Solving Problems Involving Solids and Fluids for Beginners

Using the equation F=mg, you can solve for the mass and then use that to find the volume and density of the object.
kamoey
Some of the problems, I really don't know how to even set up the problem. I don't want an answer for them, but I need an idea where to start.

1. Gauge pressure in both tires = 690 kPa.
Bike and the riders mass = 90.0 kg.
Find area of contact of each tire with the ground if each tire supports half the total weight.
I read the section that this problem corresponse to and could not figure out where to start.

3. Boat overloaded such that water level is 1.0cm below top of boat.
Total lenght= 4.5m
height= .3m
width= 2.0m

Find combinded mass of people and boat.

I'm not sure how to to this one.
I drew a FBD and got...
Force of boat=mg
Density of water x volume of object x gravity= mg
(1000kg/m^3)(2.61m^3)=mass
?=2610 kg

4. Irregularly shaped piece of metal
weight=.882 N. When submerged in water irregual object is suspended from scale rading .735 N.
Find volume and density of object.

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by kamoey
1. Gauge pressure in both tires = 690 kPa.
Bike and the riders mass = 90.0 kg.
Find area of contact of each tire with the ground if each tire supports half the total weight.
I read the section that this problem corresponse to and could not figure out where to start.
Think Pressure = Force/Area; the force must be enough to support the bike + rider.

3. Boat overloaded such that water level is 1.0cm below top of boat.
Total lenght= 4.5m
height= .3m
width= 2.0m

Find combinded mass of people and boat.

I'm not sure how to to this one.
I drew a FBD and got...
Force of boat=mg
Density of water x volume of object x gravity= mg
(1000kg/m^3)(2.61m^3)=mass
?=2610 kg
Assuming the boat is rectangular, you got it.

4. Irregularly shaped piece of metal
weight=.882 N. When submerged in water irregual object is suspended from scale rading .735 N.
Find volume and density of object.
The scale reading is the force that the scale must pull up to support the object. So, consider the forces acting on the object when it's submerged: The scale is pulling up, the bouyant force (water) is pushing up, and the weight is pulling down. These forces must balance.

For this problem, you can start by using the Archimedes' principle, which states that the buoyant force on an object submerged in a fluid is equal to the weight of the fluid displaced by the object. So, in this case, the buoyant force on the object is equal to the weight of the water that it displaces. From the given information, you can calculate the volume of the object by dividing the weight of the object by the difference between the weight of the object in air and the weight of the object in water. Once you have the volume, you can calculate the density by dividing the weight of the object by its volume.

To set up the problem, you can draw a free body diagram and label the forces acting on the object (weight, buoyant force, and tension force from the scale). Then, use the equations for each force to solve for the volume and density of the object. Remember to convert all units to the appropriate SI units before solving the equations.

Related to Solving Problems Involving Solids and Fluids for Beginners

What is the difference between solids and fluids?

Solids and fluids are two different states of matter. Solids have a fixed shape and volume, while fluids can change shape and take on the shape of their container. Solids also have a higher density compared to fluids.

How can I calculate the volume of a solid?

The volume of a solid can be calculated by multiplying its length, width, and height. The formula for volume is V = lwh, where l is the length, w is the width, and h is the height.

What is the formula for calculating the density of a fluid?

The formula for calculating the density of a fluid is d = m/v, where d is density, m is mass, and v is volume. The units for density are typically grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm3) or kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m3).

How do I convert units when solving problems involving solids and fluids?

To convert units, you can use conversion factors. These are ratios that express the relationship between two different units. For example, to convert cm3 to m3, you would use the conversion factor 1 cm3 = 0.000001 m3.

What are some real-world applications of solving problems involving solids and fluids?

Solving problems involving solids and fluids is important in many scientific and engineering fields. Some real-world applications include designing buildings and structures, understanding how liquids flow in pipes, and predicting the behavior of materials under different pressures and temperatures.