Thermal Conductivity Practical

In summary, the user is asking for help with plotting a graph of lg temp against t in a practical guide. They are wondering how to find the thermal conductivity of glass when the initial temperature is 20 C. They also mention assuming the gradient of the graph is kt/Brx and getting a value of 0.2++, but are unsure if this is correct. They ask for clarification on the units and for anyone to help them.
chickens
Hi there,...this isn't homework..its more to my practical...anyways...from the attachment given..that is the first page of my practical guide...the problem is...on the procedure part...it asked me to plot a graph of lg temp againts t ...if i do so...how do i get the thermal conductivity of glass as the initial temp is 20 C ?!?...so weird...because i don't get lg 20 as interception from the graph...btw..if i simply assume the gradient of graph plotted is kt/Brx ...then my thermal conductivity of glass is 0.2++...i don't think that's right :(...help me anyone..please

http://server2.uploadit.org/files/chickens-exp11.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
First of all
thermal conductivity of glass is 0.2++...

What is the unit. IT all depends on the units.

I think you need to look at the slope value again. It should be k/Brx since t is your independent variable and k,b,r and x are all constants. Also, pay heed to Gamma. Units will be your downfall if you are not careful.

oh..the units are all in W m^(-1) K^(-1)

Related to Thermal Conductivity Practical

1. What is thermal conductivity?

Thermal conductivity is the measure of a material's ability to conduct heat. It is the rate at which heat flows through a material per unit of thickness, when there is a temperature difference across the material.

2. How is thermal conductivity measured?

Thermal conductivity is typically measured using a device called a thermal conductivity meter. This device measures the amount of heat that flows through a material over a specific amount of time, while also taking into account the material's thickness and temperature difference.

3. What factors affect thermal conductivity?

The thermal conductivity of a material can be affected by several factors, including its composition, density, temperature, and moisture content. Generally, materials with higher density and lower moisture content have higher thermal conductivity.

4. How is thermal conductivity used in practical applications?

Thermal conductivity is an important property in many practical applications, such as building insulation, thermal packaging, and electronic cooling. It is also used in the design of heating and cooling systems to ensure efficient transfer of heat.

5. How can thermal conductivity be improved?

There are several ways to improve thermal conductivity, depending on the specific application. For example, in building insulation, adding materials with higher thermal conductivity can improve insulation efficiency. In electronic cooling, using materials with high thermal conductivity, such as copper or aluminum, can improve heat dissipation.