Thermal Expansion: Solve Problem w/Turpentine & Al Cylinder

In summary, the problem involves a hollow aluminum cylinder filled with turpentine that is heated from 24.0°C to 88.0°C. Due to the expansion of the turpentine, it overflows and the remaining volume can be calculated using the volume of the cylinder at 80°C. The volume of the turpentine at 24°C can then be determined using the volume of the turpentine at 80°C and solving for the height using the given initial conditions.
Sheneron

Homework Statement

A hollow aluminum cylinder 18.0 cm deep has an internal capacity of 2.000 L at 24.0°C. It is completely filled with turpentine and then slowly warmed to 88.0°C. Note: If applicable, Table 19.1 is available for use in solving this problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved part A and got an answer.

I can't figure out what I am doing wrong for part B, maybe someone can help.

When the cylinder heated up it expanded, as did the turpentine; the turpentine expanded more and then overflowed. So the remaining turpentine is the volume of the cylinder at 88C. So here is what I have set up.

Ok, it will take me a while to get the math in here, so maybe someone can just tell me if my concept is wrong and then that will be easy.

I know the volume of turpentine is the volume of the cylinder at 80C. So, with that, I can refind the volume of turpentine at 24C. Once I have the volume of the turpentine at 24C then I can set that to pi r^2 h, and solve for h. I can get r from initial conditions I was given. What is wrong with this thought process?

Physics news on Phys.org
If I need to put the math tell me and I will do it.

Ohhhhhhhh nothing is wrong with that thought process is it? Thats right, someone tell me that right.

Related to Thermal Expansion: Solve Problem w/Turpentine & Al Cylinder

1. What is thermal expansion?

Thermal expansion is the tendency of matter to increase in size or volume when heated. This occurs due to the increase in kinetic energy of the particles within the material.

2. How does thermal expansion affect materials?

Thermal expansion can cause materials to expand or contract, depending on the type of material and its properties. This can lead to changes in shape, size, and even structural integrity of the material.

3. How does turpentine help to solve the problem of thermal expansion in an aluminum cylinder?

Turpentine is a solvent that can be used to remove any trapped air or gas within the aluminum cylinder, which can cause uneven expansion and contraction. By removing the air, turpentine allows for more even thermal expansion and prevents warping or damage to the cylinder.

4. Can thermal expansion be controlled or prevented?

While thermal expansion cannot be completely prevented, it can be controlled through the use of materials with lower coefficients of thermal expansion, such as certain types of steel or ceramics. Additionally, proper design and construction techniques can also help to minimize the effects of thermal expansion.

5. How is thermal expansion measured and calculated?

Thermal expansion is typically measured in terms of a material's coefficient of thermal expansion, which is the change in length or volume per unit change in temperature. The amount of expansion can be calculated using this coefficient and the initial dimensions of the material.