Thermal Conductivity of mixed gases?

In summary: The first part is a mixing term, the second is pressure dependence. The model calculates the thermal conductivity of the gas mixture using the Stiel and Thodos model with effective parameters determined by a somewhat complicated system of weightings. One of the factors I'm having trouble understanding is the compressibility factor.
Hologram0110
I'm working on a model that needs to calculate the approximate thermal conductivity of a mixture of gases. I'm having trouble finding a model which is being used by one of my sources but is not cited and I can't seem to find a source for it. I'm hoping that someone here might recognize the model and identify a source.

The source is an MASc thesis. The formula is given as:
[tex]
k_{gas} = \frac{\sum _i y_{i}\sqrt[3]{M_{i}}k_{0,i}T^{s_{i}}}{\sum _i y_i\sqrt[3]{M_i}}
\left( 1 + \left(0.51 T_R ^{-2.26} \right) P_R ^{1+2.5 T_R ^{-6.2}} \right)
[/tex]

The first part is a mixing term, the second is pressure dependence. I believe it may be a crude semi-empirical relationship (possibly for monatomic gases)

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm currently exploring other models, mainly "Modified Stiel and Thodos" as described in the book, "Properties of Liquids and Gases" 5th Ed by Poling, Prausnitz, and O'Connell.

I was hoping that maybe someone with more fluids experience could help me. The modified Stiel and Thodos model calculates the thermal conductivity of the gas mixture using the Stiel and Thodos model with effective parameters determined by a somewhat complicated system of weightings.

One of the factors I'm having trouble understanding is the compressibility factor. How would I calculate the compressibility factor? Currently I'm using the ideal gas law to calculate the pressure of the system, but that assumes a compressibility factor of 1. Is that a good assumption for mixtures of noble gases at temperatures from 293-1200k and pressures of 0.1-15 MPa?

From what I remember from my thermodynamics classes, noble gases are almost ideal gases except at extreme temperatures and/or pressures, but I don't remember if 15 MPa counts as extreme pressure. Should I be using a different P(n,T,V) model?

I found another source similar to the first, the numbers are very similar, but not to the power. They could be the same if for two typos...

[tex]k_{gas} = \frac{\sum _i y_{i}\sqrt[3]{M_{i}}k_{0,i}T^{s_{i}}}{\sum _i y_i\sqrt[3]{M_i}} \left( 1 + \left(0.51 T_R ^{-2.26} \right) P_R (12.5 T_R ^{-6.2}) \right)[/tex]

Related to Thermal Conductivity of mixed gases?

1. What is thermal conductivity?

Thermal conductivity is a measure of how well a material conducts heat. It is the rate at which heat energy is transferred through a material per unit of distance, temperature difference, and time.

2. How is thermal conductivity measured?

Thermal conductivity is typically measured using specialized equipment, such as a thermal conductivity meter or a hot plate apparatus. These instruments heat up one side of a sample and measure the temperature difference across the material to determine its thermal conductivity.

3. What factors affect thermal conductivity?

The thermal conductivity of a material can be affected by various factors, including its composition, density, temperature, and structure. In mixed gases, the thermal conductivity can also be influenced by the types and concentrations of individual gases present.

4. How does thermal conductivity of mixed gases differ from that of individual gases?

The thermal conductivity of mixed gases is usually lower than that of individual gases due to the interactions between the different gas molecules. The composition and pressure of the mixed gases can also affect the thermal conductivity.

5. Why is the thermal conductivity of mixed gases important?

The thermal conductivity of mixed gases is important in various industrial and scientific applications, such as in refrigeration, HVAC systems, and chemical reactions. It is also a crucial factor in understanding the heat transfer processes in the Earth's atmosphere and other planetary atmospheres.