Theory of Awareness: Exploring Nature with Awareness Hypothesis

• Thread starter Jonny_trigonometry
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theory
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of explaining quantum physics phenomena, such as quantum entanglement, by giving elementary particles the attribute of "awareness". This awareness is defined as having two components: the ability to "know" and the ability to interpret the immediate surroundings. The conversation also delves into the concept of quantifying awareness and suggests that it may be impossible to fully quantify. It also explores the idea that awareness may be tied to energy and complexity. The conversation concludes with a discussion on the relationship between awareness and death, and the possibility that awareness may be trapped within the neural systems of the brain.
Jonny_trigonometry
Suppose that in order to explain the really "wierd" stuff in quantum physics like quantum entanglement, we give elementry particles another attribute; that of "awareness", surrounding each particle in a steadily decreasing energy density as a function of radial distance from it's center (a field of awareness). If we define awareness as having two components: 1. the ability to "know" and 2. the ability to interpret immediate surroundings/circumstances, then we could say that the particles don't react according to laws, but rather, they know what they are supposed to do depending on the knowledge of what they 'see' (or 'feel') around them, and what type of particle they are (as if they are perfect obeyers of "ordained" laws, but have the freedom of choice when they choose between two things when neither choice violates the "ordained" laws). They may be thought of as having a choice in certain circumstances, thus the uncertainty principle arises for those who wish to study the behavior of these particles. Of course this is merely a suggestion in interpreting experimental data, and should be derived in a way to better understand and predict natural processes; after all, if this way of thinking helps, then why not use it (much like the idea that E=hf)?

Is life the only thing that possesses awareness? Is a lifeform a stable structure of organized complex dynamical processes that all seemingly cooperate to emerge as a single entity with seemingly one mind? At what point does awareness emerge in living things? Can awareness be quantized down to each single particle of said living thing? If so, then the amount of awareness of each stable dynamical structure can be quantified according to the resolution of measured complexity and/or number of sub-systems of the lifeform in question.

A human for example would seemingly have much more complexity (or simply a much broader range of awareness) than a cat, because we can do a wider variety of things (like write, play the piano, paint, play football, etc.). A cat may seem to be less aware in these respects, but it can be aware of much more than us humans in terms of their immediate surroundings (including their amount of focus during short time intervals). For example, a cat's reflexes are known to be very quick, and probably faster than ours, and it is more in tune with a "spidy sense" or "intuition" about it's environment because cats (and all other animals) can sense earthquakes before they occur with much greater accuracy than humans with all their seismographs and computer equipment. The point is, awareness is a very tricky thing to quantify, and most likely impossible because no single awareness can be aware of everything that needs to be taken into account in any particular event. It's also distasteful because it tempts one to quantify the highest awareness possible, which is philosophically very contraversial. I would venture to guess that there is an agreeable conclusion to these problems in the uncertainty principle, that it's defined to be impossible to quantify god, even taking into account everything in the universe, because you'd still be dealing with an awareness that has the freedom to decide things one way or the other. Nevertheless, these thought explorations won't stop me from acting under a lack of awareness of how reality truly works.

With all of that out of the way, let's define one quantum of awareness. First of all, what should it be dependant on? The two things stated above? 1. Knowledge, 2. Interpretation: A=IK. Knowdelge needs to be a vector, defining the present energy state of the partcle, it's spin, and location among other particles. Interpretation must be an operator that operates on the Knowledge vector in a way particular to the type of structure (particle in question), since each particle behaves in it's own particular way, each particle should have a corresponding operator that, when operated on it's corresponding knowledge, equals a frequency. K is not going to be constant, but is influenced by a recursion relation with it's previous state-space and the operator. The operator is constant, but there is a need for as many of them as there are known particles. Awareness doesn't exist in small time intervals, because it takes time to think, so the relation A=IK doesn't really mean anything because it only exists for a moment in time (dt), it is a single frequency though, and therefore, it has a corresponding energy E=hA, during this moment in time dt. The true awareness wave is a seemingly chaotic pattern of different frequencies, all with no known rhyme or reason, in essence 100% random, but during any particular "snapshot" the awareness is a single-valued frequency corresponding to a specific energy of the system at that time. The awareness function is both dependant on the amount of it's own energy and it's own complexity of operation.

