There are infinitely many composite numbers

This is the smallest pseudoprime for any base, but for a fixed base the pseudoprimes get very large very quickly. In summary, there are infinitely many composite numbers $n$ for which the statement $a^{n-1} \equiv 1 \pmod n$ holds, but it becomes much more complex when the value of $a$ is fixed. There are infinitely many pseudoprimes for each $a$, and the smallest case for $a=2$ is $n=341$.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hey again! (Rock)(Wasntme)

I want to show that there are infinitely many composite numbers $n$,for which stands:

$$a^{n-1} \equiv 1 \pmod n$$

So,it must be: $n \mid a^{n-1}-1$

But how can I show that there are infinitely many such $n$ ?? (Thinking)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You know that this result holds when $n$ is prime. Can you make use of that fact to deduce that it must also hold for some numbers that are not prime?

Opalg said:
You know that this result holds when $n$ is prime. Can you make use of that fact to deduce that it must also hold for some numbers that are not prime?

So could I use the fact that $\displaystyle{ n=p_1^{a_1} \cdots p_k^{a_k}, \text{ where } p_i \text{ are primes and } a_i \geq 1 } $ ? (Thinking)

What is $a$ in this question?

Deveno said:
What is $a$ in this question?

The only thing we know is that $a^{n-1} \equiv 1 \pmod n$.. (Thinking)

Hi! (Smile)

evinda said:
The only thing we know is that $a^{n-1} \equiv 1 \pmod n$.. (Thinking)

Isn't that what you need to prove rather than what you know? (Thinking)

Suppose $n=pq$ with $p, q$ primes.
What can you say?
And what do you need? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
Hi! (Smile)
Isn't that what you need to prove rather than what you know? (Thinking)

Suppose $n=pq$ with $p, q$ primes.
What can you say?
And what do you need? (Wondering)

I want to prove that there exist infinitely many composite numbers $n$,for which:

So,do we suppose that $n=p \cdot q$ and that: $a^{pq-1} \equiv 1 \pmod {pq}$ ?

But...do we know that $n$ is a product of only two primes raised to the power $1$ ? (Thinking) (Thinking)

My point is: is $a$ some FIXED number, or are we trying to prove this for EVERY $a$ AND every $n$?

Deveno said:
My point is: is $a$ some FIXED number, or are we trying to prove this for EVERY $a$ AND every $n$?

No,it is not a fixed number.. (Thinking)

evinda said:
I want to prove that there exist infinitely many composite numbers $n$,for which:

So,do we suppose that $n=p \cdot q$ and that: $a^{pq-1} \equiv 1 \pmod {pq}$ ?

But...do we know that $n$ is a product of only two primes raised to the power $1$ ? (Thinking) (Thinking)

If we can find infinitely many $n$ of the form $pq$ for which the statement holds, we're done.
If we can't, we'll have to come up with a new idea.
Just as a line of investigation I'm suggesting to look at $n$ of this form. (Thinking)

So we suppose that $n=p \cdot q$, and we'll try and find values for $p$ and $q$ such that $a^{pq-1} \equiv 1 \pmod {pq}$. The latter is not something we suppose, it's something we try to find.Btw, the meaning of $a$ is ambiguous as Deveno already said. It can mean:
  • A specific value that we can choose for which we have to find infinitely many $n$,
  • Any specific value for which we have to find infinitely many $n$
  • For infinitely many $n$ the statement holds for any $a$.
    In this case we will have to limit $a$ to be co-prime with $n$.
We'll see how much we can cover. (Sweating)

I like Serena said:
If we can find infinitely many $n$ of the form $pq$ for which the statement holds, we're done.
If we can't, we'll have to come up with a new idea.
Just as a line of investigation I'm suggesting to look at $n$ of this form. (Thinking)

