Theories on the beginning of the universe before the Big Bang Theory

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's search for alternative theories to explain the beginning of the universe before the widely accepted big bang theory. They mention finding the steady state theory and references to the early development of the big bang theory, but express frustration with the predominance of creationism and religious debates in their search. The expert summarizer concludes that most theories fall into the categories of creation or steady state and suggests that the task may be to explore ancient ideas.
francesco314
Hello everybody,

I'm doing a little research for an Astrophysics course and I am supposed to talk about some older theories that have been developed to try to explain the beginning of the universe before the big bang theory became widely accepted. Sadly, when I look for them, most of what I find is about creationism and other religious related debate, which is both irritating to read and not in my interest.
The only things I was able to find were the steady state theory and some references to the early development of the big bang theory (basically the steps that brought to the theory we have nowadays, whereas I'm looking for alternative theories that precede the BBT).

I'm just asking for a good source to use or the names of such theories, so that I would be able to start my researches!

Thanks in advance!

Space news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;

francesco314 said:
Hello everybody,

I'm doing a little research for an Astrophysics course and I am supposed to talk about some older theories that have been developed to try to explain the beginning of the universe before the big bang theory became widely accepted. Sadly, when I look for them, most of what I find is about creationism and other religious related debate, which is both irritating to read and not in my interest.
That's pretty much what there was before the big bang.

The only things I was able to find were the steady state theory and some references to the early development of the big bang theory (basically the steps that brought to the theory we have nowadays, whereas I'm looking for alternative theories that precede the BBT).
That's the other one.

Basically all "origin of the universe" theories are either some form of creation or some form of steady state ... either the Universe had a start someplace or it always existed. They have all been an elaborate way of saying "we don't really know but..."

I don't think you will find anything that is not outside these.
This sort of task is usually set specifically to get you to look at ancheint ideas.

Related to Theories on the beginning of the universe before the Big Bang Theory

1. What were the leading theories on the beginning of the universe before the Big Bang Theory?

Before the Big Bang Theory gained widespread acceptance, the two leading theories on the origin of the universe were the Steady State Theory and the Oscillating Universe Theory.

2. What is the Steady State Theory?

The Steady State Theory proposed that the universe has always existed in a constant state, with matter being continuously created to maintain a constant density as the universe expands.

3. What is the Oscillating Universe Theory?

The Oscillating Universe Theory suggested that the universe goes through cycles of expansion and contraction, with each cycle beginning with a Big Bang and ending with a Big Crunch.

4. Why did these theories lose popularity?

Both the Steady State Theory and the Oscillating Universe Theory were unable to explain certain observed phenomena, such as the cosmic microwave background radiation and the abundance of light elements in the universe. As more evidence supporting the Big Bang Theory emerged, these theories lost popularity.

5. Are there any other theories on the beginning of the universe?

Yes, there are several other theories, such as the Inflationary Theory and the Ekpyrotic Theory. However, the Big Bang Theory is currently the most widely accepted and supported by evidence.