Theoretical models of the Earth's Electric Field?

In summary, the conversation is about researching atmospheric energy harvesting and establishing theoretical baselines. There is a lack of standard theoretical models and limitations due to specific conditions and regions. The person is asking for papers or texts to guide their research and is warned about the presence of woo and woo'sters in that field. There are also recommendations for specific resources and precautions to take when working with atmospheric energy harvesting.
JyD
I am doing some research into atmospheric energy harvesting. To design a proper feasibility experiment, I need to establish some theoretical baselines. I see a lot of values for the field strength for example, tossed about from various papers. However, there does not seem to be a standard theoretical model to account for things such as atmospheric conditions, weather, terrain etc. The experiment tends to be limited to a specific region under specific conditions. So far, I have not encountered any good papers to push my research forward. Does anyone have any papers or texts that can point me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
That's a very broad question. It sounds like a degree in meteorology is what you need.

IIRC, ambient weather provides ~100 Volts per vertical metre, but at VERY HIGH impedance.

Downside, the Voltage may vary very rapidly with changes in the weather. Also, like it or not, you are hanging out an extended aerial, which may suddenly become a lightning conductor. Take advice from amateur radio operators & clubs etc on how to rig such, with robust, proven by-pass and grounding arrangements...
DUE CARE, PLEASE.

I'd looked into such as a plot-line for a WIRS tale, found 'Radio Nature' (RSGB) by Renato Romero very useful. That's mostly for VLF / ELF / SLF signals, but such wavelengths are so long that a tuned antenna is impracticable, and measuring the static field may be the way to go...

I also picked up 'VLF phenomena', ed ARW Hughes, Csaba Ferenz & AK Gwal.

Be warned there is an eye-watering surfeit of woo and woo'sters around that part of the spectrum. Between HAARP, Schumann Resonance and Telluric Currents, finding real science is hard work. My home often rang to the shriek of, 'Not ANOTHER Orgone site ??'

Likes anorlunda and berkeman

Related to Theoretical models of the Earth's Electric Field?

1. What is the Earth's electric field?

The Earth's electric field is a complex system of electric charges and currents that exist within and around the planet. It is generated by a variety of sources, including the Earth's rotation, the movement of charged particles in the atmosphere, and interactions with the Sun's magnetic field.

2. How is the Earth's electric field measured?

The Earth's electric field is measured using a variety of instruments, including magnetometers, electric field sensors, and satellites. These instruments can detect changes in the strength and direction of the field, as well as variations in its frequency and wavelength.

3. What are some applications of theoretical models of the Earth's electric field?

Theoretical models of the Earth's electric field have a wide range of applications, including studying the effects of space weather on Earth's atmosphere, predicting the behavior of the ionosphere, and understanding the dynamics of the Earth's magnetic field. They are also used in satellite navigation, communication systems, and weather forecasting.

4. How do scientists create theoretical models of the Earth's electric field?

Scientists use a combination of mathematical equations, computer simulations, and data from various instruments to create theoretical models of the Earth's electric field. These models are constantly being refined and updated as new data and technologies become available.

5. What are some current challenges in understanding the Earth's electric field?

One of the biggest challenges in understanding the Earth's electric field is the complex and dynamic nature of the system. The interactions between different sources of electric fields and the constantly changing conditions in the Earth's atmosphere make it difficult to create accurate and comprehensive models. Additionally, there are still many aspects of the Earth's electric field that are not fully understood, such as the role of lightning and the effects of solar storms.