Thermal physics problem on steel bar

In summary, the problem involves a compound conductor made up of a steel and copper bar, each with different lengths and temperatures. Using the heat equation, the temperature at the junction between the two bars is found to be 294K. To find the total rate of flow of heat, the formula delta(Q)/delta(t) = A*delta(T)/( l1/k1 + l2/k2) is used, resulting in a total rate of 50.0W.
veemo
[SOLVED] Thermal physics problem

Homework Statement

A steel bar 10cm long is welded end-to-end to a copper bar 20cm long. Both bars are insulated perfectly along their sides. Each bar has a radius of 2.0cm. The free end of the steel bar is maintained at 100[tex]^{o}[/tex]C and the free end of the copper bar is maintained at 0[tex]^{o}[/tex]C. Find the temperature at the junction between the two bars and the total rate of flow of heat.

k[tex]_{steel}[/tex]=50.2Wm[tex]^{-1}[/tex]K[tex]^{-1}[/tex]
k[tex]_{copper}[/tex]=385.0Wm[tex]^{-1}[/tex]K[tex]^{-1}[/tex]

Homework Equations

H = [tex]\frac{dQ}{dt}[/tex] = -kA[tex]\frac{dT}{dx}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Copper:

[tex]\frac{dQ}{dt}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{-kA(373-T)}{L}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{-385\pi(2X10^{-2})^{2}(273-T)}{20X10^{-2}}[/tex]

Where T is the point at the junction between the bars, piXr[tex]^{2}[/tex] has been substituted in for A, and 273K = 0C

so [tex]\frac{dQ}{dt}[/tex] = -2.42(273-T)Steel:

[tex]\frac{dQ}{dt}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{-50.2\pi(2X10^{-2})^{2}(373-T)}{10X10^{-2}}[/tex]

As 373K = 100C

so [tex]\frac{dQ}{dt}[/tex] = -0.63(373-T)

I then said H[tex]_{copper}[/tex] = H[tex]_{steel}[/tex] which I'm not sure is correct as in the example I was given in class the two bars were of equal length, but continued with the following:

2.42(273-T)=0.63(373-T)
2.42T-0.63T=660.4-235.3

T=[tex]\frac{425.1}{1.79}[/tex]= 238K

I'm not sure this is right as it is less than the temperature of the free end of the copper bar and surely the result should be between 273K and 373K?
Also I don't know where to start on finding the total rate of flow of heat... The only thing I could think of was adding the individual heat flows together but I'm sure there's more to it than that.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
2.42(273-T)=0.63(373-T) This step is wrong. Rewright as 2.42(T- 273)=0.63(373-T) Now solve fro T.

Fantastic, thanks! 294K, that sounds better =)
How would I start going about finding the total rate of flow of heat?
I'm still not sure what to use for that.

Rate of flow of heat through the compound conductor is given by
delta(Q)/delta(t) = A*delta(T)/( l1/k1 + l2/k2)

Brilliant, thanks, I can't find that in my lecture notes -anywhere-.
I'll try it.

Ok I got 50.0W, that sounds sensible.
Thanks again!

Related to Thermal physics problem on steel bar

1. What is the thermal conductivity of steel?

The thermal conductivity of steel varies depending on its composition and structure, but it typically ranges from 15-50 W/mK. This means that steel is a good conductor of heat, and can transfer heat quickly.

2. How does temperature affect the thermal expansion of a steel bar?

As temperature increases, the atoms in a steel bar vibrate more vigorously, causing them to take up more space and expand. This results in a larger volume and length of the steel bar, known as thermal expansion. The amount of expansion is directly proportional to the change in temperature and the coefficient of thermal expansion of the steel.

3. What is the specific heat capacity of steel?

The specific heat capacity of steel is approximately 0.5 J/gK, which means it requires 0.5 Joules of energy to raise the temperature of 1 gram of steel by 1 Kelvin. This value is relatively low compared to other materials, indicating that steel has a lower capacity to store thermal energy.

4. How is heat transferred through a steel bar?

Heat can be transferred through a steel bar via three mechanisms: conduction, convection, and radiation. In conduction, heat is transferred through direct contact between molecules within the steel bar. Convection involves the movement of hot and cold fluids, such as air or water, to transfer heat. Radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves.

5. Can thermal stress cause a steel bar to break?

Yes, thermal stress can cause a steel bar to break. When a steel bar is heated, it expands, and when it cools, it contracts. If the bar is restricted from expanding or contracting freely, thermal stress can build up within the bar. This can eventually lead to cracks or fractures in the steel, causing it to break.