Thermal energy problem. How was this answer reached?

In summary, two railroad cars with a combined mass of 7650 kg, each traveling at a speed of 95 km/h in opposite directions, collide head-on and come to rest. The collision results in 5.3x10^6 Joules (5300000 Joules) of thermal energy being produced. This can be determined by applying the conservation of energy and realizing that the initial kinetic energy of the trains is transformed into thermal energy upon collision. In a separate problem, a sled initially given a shove up a 22.0° frictionless incline reaches a maximum vertical height 1.15 m higher than its starting point. Its initial speed can be found using the equation PE=KE, or mgh=1
tjohn101

Homework Statement

Two railroad cars, each of mass 7650 kg and traveling 95 km/h in opposite directions, collide head-on and come to rest. How much thermal energy is produced in this collision?

Homework Equations

I'm assuming:
KE=1/2mv^2
HE=mc(delta)T

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer is 5.3x10^6 Joules, or 5300000 Joules.
I don't see enough information in the question to find thermal energy, yet somehow an answer was reached. I'm guessing that there is some mix of equations or there is another way of solving that I'm not aware of... A variation of the question is on my homework, so any help in figuring out how this was done is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Where do you think the thermal energy comes from?

Doc Al said:
Where do you think the thermal energy comes from?

Hey Doc,

I would assume the energy is coming from work the two trains are performing on each other, which should be the same. It could also come from the friction between the trains and the track, but I think that is irrelevant.

In my notes, I have an equation involving momentum ((delta)p=mv). Would this be the equation used? I understand that momentum is another word for collision (in my class, at least), correct?

Also, KEi =/= KEf because the two trains should stick together on impact, correct?

It's simpler than all that. Think in terms of energy being transformed from one form to another. What kind of energy do the trains start with?

Potential energy, no?

tjohn101 said:
Potential energy, no?
No. Hint: The trains are moving.

Then kinetic energy.

tjohn101 said:
Then kinetic energy.

That is correct.
Now think about what that energy turns into, and apply the appropriate conservation laws to find the answer you're looking for.

This is where I keep getting messed up. I'm not sure how to convert the energy.

tjohn101 said:
This is where I keep getting messed up. I'm not sure how to convert the energy.
You don't need to "convert" anything. One form of energy (mechanical KE) just transforms into another (thermal energy). How much KE do the trains have to start with? How much do they end up with?

I'm getting the KEi as 2,663,628.472 and I'm fairly sure KEf is zero. It's tackling the problem from there that I have no idea about.

tjohn101 said:
I'm getting the KEi as 2,663,628.472
That's the KE of each car. What's the total KE? (And what are the units of energy?)
and I'm fairly sure KEf is zero.
Good. So how much of the initial KE was "transformed" into thermal energy?

tjohn101 said:
I'm getting the KEi as 2,663,628.472 and I'm fairly sure KEf is zero. It's tackling the problem from there that I have no idea about.

So you know [tex]E_{k_i}[/tex] and [tex]E_{k_f}[/tex] (Taking Doc Al's corrections into account)

What can you say about the total energy prior to, and after the collision? In what form is the energy prior to the collision, and in what form is it after the collision? And most importantly, what can you say quantitatively?

Wow. I feel dumb. All I've had to do this whole time is double the KE. :/ Okay thank you guys!

Oh, and if I have an angle at which something is pushed and a vertical height that the object gained, how can I find the speed?

tjohn101 said:
Wow. I feel dumb. All I've had to do this whole time is double the KE. :/ Okay thank you guys!

Oh, and if I have an angle at which something is pushed and a vertical height that the object gained, how can I find the speed?

The concept in your new question is exactly the same as that in this one. It is conservation of energy.

For a closed system, energy can not be created or destroyed, it can only be transformed from one form to another.

What we did in this question was look at the initial and final states (Prior to, and after the collision).
We calculated the total energy in each of them, said that they were equal (Conservation of energy!) and isolated for our unknown.

Writing this out would be:

[tex]E_{tot_i}=E_{tot_f}[/tex]

[tex]E_{tot_i}=E_{k_i}[/tex]
[tex]E_{tot_f}=E_{k_f}+Q[/tex]

Since we know the initial energy, and the kinetic energy in the final state, we were able to isolate our unknown, the heat, [tex]Q[/tex]

Though for this question that was especially easy since all the kinetic energy was transformed into heat.

Try applying the same principle to your new question. Look at the total energy in the initial state, and the total energy in the final state. Use the conservation of energy to say that these two energies are equal and isolate for your unknown, [tex]V_f[/tex]

It would be wise to use potential energy to solve this new problem.

Here is the actual question:

"A sled is initially given a shove up a frictionless 22.0° incline. It reaches a maximum vertical height 1.15 m higher than where it started. What was its initial speed?"

I'm trying to solve for Vi, and Vf is equal to zero.

I got the distance traveled by the sled by doing Xsin22=1.15 and solving for X.
X=3.069887237

How can I use the angle of 22 degrees along with the other information to solve for Vi?

tjohn101 said:
How can I use the angle of 22 degrees along with the other information to solve for Vi?
Two ways to go:
(1) Conservation of energy. Don't forget the work done by the friction force.
(2) Dynamics. Find the acceleration (using Newton's 2nd law) and then use kinematics.

Okay thank you guys again! I got that one too.

I used PE=KE, or mgh=1/2mv^2.

The m is canceled out on both sides, so the equation becomes gh=1/2v^2
Put in the information and you get:
(9.8)(1.15)=1/2v^2
11.27=1/2v^2
divide both sides by 1/2 and you get:
22.54=v^2
take the square root of both sides to get v=4.747630988

This is the correct way to do this, right? I'm pretty sure it is.

tjohn101 said:
This is the correct way to do this, right? I'm pretty sure it is.
Perfect! Just round off that answer to a reasonable number of significant figures and attach the proper units.

I'm confused on another one... I have the first half of it, but finding the height is proving to be a bit more difficult. Here she is:

"A vertical spring (ignore its mass), whose spring stiffness constant is 870 N/m, is attached to a table and is compressed down 0.180 m.

(a) What upward speed can it give to a 0.400 kg ball when released?
8.226748325 m/s
(b) How high above its original position (spring compressed) will the ball fly?
? m"

What I know:
m= .4 kg
v= 8.226748325 m/s
k= 870 N/m
X= it is the compressed distance, correct? then .180 m.

I have tried to solve for h by using PE=KE, but no luck so far. I don't know another way to do it, so any hints would be helpful.

Never mind I got it. Simple math error.

Last edited:

Related to Thermal energy problem. How was this answer reached?

1. What is thermal energy?

Thermal energy is a type of energy that results from the motion of particles within a substance. It is also known as heat energy and is often measured in units of joules (J).

2. How does thermal energy affect temperature?

Thermal energy and temperature are directly related, as an increase in thermal energy leads to an increase in temperature. However, the amount of thermal energy required to change the temperature of a substance depends on its specific heat capacity.

3. What is the difference between thermal energy and heat?

Thermal energy and heat are often used interchangeably, but there is a slight difference between the two. Thermal energy refers to the total energy of a substance, while heat is the transfer of thermal energy from one object to another.

4. How is thermal energy calculated?

The amount of thermal energy in a substance can be calculated using the formula Q = mcΔT, where Q is the thermal energy, m is the mass of the substance, c is its specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

5. How do scientists solve thermal energy problems?

To solve a thermal energy problem, scientists follow a systematic approach. They identify the given information, determine what is being asked, and then use relevant equations and principles to solve for the unknown quantity. The answer is reached by carefully applying the correct equations and units to ensure accuracy.