Thermal - derive a work equation

In summary, the conversation discusses how to derive the formula W = (P2V2 - P1V1) / \gamma -1 using relations between PV\gamma = constant and W(1 to 2) = -\int P(T,V) dV (from V1 to V2). The experts suggest using the relation P \ V^{\ \gamma} = \mbox{constant} to substitute for P in the integral used to calculate W. They also clarify that P is not constant and provide guidance on how to solve for P in the equation.
accountkiller

Homework Statement

Show how W= (P2V2 - P1V1) / [itex]\gamma[/itex] -1

can be derived using relations between PVgamma = constant, and W(1 to 2) = -[itex]\int[/itex] P(T,V) dV (from v1 to v2).

Homework Equations

I think we can use R = Cv ([itex]\gamma[/itex] - 1)

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure how to start. The integral would be W = [itex]\int[/itex] P2V2 - P1V1 dV, but that means we'd have to do partial differential equations, and the problem is not meant to be so difficult.

Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, the formula for work is [itex]W = \int P \ dV[/itex]. You can use [itex]\ P \ V^{\gamma} = \mbox{constant} \ [/itex] in that integral.

What exactly does it mean for PV[itex]\gamma[/itex] to equal a constant? It means that P and V are inversely proportional, right? I'm not sure what the [itex]\gamma[/itex] as an exponent of the V being constant means though.

mbradar2 said:
What exactly does it mean for PV[itex]\gamma[/itex] to equal a constant? It means that P and V are inversely proportional, right?
Only if γ is equal to 1. Inversely proportional would mean that PV=PV1=constant.

But since γ is not 1, P and V are not inversely proportional. So we have to leave it as
[tex] P \ V^{\ \gamma} = \mbox{constant}[/tex]
You can use that relation to substitude for P in the integral used to calculate W. If you do that substitution, then the integrand will be in terms of V and constants, and can be integrated.

I'm not sure what the [itex]\gamma[/itex] as an exponent of the V being constant means though.
γ is just an exponent, the relation involving P and V γ is just how the relation between P and V is expressed for an ideal gas undergoing an adiabatic process.

All right, by taking P to be constant and substituting PV = nRT, here's where I'm at:
[itex] W = \int P dV = \int \frac{nRT}{V} dV = nR \int \frac{T}{V} dV [/itex]

T is in the equation, so it's not just V that I can take an integral of.
Did I have a wrong step?

Actually, I'm sure I can substitute something into T in terms of V. I'll be back.

mbradar2 said:
All right, by taking P to be constant and substituting PV = nRT, here's where I'm at:
[itex] W = \int P dV = \int \frac{nRT}{V} dV = nR \int \frac{T}{V} dV [/itex]

T is in the equation, so it's not just V that I can take an integral of.
Did I have a wrong step?
P is not constant. [itex] PV^{\ \gamma} [/itex] is a constant -- call it k, if you wish, and solve for P:
[tex]PV^{\ \gamma} = k[/tex]
Therefore,
P = ____ ?​

Related to Thermal - derive a work equation

1. What is thermal energy?

Thermal energy is a type of energy that is created by the movement of particles within a substance. It is directly related to the temperature of the substance, with higher temperatures corresponding to higher amounts of thermal energy.

2. How is thermal energy measured?

Thermal energy is typically measured in units of joules (J) or calories (cal). It can also be measured in units of temperature, such as degrees Celsius or degrees Fahrenheit.

3. What is the work equation for thermal energy?

The work equation for thermal energy is Q = mcΔT, where Q represents the amount of thermal energy transferred, m is the mass of the substance, c is the specific heat capacity of the substance, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

4. How is thermal energy transferred?

Thermal energy can be transferred through various methods, including conduction, convection, and radiation. Conduction involves the transfer of heat through direct contact between two substances, while convection involves the movement of heated particles in a fluid. Radiation transfers thermal energy through electromagnetic waves.

5. What are some real-world applications of thermal energy?

Thermal energy has many practical applications, including heating and cooling systems, cooking, and electricity generation. It is also used in various industrial processes, such as melting metals and powering engines.