What Are the Two Possible Wind Velocities in This Relative Velocity Problem?

In summary, the man walking north at 4m/s and a constant wind with a speed of 3m/s can result in two possible wind velocities: -3i+ 4j and 1i+ 4j. By setting up coordinate systems and using equations to solve for the wind's velocity, we can find that the second possible wind velocity is 1i+4j.
mcintyre_ie
Id be very grateful for any help with this relative velocity question:

To a man walking North at 4m/s, a constant wind appears to have a speed f 3m/s. The man then changes direction, and when he is walking West at 3m/s the wind appears to have a speed of 4 m/s. There are two possible wind velocities.

If I and j are unit vectors in the east and north directions, respectively:
1) Show that -3i + 4j is one possible wind velocity
2) Find the second possible wind velocity.

Ok, so this is what I¡¦ve got so far:
Vm (Velocity of man) = 4m/s = 4j m/s. (When wind appears to have Vw (Velocity of wind) of 3m/s)
Vm (Velocity of man) =3m/s = 3i m/s (wind appears to have Vw (Velocity of wind) of 4m/s)

Vm = 4j
Vwm = xi
Vw = ai + bj

Vwm = Vw ¡V Vm
Xi = ai + bj ¡V 4j
Xi = ai + bj +0i -4j
„Ã xi = ai
„Ã x = a

„Ã 0 = b ¡V 4
„Ã b=4

Vm = -3i
Vwm = yi ¡V yj
Vw = ai + bj

Vwm = Vw ¡V Vm
Yi ¡V yj = (ai + bj) + 3i
„Ã yi = ai +3i
„Ã -y = b
„Ã y = -4

Y = a ¡V 3
-4 = a ¡V 3
1 = a

This gives me a velocity of 1i + 4j.

Have i gone totally wrong, or have i just found the answer to part two instead of part one?
If so, what do i do next to find the second velocity, or, if its all just totally wrong, how should i actually go about doing the question?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Physics news on Phys.org
Any help is appreciated

Anybody at all?

Okay, I saw this the other day, meant to respond and didn't get around to it!

The man is, originally walking n so, setting up a coordinate system with i pointing east, j pointing north, his velocity vector is, as you say, 4j.
I'm not at all sure what you mean by
"Vwm = Vw ¡V Vm
Xi = ai + bj ¡V 4j
Xi = ai + bj +0i -4j"

You defined Vm and Vw but you didn't say what Vwm was except "xi" which isn't a definition since you hadn't define xi! What is "iV"?

Here's how I would do it: writing the wind's velocity vector as ai+ bj (your "Vw"), the velocity of the wind relative to the man is (ai+ bj)- 4j= ai+ (b-4)j. The speed of the wind relative to the man is √(a2+ (b-4)2). We are told that this 3.

When the man is walking west at 3 m/s, his velocity vector is -3i (you have 3i: that would be walking east) and the velocity of the wind relative to him is (a+ 3)i+ b. The speed of the wind relative to the man is √((a+ 3)2+ b2). We are told that that is 4.

Squaring both sides of √(a2+ (b-4)2)= 3, we get (a2+ (b-4)2= 9.
Squaring both sides of √((a-3)2+ b2) we get (a-3)2+ b2= 16.
That gives 2 equations to solve for a and b.

Actually, we don't need to solve to answer the first part. It just asks that we show that -3i+ 4j (that is, a=-3, b= 4) satisfies the conditions. Putting a= -3, b= 4 in the first equation, we have
(-3)2+ (4-4)2= (-3)2+ 02= 9 which is correct.
Puting a=-3, b= 4 in the second equation, we have
(-3+ 3)2+ (4)2= 16 which is, again, correct.
Yes, a wind speed of -3i+ 4j satisfies both conditions.

Going back to the equations that must be satisfied,
(a2+ (b-4)2= 9 and
(a+3)2+ b2= 16 we can multiply the squares and get:
a2+ b2- 8b+ 16= 9 and
a2+ 6a+ 9+ b2 = 16.
Subtracting the second equation from the first, the "a2" and "b2" terms cancel and we have
-8b- 6a= -14 or, dividing by -2, 4b+ 3a= 7.
(Notice that b= 4, a= -3 satisfy this.)

putting a= 7/3- (4/3)b into the fist equation, we have
(7/3-(4/3)b)2+ (b-4)2= 9 or
49/9- (56/9)b+ (16/9)b2+ b2-8b+ 16= 9 which is the quadratic equation (25/9)b2- (128/9)b+ 112/9= 0.

That is the same as 25b2- 128 b+ 112= 0.

Knowing that b= 4 is one solution, it shouldn't be hard to factor and find the other possible value for b and then find a.

1. How is relative velocity different from absolute velocity?

Relative velocity is the velocity of an object with respect to another moving object, while absolute velocity is the velocity of an object with respect to a stationary reference point. In other words, relative velocity takes into account the motion of both objects, while absolute velocity only considers the motion of the object in question.

2. How do you calculate relative velocity?

To calculate relative velocity, you must first determine the velocities of both objects and their directions. Then, you can use vector addition or subtraction to find the relative velocity, depending on whether the objects are moving in the same direction or opposite directions.

3. Can relative velocity be negative?

Yes, relative velocity can be negative. This occurs when the two objects are moving in opposite directions, resulting in a negative value for their relative velocity.

4. How does relative velocity affect collisions?

Relative velocity plays a crucial role in determining the outcome of collisions between objects. The relative velocity at the point of impact will determine the amount of kinetic energy transferred between the two objects, and can also determine whether the collision is elastic or inelastic.

5. What are some real-world examples of relative velocity?

Some examples of relative velocity in everyday life include driving a car, where your velocity is relative to the other cars on the road, and playing a game of catch, where the velocity of the ball is relative to the person throwing it. It also applies to the motion of celestial bodies, such as planets orbiting around the sun.