Thermal Physics: Kinetic Energy of Neon Molecules

In summary, the total random kinetic energy of all molecules in one mole of neon at 305 K is 3801.83 J. To find the speed at which a mole of neon would have to move for the kinetic energy of the mass to be equal to the total random kinetic energy of its molecules, the equation KE = 1/2(mv^2) was used, with the given values of mass and kinetic energy. The resulting speed is 274.66 m/s.
sun
[SOLVED] thermal physics

Homework Statement

a) What is the total random kinetic energy of all the molecules in one mole of neon at a temperature of 305 K? I got 3801.83J

(b) With what speed would a mole of neon have to move so that the kinetic energy of the mass as a whole would be equal to the total random kinetic energy of its molecules?

Homework Equations

(1/2)mv^2=(3/2)kT
v(rms)=sqrt(3kT/m)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure what to do in order to solve for part b. Not to sure if I'm even looking at the correct equations. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
any suggestions. I would love the help and greatly appreciate it. :)

I figured it out:

KE=1/2(mv^2)

KE=3801.83
m=20.2*10^-3

Related to Thermal Physics: Kinetic Energy of Neon Molecules

What is thermal physics?

Thermal physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter at a microscopic level in relation to temperature and heat. It involves the study of thermodynamics, statistical mechanics, and kinetic theory of gases.

What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. In the context of thermal physics, it refers to the energy of particles (such as molecules) in a substance that is associated with their random motion.

How is the kinetic energy of neon molecules related to thermal physics?

The kinetic energy of neon molecules is directly related to thermal physics because it is a measure of the average kinetic energy of molecules in a substance at a given temperature. This energy is responsible for the transfer of heat between objects and the behavior of substances at different temperatures.

What factors affect the kinetic energy of neon molecules?

The kinetic energy of neon molecules is affected by temperature, pressure, and the mass of the molecules. As the temperature increases, the average kinetic energy of the molecules also increases. Similarly, increasing pressure or decreasing the mass of the molecules can also increase their kinetic energy.

How is the kinetic energy of neon molecules measured?

The kinetic energy of neon molecules can be measured using various techniques, such as spectroscopy or molecular beam methods. These methods involve studying the motion of the molecules and using mathematical equations to calculate their kinetic energy.