Therefore, the solution set is $\boxed{ \left[ -4, 2 \right] }$.

• MHB
  • Thread starter tmt1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, the given inequality is solved by factoring it as $(x+1)^2 \leq 9$, taking the square root, and solving for $x$. This results in the solution $-4 \leq x \leq 2$.
tmt1
Solve the Ineqality

$$x^2 + 2x -8 \le 0$$I know enough to factor it like this

$$(x-4) (x+2) \le 0$$

So I get 4 and -2. I just don't know how to get to the answer from here which is:

$$x \ge -4\cup x\le 2$$

unless I'm misreading the answer incorrectly.

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You have factored it incorrectly.

$$x^2 + 2x - 8 = x^2 + (4 - 2)x - 4 \cdot 2 = x^2 + 4x - 2x - 2 \cdot 4 = x(x + 4) - 2(x + 4) = (x \, {\color{red}{+}} \, 4)(x \, {\color{red}{-}} \, 2)$$

NOT $(x - 4)(x + 2)$. So your inequality is

$$(x + 4)(x - 2) \leq 0$$

Note that if product of two reals is negative (or zero) then one of the two number must be negative and another must be positive (or both zero). Can you use this?

tmt said:
Solve the Ineqality

$$x^2 + 2x -8 \le 0$$I know enough to factor it like this

$$(x-4) (x+2) \le 0$$

So I get 4 and -2. I just don't know how to get to the answer from here which is:

$$x \ge -4\cup x\le 2$$

unless I'm misreading the answer incorrectly.

Thanks

The most direct way of solving quadratic inequalities is by completing the square...

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} x^2 + 2x - 8 &\leq 0 \\ x^2 + 2x &\leq 8 \\ x^2 + 2x + 1^2 &\leq 8 + 1^2 \\ \left( x + 1 \right) ^2 &\leq 9 \\ \sqrt{ \left( x + 1 \right) ^2 } &\leq \sqrt{9} \\ \left| x + 1 \right| &\leq 3 \\ -3 \leq x + 1 &\leq 3 \\ -4 \leq x &\leq 2 \end{align*}$

Related to Therefore, the solution set is $\boxed{ \left[ -4, 2 \right] }$.

1. What is an inequality?

An inequality is a mathematical expression that compares two quantities and indicates whether one quantity is greater than, less than, or equal to the other quantity.

2. How does inequality affect society?

Inequality can have significant impacts on society, including economic and social disparities, unequal access to resources and opportunities, and increased levels of poverty and social unrest.

3. What are some examples of inequalities?

Examples of inequalities include income inequality, gender inequality, racial inequality, educational inequality, and healthcare inequality.

4. How can we work on reducing inequality?

Working on reducing inequality involves implementing policies and initiatives that promote equal opportunities, support marginalized communities, and address systemic issues that contribute to inequality.

5. What role can scientists play in addressing inequality?

Scientists can play a crucial role in addressing inequality by conducting research and providing evidence-based solutions, advocating for equitable policies, and promoting diversity and inclusivity in their own fields.