Thermal physics (Gibbs free energy mostly)

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Gibbs free energy and its relationship to entropy and temperature. The speaker is trying to show that the equation dS=C_P\frac{dT}{T}-\frac{dV}{dT}dP is generally true and uses a Maxwell relation to do so. They also discuss how to calculate the change in entropy and Gibbs free energy for liquid water and water vapor.
knut-o

Homework Statement

I know that Gibbs free energy: G=H-TS, and therefor [tex]\frac{dG}{dT}=-S[/tex] , and that [tex]dS=C_P\frac{dT}{T}[/tex]

Now, I am to show that more generally, [tex]dS=C_P\frac{dT}{T}-\frac{dV}{dT}dP(1)[/tex]
(assuming that the difference between delta and d is mostly the same (symbolwise). The hint I have is using a maxwell relation.

And at last, show that [tex]S(T,P)=S(T_i,P)+C_Pln(\frac{T}{T_i})[/tex];
[tex]G(T,P)=G(T_i,P)-S(T_i,P)(T-T_i)+C_P(T-T_i)-C_PTln(\frac{T}{T_i}[/tex]
Where subindex i represent initial value > 0.

Homework Equations

Seeing the solution, I assume the maxwell relation I need is [tex]-\frac{dS}{dP}=\frac{dV}{dT}(2)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem is how do isolate dS alone, generally combining (1) and (2), unless I can simply just call them dS' and add it to both sides and say that dS=2dS' ? Otherwise I am only able eliminate dS from the equation, but that doesn't really help me :3

And for the integrationpart, the [tex]C_P\frac{dT}{T}[/tex] from [tex]T_i[/tex] to T is simple enough, but the other link, integrate from [tex]P_i[/tex] to P and just call it [tex]S(T_i,P)[/tex]? Doesn't sound intuitive to me.

And then show the G(T,P)-part, woa, I can accept the 2nd part (ST basically), and the last one. And to some degree the first part, but to argue for the first part I am unsure except that it must be there.. And the third part, makes no sense what it does there :( .

Halp please :3

Physics news on Phys.org
You must take the same class as me haha!

The first part I cannot help with as I barely know latex and I need partial derivatives, just know that if S= S(a,b) then dS = partial S with a at constant b + partial s with b at constant a

For the second part, since you are using Cp you are operating at constant pressure. So dP from (1) disappears. All you have to do now is integrate, with constant pressure. Also remember dN = 0 for calculating dG

brollysan said:
You must take the same class as me haha!

The first part I cannot help with as I barely know latex and I need partial derivatives, just know that if S= S(a,b) then dS = partial S with a at constant b + partial s with b at constant a

For the second part, since you are using Cp you are operating at constant pressure. So dP from (1) disappears. All you have to do now is integrate, with constant pressure. Also remember dN = 0 for calculating dG
Not impossible, :p . So confusing!

But I am supposed to show that (1) is true,
And if I put dP to 0, then the integration becomes the integral of ? Makes no sense :s . I assume then it becomes an integration constant that I somehow need to show is S(Ti,P)?

For the second part, the integration becomes an integral of temperature. You will get dS = Cp 1/T dt. And yes it is an integration constant, we are operating at constant pressure but different temperatures, so it must have an entropy at its initial temperature Ti: S(Ti,P)

The final enthropy is therefore its initial entropy + any change dS integrated over the temperature range.

So I end up with something like integrating dS from Si to S(T,P) which gives me that S(T,P) - Si=CPln(T/Ti)+C and just say that C=0 and move Si over?

And how would it work to calculate [tex]\Delta G[/tex] and [tex]\Delta S[/tex] for difference between liquid water and water vapoir? I know I have CP, Ti, but what else, what about T? :eek: and G(Ti,P)?
I am confusos.

Related to Thermal physics (Gibbs free energy mostly)

1. What is Gibbs free energy?

Gibbs free energy is a thermodynamic quantity that represents the maximum amount of work that a system can do at a constant temperature and pressure. It is a measure of the potential energy of a system that is available to do useful work.

2. How is Gibbs free energy related to enthalpy?

Gibbs free energy (G) is related to enthalpy (H) through the equation G = H - TS, where T is the temperature of the system and S is the entropy. This relationship is known as the Gibbs-Helmholtz equation and it allows us to calculate the change in Gibbs free energy for a given change in enthalpy and temperature.

3. What does a negative Gibbs free energy indicate?

A negative Gibbs free energy indicates that a reaction or process is thermodynamically favorable and will occur spontaneously. This means that the reaction or process will release energy and be able to do work.

4. How is Gibbs free energy used in chemical reactions?

In chemical reactions, the change in Gibbs free energy (ΔG) is used to determine the spontaneity of the reaction. If ΔG is negative, the reaction is spontaneous and will proceed in the forward direction. If ΔG is positive, the reaction is non-spontaneous and will not occur without the input of energy. If ΔG is zero, the reaction is at equilibrium.

5. Can Gibbs free energy be used to predict the direction of a reaction?

Yes, Gibbs free energy can be used to predict the direction of a reaction. A negative ΔG indicates that the reaction will proceed in the forward direction, while a positive ΔG indicates that the reaction will proceed in the reverse direction. This prediction is based on the second law of thermodynamics, which states that all spontaneous processes proceed in the direction that leads to a decrease in Gibbs free energy.