Theoretical Physics MSc courses

In summary: They are usually intensive and require a high level of dedication and hard work. The Imperial College MSc in "Quantum Fields and Fundamental Forces" is highly recommended and not very difficult to get into. Other options include the Part III program at Cambridge or the Perimeter Scholars International program. These courses focus on non-string theoretical physics beyond the standard model and provide excellent preparation for research in this field. The deadline for the Fall '09 application may have passed, but there are other options available. Most MSc courses in the UK lead to a degree within 12 months, making them a more intensive option for those looking to complete their degree in a shorter amount of time.
Orbb
I'm looking for graduate courses with focus on non-string theoretical physics beyond the standard model (or at least, courses preparing for research in that field). I'm also open to string content, but I find other approaches more intriguing.

Recently I came across Imperial College's MSc course "Quantum Fields and Fundamental Forces", which I find highly appealing.

So my question is, do you know of any comparable courses that could also be taken into consideration? Even better, you may possibly have some experiences to share?

In advance, thank you very much for your answers!

Physics news on Phys.org
Orbb said:
Recently I came across Imperial College's MSc course "Quantum Fields and Fundamental Forces", which I find highly appealing.

This is the course I would recommend. Alternatively, Part III at Cambridge gives good preparation, although it isn't an official MSc course (if that matters to you).

Thank you. Together with another one in Munich, these are some interesting options. Can you tell me anything about how hard these courses are to get into? Cambridge and Imperial College are big names.

(Edit: It wouldn't matter much, if the course was not an official MSc, as I think I can finish my degree back home in that case. I'm considering one year of abroad study ideally.)

Orbb said:
Thank you. Together with another one in Munich, these are some interesting options. Can you tell me anything about how hard these courses are to get into? Cambridge and Imperial College are big names.

(Edit: It wouldn't matter much, if the course was not an official MSc, as I think I can finish my degree back home in that case. I'm considering one year of abroad study ideally.)
The Imperial MSc isn't that hard to get into, you just have to have a 2:1 degree or better, ideally a first. You don't need to have gone to an excellent university or have stellar references, they are just going to look at your results. In my year there were some people with a 2:2.

How do people fund the Imperial MSc, has the deadline for Fall '09 passed to apply for here?

I also wonder how these courses lead to a full degree within 12 months. Are these just more intensive? Most MSc courses I know of lead to degree after two years of study.

Orbb said:
I also wonder how these courses lead to a full degree within 12 months. Are these just more intensive? Most MSc courses I know of lead to degree after two years of study.

Full time MSc courses in the UK are one year long.

Related to Theoretical Physics MSc courses

1. What is the difference between a Theoretical Physics MSc and a Physics MSc?

A Theoretical Physics MSc focuses on developing theoretical models and mathematical frameworks to explain physical phenomena, while a Physics MSc covers a broader range of topics including experimental research, applied physics, and engineering. Theoretical Physics MSc courses are more mathematically intensive and are geared towards students interested in pursuing research or academic careers.

2. What are the career options for someone with a Theoretical Physics MSc?

Graduates with a Theoretical Physics MSc can pursue careers in research, academia, and industry. They can work as theoretical physicists, research scientists, data analysts, or in fields such as finance, engineering, and technology. Many also go on to pursue PhD programs in physics or related fields.

3. What skills and knowledge can I expect to gain from a Theoretical Physics MSc course?

Theoretical Physics MSc courses cover a wide range of topics such as classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics, electromagnetism, and relativity. Students will develop advanced mathematical and analytical skills, as well as gain a deep understanding of fundamental physical principles and theories. They will also learn to apply these concepts to real-world problems through research projects and coursework.

4. Are there any prerequisites for enrolling in a Theoretical Physics MSc course?

Most Theoretical Physics MSc programs require applicants to have a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field such as mathematics or engineering. Some programs may also require a minimum GPA and standardized test scores, such as the GRE. It is also beneficial for students to have a strong background in mathematics and programming.

5. What research opportunities are available for Theoretical Physics MSc students?

Theoretical Physics MSc programs often have research opportunities for students to work on projects with faculty members. These projects can vary from developing and testing theoretical models to analyzing data and simulations. Additionally, many programs offer opportunities for students to collaborate with other research institutions and participate in conferences and workshops to present their work.