Thermal expansion with set of 3 wires

In summary, the problem involves three identical wires arranged in a Y shape and secured to walls with initial tension of zero. After cooling by ΔT, the knot moves to the right and the final tension in each wire needs to be found, assuming θ does not change. The solution involves using the equation ΔL = Lo*α*ΔT and assuming a Young's modulus (Y) for the material. By drawing diagrams and assuming a constant θ, the required extension (Δx) can be calculated.
awerter

Homework Statement

Three identical wires Lo, diameter d, are arranged like a Y letter (please see attachment)

Each end of the wires is secured to a wall. Initial tension is approximately zero. If the wires are cooled ΔT, find the distance the knot moves to the right and the final tension in each wire. (assume θ does not change when the knot moves.)

Homework Equations

ΔL = Lo[itex]\alpha[/itex]ΔT
ΔL/Lo = -F/AY = [itex]\alpha[/itex]ΔT

The Attempt at a Solution

Tensions in wires: Fwire1 = 2 * Fwire2 * cos(θ/2)
Here is where I'm stuck. I think that the total expansion is zero, so the equation is something like this

ΔLtotal = ΔLwire1 + ΔLwire2 cos(θ/2)
= (Lo[itex]\alpha[/itex]ΔT - Lo Fwire1/AY) + ( Lo[itex]\alpha[/itex]ΔT - Lo Fwire2/AY) cos(θ/2) = 0

But I got the wrong answers. It is hard for me to visualize how the system changes with the assumption that θ is still the same. It doesn't make sense. Please help me.
Thank you very much.

Attachments

• Utitled.png
    Utitled.png
    4.9 KB · Views: 379
Physics news on Phys.org
This question can be solved by assuming a Young's modulus (Y) for the material. It helps to draw the diagram of individual wires before cooling, after cooling (assuming absence of other wires) and the real scenario after cooling. I have attached these in this reply. So just check it out and see whether it works. Here x is the required extension.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 299
Last edited:
θ would change but the change could be small so they are telling you to assume it's constant.

I reckon for some angles Δx could be -ve, 0 or +ve.

Thank you for all your help! I can do it now.

I would approach this problem by first considering the properties of thermal expansion and how it may affect the wires. Thermal expansion is the tendency for a substance to expand or contract in response to changes in temperature. In this case, the wires are being cooled, which will cause them to contract. The amount of expansion or contraction is determined by the coefficient of thermal expansion (α), the change in temperature (ΔT), and the original length of the wire (Lo).

Using the equation ΔL = LoαΔT, we can calculate the change in length of each wire due to the change in temperature. However, since the wires are arranged in a Y shape, the knot at the center will not move directly to the right or left, but rather at an angle determined by the geometry of the system. To determine the distance the knot moves to the right, we can use trigonometry to calculate the horizontal component of the expansion of each wire.

To find the final tension in each wire, we can use the equation ΔL/Lo = -F/AY, where F is the tension in the wire, A is the cross-sectional area of the wire, and Y is the Young's modulus of the wire. Since the initial tension is approximately zero, we can assume that the final tension will be equal to the force needed to keep the knot in place, which can be calculated using the horizontal component of the expansion and the cosine of the angle θ/2.

It is important to note that the assumption that θ does not change when the knot moves may not be entirely accurate. As the wires expand or contract, the angle θ may also change slightly, affecting the final tension in each wire. This can be taken into consideration by including a correction factor in the calculation.

Overall, the solution to this problem involves a combination of equations and geometric considerations. It is important to carefully consider the properties of thermal expansion and how they may affect the system in order to arrive at an accurate solution.

Related to Thermal expansion with set of 3 wires

1. What is thermal expansion?

Thermal expansion is the tendency of a substance to change in shape, volume, and density in response to a change in temperature. This occurs because as temperature increases, the particles of a substance gain more energy and vibrate faster, causing them to take up more space.

2. How does thermal expansion impact wires?

When a wire is heated, it will expand in length due to the increased energy of its particles. This can cause the wire to become longer and thinner, potentially affecting its performance and structural integrity.

3. What is the coefficient of thermal expansion?

The coefficient of thermal expansion is a measure of how much a material will expand or contract when its temperature changes. It is typically represented by the symbol α and is expressed in units of length per unit of temperature.

4. What is the purpose of using a set of 3 wires for thermal expansion experiments?

Using a set of 3 wires allows for a more accurate measurement of thermal expansion. By comparing the expansion of the test wire to the expansion of two control wires made of different materials, the effects of temperature on the test wire can be isolated.

5. How is thermal expansion calculated?

The change in length of a material due to thermal expansion can be calculated using the formula ΔL = αLΔT, where ΔL is the change in length, α is the coefficient of thermal expansion, L is the original length of the material, and ΔT is the change in temperature. This calculation can be used to determine the expansion of a wire or any other material due to a change in temperature.