The only argument I can supply as to why awareness in an amount of energy is because of something I read about experiments that a scientist did which observed an average change in weight of humans as they passed away (which basically was just an experiment where a highly sensitive scale is built into the bed of terminally ill patients, and data is continually plotted). Studies concluded that an average loss of 2/3 of an ounce occurred upon death. Since E=mc^2, then the awareness of the average human would be something like (((2/3)/16)(lb)/32.2(ft/s^2))*(14.59(kg))(3*10^8)(m/s^s)^2=
1.699*10^15 Joules. Keep in mind, this is something I can't verify because I can't remember the guy's name, or find a link to his study... why does the awareness correspond to an amount of overall mass? Perhaps the awareness function is trapped within the many twists and turns of all the neural systems in the brain, as if the brain itself is like a finite universe that curves around in circles leaving the awareness with no escape until the whole system breaks down and the awareness exits it's loop. This implies that the awareness surrounding each particle can be transferred to other particles, and some particles may possesses more than others, much like the property of mass or charge. The more I think about this, the less it seems possible... If it's transferrable, then it's inducable, and if it's inducable, then awareness doesn't need to be localized around particles. This moves all the way over to cosmology... Perhaps the dark matter, or dark energy is cosmic awareness? Can awareness be created or destroyed? if an awareness can be created but not destroyed, then thermodynamics is violated, but the accelerating expansion can be better explained since there will be an increasing amount of awareness in the universe over time (increasing energy). Maybe thermodynamics doesn't have to be violated since we don't know with certainty, the way awareness behaves. What if awareness doesn't even need to exist within the universe at all? I don't see why not. I guess I should change the "theory of awarenss" into "hypothesis of awareness" or maybe even "extemporateous writing adventure"...

I hope I've entertained you.

Physics news on Phys.org
hmm, sorry people, I didn't know this idea was already established (panpsychism). I was basically trying to set up a way to model panpsychism quantum mechanically, but realized that I have no idea what I'm doing. hehe

The Theory of Awareness presented in this content is certainly intriguing and thought-provoking. It suggests that the behavior of elementary particles in quantum physics can be explained by giving them the attribute of awareness. This awareness is defined as having the ability to know and interpret their surroundings, and it is proposed that this is what causes the particles to behave in seemingly unpredictable ways.

The idea of quantizing awareness down to the level of individual particles is certainly a bold one, and raises interesting questions about the nature of life and consciousness. The concept that a lifeform is a stable structure of organized complex dynamical processes that all cooperate to emerge as a single entity with one mind is an intriguing one, and could potentially have implications for our understanding of life and consciousness.

However, there are also some limitations and potential issues with this theory. The idea that awareness can be transferred between particles and that some particles may possess more awareness than others raises questions about the transferability and measurement of this awareness. Additionally, the suggestion that awareness could potentially violate thermodynamics is a controversial one and would require further evidence and explanation.

Overall, the Theory of Awareness is an interesting and thought-provoking concept, but as the author acknowledges, it is currently just a hypothesis and would require further research and evidence to be fully developed and accepted in the scientific community. It certainly adds an interesting perspective to the study of quantum physics and the nature of consciousness.

1. What is the Theory of Awareness?

The Theory of Awareness is a scientific hypothesis that proposes that the natural world can be better understood and explored through the lens of awareness. It suggests that by being aware of our surroundings and our own perceptions, we can gain a deeper understanding of the world around us.

2. How is the Theory of Awareness different from other scientific theories?

The Theory of Awareness differs from traditional scientific theories in that it focuses on the role of consciousness and perception in understanding nature. It emphasizes the importance of observation and awareness in scientific exploration, rather than solely relying on empirical data and experimentation.

3. What evidence supports the Theory of Awareness?

There are several studies that support the Theory of Awareness, including research on the placebo effect, the observer effect in quantum physics, and the role of meditation and mindfulness in enhancing perception and cognition. Additionally, many scientists have reported personal experiences that align with the principles of the theory.

4. How can the Theory of Awareness be applied in scientific research?

The Theory of Awareness can be applied in various scientific fields, such as ecology, psychology, and physics. It can be used to design experiments that incorporate the role of consciousness and perception, as well as to develop new methods of data collection and analysis. It can also be used to guide scientists in their observations and interpretations of natural phenomena.

5. What are the potential implications of the Theory of Awareness?

The Theory of Awareness has the potential to revolutionize our understanding and approach to scientific research. It may lead to new discoveries and insights about the natural world, and may also have practical applications in fields such as medicine and technology. Additionally, it may bring about a shift in our perception of the world and our place within it, promoting a more holistic and interconnected view of nature.