So we suppose that $n=p \cdot q$, and we'll try and find values for $p$ and $q$ such that $a^{pq-1} \equiv 1 \pmod {pq}$. The latter is not something we suppose, it's something we try to find.Btw, the meaning of $a$ is ambiguous as Deveno already said. It can mean:
  • A specific value that we can choose for which we have to find infinitely many $n$,
  • Any specific value for which we have to find infinitely many $n$
  • For infinitely many $n$ the statement holds for any $a$.
    In this case we will have to limit $a$ to be co-prime with $n$.
We'll see how much we can cover. (Sweating)

So,we know that $a^{pq-1} \equiv 1 \pmod {pq}$ and as $(p,q)=1$,it must be:
$$a^{pq-1} \equiv 1 \pmod {p} \text{ and } a^{pq-1} \equiv 1 \pmod {q}$$

But...what else do we know? (Thinking) (Thinking)

evinda said:
So,we know that $a^{pq-1} \equiv 1 \pmod {pq}$ and as $(p,q)=1$,it must be:
$$a^{pq-1} \equiv 1 \pmod {p} \text{ and } a^{pq-1} \equiv 1 \pmod {q}$$

But...what else do we know? (Thinking) (Thinking)

How about $a^{\phi(pq)}\equiv 1 \pmod{pq}$? (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
How about $a^{\phi(pq)}\equiv 1 \pmod{pq}$? (Thinking)

Isn't it $\phi(p \cdot q)=\phi(p) \cdot \phi(q)=(p-1)(q-1)$?
How can we use this? (Thinking)

evinda said:
Isn't it $\phi(p \cdot q)=\phi(p) \cdot \phi(q)=(p-1)(q-1)$?
How can we use this? (Thinking)

So you know for sure that for any prime $p,q$:
$$a^{(p-1)(q-1)} \equiv 1 \pmod{pq}$$
that is, if $(a, pq)=1$.

And you want to find some $p,q$ such that:
$$a^{pq-1} \equiv 1 \pmod{pq}$$

Perhaps you can combine them to make it simpler. (Thinking)

evinda said:
Hey again! (Rock)(Wasntme)

I want to show that there are infinitely many composite numbers $n$,for which stands:

So,it must be: $n \mid a^{n-1}-1$

But how can I show that there are infinitely many such $n$ ?? (Thinking)
This question is more complicated than I first thought. Firstly, if $a$ is allowed to depend on $n$, then for any odd number $n$ we can take $a = n-1$. The binomial expansion of $(n-1)^{n-1}$ shows that $(n-1)^{n-1} \equiv 1 \pmod n.$

For a fixed value of $a$ we seem to be in the realm of Fermat pseudoprimes, where things become very much more complicated. For each $a$, there are infinitely many pseudoprimes $n$ (in other words, non-primes such that $a^{n-1} \equiv 1 \pmod n$). For $a=2$, the smallest case occurs when $n = 341$. In that case, $341 = 11\times 31$ is not prime, but apparently $2^{340}\equiv1 \pmod{341}.$

Related to There are infinitely many composite numbers

What does it mean for there to be infinitely many composite numbers?

Infinitely many composite numbers means that there is no upper limit to the number of composite numbers that exist. A composite number is any positive integer that is not a prime number, meaning it has more than two factors.

How do we know that there are infinitely many composite numbers?

This is a well-known theorem in mathematics called the Euclid's theorem. It states that for any finite list of prime numbers, there is always a larger prime number that can be formed by multiplying all the numbers in the list and adding 1. Therefore, there is always a larger composite number that can be formed by multiplying all the numbers in the list and adding 1.

Can you give an example of an infinitely large composite number?

One example of an infinitely large composite number is the number formed by multiplying all the prime numbers from 1 to n, and adding 1 (where n is any finite number). This number will always be larger than any prime number and therefore, it is always a composite number.

Are there more composite numbers than prime numbers?

Yes, there are infinitely many more composite numbers than prime numbers. This is because the set of prime numbers is a subset of the set of composite numbers, and the set of composite numbers is infinitely larger than the set of prime numbers.

Why is it important to understand that there are infinitely many composite numbers?

Understanding that there are infinitely many composite numbers is important in many areas of mathematics, such as number theory, cryptography, and prime factorization. It also helps us better understand the nature of numbers and their properties.