Thermal Physics - Absorbtion of oxygen in a magnetic field

Expert SummarizerIn summary, to calculate the magnetic field strength needed to cause a 1% change in adsorption at T = 300K, use the given information and equations to set up an expression for the Gibbs sum. Then, use the given values for the spin and magnetic moment of O_2 and the equation for the Gibbs sum to solve for the magnetic field strength.
NIQ
Question:
Suppose that at most one [tex]O_2[/tex] can be bound to a heme group (see Problem 8), and that when [tex]\lambda(O_2) = 10^{-5}[/tex] we have 90 percent of hemes occupied by [tex]O_2[/tex]. Consider [tex]O_2[/tex] as having a spin of 1 and a magnetic moment of 1 [tex]\mu_B[/tex]. How strong a magnetic field is needed to change the adsorption by 1 percent at T = 300K? (The Gibbs sum in the limit of zero magnetic field will differ from that of Problem 8 because there the spin multiplicity of the bound state was neglected.)

And for reference here is Problem 8 (however we were not required to do this question so I don't know the answer to this one either).:

Problem 8 - Carbon Monoxide Poisoning:
In carbon monoxide poisoning the CO replaces the [tex]O_2[/tex] adsorbed on hemoglobin (Hb) molecules in the blood. To show the effect, consider a model for which each adsorption site on a heme may be vacant or may be occupied either with energy [tex]\epsilon_A[/tex] by one molecule [tex]O_2[/tex] or with energy [tex]\epsilon_B[/tex] by one molecule CO. Let N fixed heme sites be in equilibrium with [tex]O_2[/tex] and CO in the gas phases at concentrations such that the activities are [tex]\lambda(O_2) = 1 x 10^{-5}[/tex] and [tex]\lambda(CO) = 1 x 10^{-7}[/tex], all at body temperature 37 derees Celcius. Neglect any spin multiplicity factors. a) First consider the system in the absence of CO. Evaluate [tex]\epsilon_A[/tex] such that 90 percent of the Hb sites are occupied by [tex]O_2[/tex]. Express the answer in eV per [tex]O_2[/tex]. b) Now admit the CO under the specified conditions. Find [tex]\epsilon_B[/tex] such that only 10 percent of the Hb sites are occupied by [tex]O_2[/tex].

I know you guys ask for us to show that we've done some work on the question before submitting it but I really have no idea where to start on this one. I haven't talked to any classmates yet because they haven't started anything but if necessary I can see if I can get it started then post what I have before asking for help. I was just hoping someone here could get me going on some sort of solution.

Thanks.

Note: Again, Problem 8 was not assigned so I'm assuming it is not required to be done so don't worry about that one.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Also, the value for \lambda(O_2) given in the question is different from the one given in Problem 8. This may affect the final answer.
Dear scientist,

Thank you for reaching out with your question. It seems like you have a good understanding of the problem and its background. To start, I would suggest using the given information and equations to set up an expression for the Gibbs sum in terms of the magnetic field strength. From there, you can use the given values for the spin and magnetic moment of O_2 to calculate the change in the Gibbs sum for a 1% change in adsorption. Once you have this expression, you can use the given value for \lambda(O_2) and the equation for the Gibbs sum to solve for the magnetic field strength needed to cause a 1% change in adsorption at T = 300K.

I hope this helps get you started on the problem. If you have any further questions or need clarification, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Related to Thermal Physics - Absorbtion of oxygen in a magnetic field

1. What is thermal physics and how does it relate to the absorption of oxygen in a magnetic field?

Thermal physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter at the microscopic level, specifically in relation to temperature and heat. In the case of absorption of oxygen in a magnetic field, thermal physics is important because it helps us understand how the temperature and heat affects the absorption process.

2. What is the role of a magnetic field in the absorption of oxygen?

A magnetic field plays a crucial role in the absorption of oxygen because it can affect the motion of oxygen molecules. When a magnetic field is applied, the oxygen molecules will align themselves with the field, making it easier for them to be absorbed by other substances.

3. How does the amount of oxygen absorbed change with temperature?

The amount of oxygen absorbed in a magnetic field is directly related to temperature. As the temperature increases, the kinetic energy of the oxygen molecules also increases, making them more likely to escape the magnetic field and reducing the amount of absorption.

4. Are there any other factors that can affect the absorption of oxygen in a magnetic field?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the absorption of oxygen in a magnetic field. These include the strength of the magnetic field, the pressure of the environment, and the chemical properties of the substances involved.

5. What are the practical applications of studying the absorption of oxygen in a magnetic field?

Studying the absorption of oxygen in a magnetic field has many practical applications. It can help us understand and improve processes such as oxygen separation, gas purification, and gas storage. It also has potential uses in fields such as medicine and environmental science.