Theoretical Rotational-Linear Kinetic Energy Ratio of Spherical Projectile

In summary, the conversation is about the theoretical ratio of rotational kinetic energy to linear kinetic energy of a spherical projectile. The person asking for help is trying to find a method to calculate these values for a ball launched out of a pitching machine with rotating wheels. The question of why the ratio would be constrained to a particular value is raised, as it could vary depending on the motion of the projectile. Without additional information, it is difficult to provide a specific answer.
anmanc
For my investigation regarding the aerodynamic forces on a spherical projectile, I really need to know the theoretical ratio of rotational kinetic energy to linear kinetic energy of a spherical projectile (assuming the only spin is forward spin and there is no Magnus effect).

Can someone please help me out?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why would it be constrained to any particular ratio? It could be translating with no rotation, or it could be rotating with no translation, or any combination of the two. Unless you have additional information which constrains the projectile's motion in some way, this isn't really answerable.

I'm not really sure. Thanks for your help, this was just another attempt at finding a method to calculate theoretical values for the rate of spin and velocity of a ball launched out of a pitching machine consisting of two variably rotating wheels.

Related to Theoretical Rotational-Linear Kinetic Energy Ratio of Spherical Projectile

What is the "Theoretical Rotational-Linear Kinetic Energy Ratio of Spherical Projectile"?

The "Theoretical Rotational-Linear Kinetic Energy Ratio of Spherical Projectile" is a measure of the ratio between the rotational and linear kinetic energy of a spherical projectile. It is used to analyze the motion and energy of a projectile when it is fired or launched.

How is the "Theoretical Rotational-Linear Kinetic Energy Ratio of Spherical Projectile" calculated?

The ratio is calculated by dividing the rotational kinetic energy (1/2 * I * ω^2) by the linear kinetic energy (1/2 * m * v^2), where I is the moment of inertia, ω is the angular velocity, m is the mass, and v is the velocity of the projectile.

Why is the "Theoretical Rotational-Linear Kinetic Energy Ratio of Spherical Projectile" important?

This ratio is important because it helps us understand the distribution of energy between rotational and linear motion in a projectile. It can also provide insights into the stability and trajectory of the projectile.

How does the "Theoretical Rotational-Linear Kinetic Energy Ratio of Spherical Projectile" change with different factors?

The ratio can change depending on the mass, velocity, and shape of the projectile. A heavier projectile with a higher angular velocity will have a higher rotational-linear kinetic energy ratio. Additionally, the ratio can change as the projectile moves through different mediums or experiences external forces such as air resistance.

How is the "Theoretical Rotational-Linear Kinetic Energy Ratio of Spherical Projectile" used in real-life applications?

This ratio is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and sports. It is particularly helpful in designing and understanding the motion and energy of projectiles such as bullets, cannonballs, and sports balls. It can also aid in optimizing the performance and accuracy of these projectiles.