Theories on Dimensions/Time Quantized?

In summary, there is currently no evidence to suggest that space and time are anything but continuous. The concept of the Planck scale is more a reflection of our current lack of knowledge rather than a fundamental truth about the universe. While particles such as electrons and photons may have distinct sizes, they are considered to be fundamental and not made up of smaller particles. The possibility of splitting these particles through collision is still being explored, but it is not yet known if it is possible.
evankiefl
I wasn't sure what category to put this in or if the proceeding questions are established theory so I decided to put it in "Beyond the Standard Model."

Is there evidence to suggest that a length can only be so small or that all lengths are infinitely divisible?

Is there evidence to suggest that time is continuous or that it exists only in discrete frames?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
evankiefl said:
I wasn't sure what category to put this in or if the proceeding questions are established theory so I decided to put it in "Beyond the Standard Model."

Is there evidence to suggest that a length can only be so small or that all lengths are infinitely divisible?

Is there evidence to suggest that time is continuous or that it exists only in discrete frames?

Thanks.

Myself, I believe that lengths are infinitely divisible simply because I can't imagine a object so small that you can't split/divide it. Even if we (humans) cannot divide it in a experiment, the object still exists and has mass. Even if it was 1000's of times smaller than a proton, emphasis on 'if it was', I believe that you could always, theoretically divide it. I simply can't imagine not being able to divide something even if we don't have the technology to do so. Also, I can't imagine a particle that is made up of nothing except itself - if that makes sense.

What do you mean by, is time continuous?

I mean, are moments in time infinitely divisble or does change occur in discrete frames, analgous to the way that light have bundled energy quanta.

what do you think?

There is currently absolutely no evidence to suggest that space and time are anything but continuous.

Theoretically, people often talk about the Planck length and Planck time being the smallest meaningful units of space and time. This is, however, more a statement about our lack of knowledge than any deep truth about the universe. Essentially, the Planck scale simply tells us when our currently decoupled theories of quantum mechanics and gravity will need to be unified in order to get a correct picture of reality.

MegaDeth said:
Myself, I believe that lengths are infinitely divisible simply because I can't imagine a object so small that you can't split/divide it. Even if we (humans) cannot divide it in a experiment, the object still exists and has mass. Even if it was 1000's of times smaller than a proton, emphasis on 'if it was', I believe that you could always, theoretically divide it. I simply can't imagine not being able to divide something even if we don't have the technology to do so. Also, I can't imagine a particle that is made up of nothing except itself - if that makes sense.

What do you mean by, is time continuous?

Fundamental particles have distinct "sizes" that are quantized in a way if you will. You cannot ever divide them into anything. But we are talking about spacetime, not matter. As has been said above, we have no reason to believe that time or space is quantized.

Drakkith said:
Fundamental particles have distinct "sizes" that are quantized in a way if you will. You cannot ever divide them into anything. But we are talking about spacetime, not matter. As has been said above, we have no reason to believe that time or space is quantized.

But even if you had the smallest particle, wouldn't you be able to accelerate them to high speeds and collide with each other so they split up, like we do with protons?

MegaDeth said:
But even if you had the smallest particle, wouldn't you be able to accelerate them to high speeds and collide with each other so they split up, like we do with protons?

No, as the particles do not split up. Let's look at electrons since protons are not fundamental particles but are composite particles made up of quarks. When two electrons are collided at high speeds they create a number of particles. The key here is that they can create particles that are MORE massive than they are! It's like crashing your car into a brick wall at 99% the speed of light and having 5 buses appear from the wreckage! The particles were not part of the electrons to begin with, they were created from the kinetic energy of the two electrons. To the very best of our knowledge Electrons, Photons, Quarks, and various other particles ARE fundamental. IE they are not made up of smaller less massive particles.

Related to Theories on Dimensions/Time Quantized?

What is the theory of dimensions?

The theory of dimensions is the idea that the universe we live in is made up of more than just the three dimensions of length, width, and height. It suggests that there may be additional dimensions that we are not currently aware of.

What is time quantization?

Time quantization is the concept that time is not continuous, but instead is made up of discrete units or intervals. This theory suggests that time is not a smooth flow, but rather moves in a series of steps.

How do dimensions and time quantization relate?

Some theories propose that the extra dimensions in the universe may be linked to the quantization of time. These dimensions may only be accessible at certain points in time or may be affected by the discrete nature of time.

What evidence is there for these theories?

There is currently no direct evidence for the existence of extra dimensions or the quantization of time. However, some theories, such as string theory, rely on the existence of additional dimensions to explain certain phenomena in the universe.

What are the implications of these theories?

If these theories are proven to be true, it would fundamentally change our understanding of the universe and how it operates. It could also have practical applications, such as improving our understanding of gravity and potentially leading to new technologies.