Thermal Expansion of a drinking glass

In summary, the question asks how much water will spill out of a glass filled with 268.4 mL of water at 2.0C when the temperature rises to either 32.0C or by 32 degrees. The equation used to solve this problem is B(H2O) * the difference in temperature * the initial volume of the glass, with B(H2O) being the coefficient of thermal expansion for water and 268.4 mL being the initial volume of the glass. After solving, the answer came out to be 1.77 mL, but the back of the book says 1.66 mL. It is recommended to double check the temperature part of the question to ensure accuracy.
mg1977

Homework Statement

An ordinary drinking glass is filled to the brim with water(268.4mL) at 2.0C and placed on the sunny pool deck to enjoy. If the temp of the H2o rises 32.0C, how much water will spill out of the glass?Assuming no expansion for glass...

Homework Equations

B=207*10^-6 for water, so: do I still include the coeff for glass?

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I have: B(H20) * the difference of T *(if applicible)Vinital-a glass *the diff of T * Vinital
207*10^-6 *32.0 * 268.4mL = I end up with 1.77mL but the back of the book says 1.66mL What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
mg1977 said:

Homework Statement

An ordinary drinking glass is filled to the brim with water(268.4mL) at 2.0C and placed on the sunny pool deck to enjoy. If the temp of the H2o rises 32.0C, how much water will spill out of the glass?Assuming no expansion for glass...

Homework Equations

B=207*10^-6 for water, so: do I still include the coeff for glass?

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I have: B(H20) * the difference of T *(if applicible)Vinital-a glass *the diff of T * Vinital
207*10^-6 *32.0 * 268.4mL = I end up with 1.77mL but the back of the book says 1.66mL What am I missing?

Did the temperature rise by 32 degrees or to 32 degrees? Double check this part of the question.

Related to Thermal Expansion of a drinking glass

1. What is thermal expansion?

Thermal expansion is the tendency of matter to increase in size or volume as its temperature increases. This is due to the increased kinetic energy of the particles in the material, causing them to vibrate and take up more space.

2. Why does a drinking glass expand when heated?

A drinking glass, like any other material, is made up of particles that are constantly moving. When the glass is heated, the particles gain more energy and move more rapidly, causing them to take up more space and expand the glass.

3. How does thermal expansion affect the volume of a drinking glass?

Thermal expansion causes the volume of a drinking glass to increase as its temperature increases. This can be seen when pouring a hot liquid into a glass, as the liquid will take up more space and may cause the glass to overflow.

4. Is thermal expansion reversible?

Yes, thermal expansion is reversible. When the temperature of a material decreases, the particles lose energy and move less, causing the material to contract and return to its original size and shape.

5. Can thermal expansion cause a drinking glass to break?

Yes, thermal expansion can cause a drinking glass to break if it is heated too quickly or to a high enough temperature. This can put too much stress on the glass and cause it to crack or shatter. It is important to be cautious when heating glass objects, especially if they are thin or have uneven thickness.