bosons need to be in state a and the probabilities are independent.

6. Both bosons in state b:
This case has a probability of (1/Z) x (1/Z) = (1/Z)^2, since both bosons need to be

Related to Thermal Statistics - Microstate Probabilities

1. What is thermal statistics?

Thermal statistics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of large systems of particles, such as atoms or molecules, at the microscopic level. It focuses on the statistical properties of these systems, rather than individual particle behavior.

2. What are microstate probabilities?

Microstate probabilities refer to the likelihood of a specific arrangement or configuration of particles within a system. In thermal statistics, these probabilities are used to calculate the overall behavior of the system.

3. How are microstate probabilities related to thermodynamics?

Microstate probabilities are used in thermodynamics to calculate macroscopic quantities, such as temperature, pressure, and entropy, which describe the overall behavior of a system. These quantities are derived from the statistical properties of the system, which are represented by microstate probabilities.

4. How are microstate probabilities calculated?

Microstate probabilities are calculated using statistical mechanics, which involves using mathematical models and equations to describe the behavior of a system at the microscopic level. These calculations take into account factors such as energy levels, particle interactions, and the number of particles in the system.

5. What is the significance of microstate probabilities?

Microstate probabilities play a crucial role in understanding and predicting the behavior of large systems of particles. They allow scientists to make connections between the microscopic and macroscopic behavior of a system, and to make predictions about how a system will behave under different conditions or changes.