Thermal energy density of the milky way

In summary, the interstellar medium of the Milky Way disk contains atomic hydrogen at 100 K with a number density of 2E-7 m-3. To find the average thermal energy density, we can use the formula E=3/2 kT, where k is the Boltzmann constant. For the average magnetic energy density, we can use the formula B^2/8π, where B is the magnetic field strength of 3E-10 T.
acdurbin953

Homework Statement

Interstellar medium is composed of atomic hydrogen at 100 K and number density 2E-7 m-3. Compute the average thermal energy density of the milky way disk. Then find the average magnetic energy density given the magnetic field strength of 3E-10 T.

Homework Equations

E=3/2 kT, maybe? Trying to recall some stuff from thermal physics.

The Attempt at a Solution

Embarrassingly, I had no idea where to begin with this problem, and have no idea if I'm on the right track.
So far I have solved for E, and was going to multiply my value by the number density to find the thermal energy density. There's nothing in our book or notes about how to solve a problem like this (no idea why), so I feel totally lost.
I have no idea how to solve fore the magnetic energy density. Any hints about where to start would be very, very helpful.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your method of finding the thermal energy density looks good.

Did you try a web search for magnetic field energy density?

I did, and found magnetic field energy density is B2/8π? Never seen that one before, but is that correct for this situation?

Related to Thermal energy density of the milky way

What is thermal energy density?

Thermal energy density is a measure of the amount of thermal energy present in a given volume of space. It is typically expressed in units of joules per cubic meter (J/m^3).

How is the thermal energy density of the Milky Way calculated?

The thermal energy density of the Milky Way is calculated by measuring the amount of thermal energy emitted by all the stars, gas, and other matter within a given volume of space. This measurement is then divided by the volume to determine the thermal energy density.

What is the estimated thermal energy density of the Milky Way?

The estimated thermal energy density of the Milky Way is approximately 0.2 J/m^3. This is significantly lower than the thermal energy density of other galaxies, as the Milky Way is a relatively small and calm galaxy compared to others.

How does the thermal energy density of the Milky Way compare to other galaxies?

The thermal energy density of the Milky Way is lower than many other galaxies, likely due to its smaller size and lower rate of star formation. However, there are some galaxies with even lower thermal energy densities, such as dwarf galaxies.

What impact does the thermal energy density of the Milky Way have on its evolution?

The thermal energy density of the Milky Way plays a significant role in its evolution and dynamics. It affects the formation and lifespan of stars, as well as the behavior of gas and other matter within the galaxy.