Thermal energy of a gas in a box

In summary: Thermal energy can be thought of as a combination of potential and kinetic energy inside the box, and is proportional to the average translational kinetic energy of the gas molecules. However, for molecules with internal degrees of freedom, thermal energy also includes kinetic energy about the centre of mass of the molecule. Additionally, potential energy can also play a role, as seen in the case of water vapor having more potential energy than liquid water at the same temperature.
appplejack

Homework Statement

What are the factors that determines the thermal energy of a gas in a 3d object like a box

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think thermal energy can be referred to as potential energy and also kinetic energy inside the box. If they are essentially the same, please let me know. I think that determines the thermal energy in the box is temperature, pressure (in terms of how much of gas is compressed - because unlike liquids and solids gases can be compressed.)

Physics news on Phys.org
appplejack said:

Homework Statement

What are the factors that determines the thermal energy of a gas in a 3d object like a box

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think thermal energy can be referred to as potential energy and also kinetic energy inside the box. If they are essentially the same, please let me know. I think that determines the thermal energy in the box is temperature, pressure (in terms of how much of gas is compressed - because unlike liquids and solids gases can be compressed.)
For an ideal monatomic gas,

[tex]\Delta U = nC_v\Delta T[/tex]

So if one starts at absolute 0 as having 0 internal energy, U would be nCvT. This does not take into account any ground state quantum energies.

For an ideal but not-necessarily monatomic gas, internal energy is:

[tex]\Delta U = \int_{T_1}^{T_2} nC_vdT[/tex]

Cv may be temperature dependent so it is not necessarily the case that [itex]\Delta U = nC_v\Delta T[/itex].

Internal energy is proportional to temperature which, in turn, is proportional to the average translational kinetic energy of the gas molecules. But this does not mean that internal energy consists only of translational kinetic energy of the gas molecules. For molecules that have internal degrees of freedom (diatomic molecules, for example, can rotate about two axes and vibrate about the centre of mass) some of that internal energy involves not only translational kinetic energy of the centres of mass of the molecules but kinetic energy about the centre of mass of the molecule.

As you point out, molecules can also have potential energy. This is the case with water, for example. Water vapour at 100C has more potential energy than liquid water at 100C.

AM

Related to Thermal energy of a gas in a box

1. What is thermal energy?

Thermal energy is the internal energy of a system due to the movement and vibration of its particles.

2. How is thermal energy related to the temperature of a gas?

The thermal energy of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature. As the temperature of a gas increases, so does its thermal energy.

3. How is the thermal energy of a gas in a box determined?

The thermal energy of a gas in a box is determined by the total kinetic energy of all the gas particles in the box.

4. What factors affect the thermal energy of a gas in a box?

The thermal energy of a gas in a box is affected by the temperature, pressure, and volume of the gas. It is also influenced by the number of particles and their mass.

5. How can the thermal energy of a gas in a box be changed?

The thermal energy of a gas in a box can be changed by altering the temperature, pressure, or volume of the gas. It can also be changed by adding or removing particles from the box.