Theoretical max. pressure of a given quantity of water freezing to ice

In summary, when water freezes in rock crevices, it can exert pressure on the rock due to the expansion of frozen water. The maximum pressure that water can exert when it freezes can be calculated using the equation Force = Pressure x Area. However, determining the force and area involved in this scenario may be difficult without knowing the geometry of the water and its acceleration.
anisotropic

Homework Statement

Water in rock crevices often causes erosion when it freezes, given it expands and exerts pressure on the rock. What is the maximum pressure that water can exert when it freezes?

T = 263.15 K
dice @ 263.15 K = 0.9 g cm3
dwater @ 263.15 K = 1.0 g cm3

Homework Equations

Force = Pressure x Area

Perhaps?...

The Attempt at a Solution

Assuming 1 mole of water, the volume of the ice would be 20 cm3 (ΔV = 2 cm3).

I don't know how to relate the change in volume to the pressure exerted, though. It's not like I know the geometry of the water and how much area it has to be able to use the equation in 2. Nor do I know how to determine the force exerted by the water as it expands (I know how much mass is being displaced, but don't know how to determine it's acceleration, assuming I need to use Force = Mass x Acceleration).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
anisotropic said:
P = force x area

That's wrong.

Not that it changes anything.

I would approach this problem by first considering the properties of water and how it behaves when it freezes. Water is unique in that it expands when it freezes, with a volume increase of approximately 9%. This expansion is due to the formation of a crystal lattice structure, which takes up more space than the liquid water molecules.

Next, I would consider the maximum theoretical pressure that can be exerted by the expanding water. This would depend on the amount of water present and the container or surface it is expanding against. The maximum theoretical pressure can be calculated using the equation P = F/A, where P is pressure, F is force, and A is area.

To determine the force, I would use the known density of ice at 263.15 K (0.9 g/cm^3) and the volume increase of 2 cm^3 to calculate the mass of the ice. Then, I would use the equation F = ma to calculate the force exerted by the expanding ice.

Finally, I would determine the area over which the force is exerted. This could vary depending on the specific situation, such as the size and shape of the rock crevice. If the area is unknown, I would use the maximum possible area, such as the surface area of the rock crevice.

By plugging the calculated values into the equation P = F/A, I would be able to determine the theoretical maximum pressure that can be exerted by the expanding water as it freezes in a given situation. However, it is important to note that this is a theoretical maximum and the actual pressure may be lower due to various factors such as the strength of the rock or the presence of other materials in the crevice.

Related to Theoretical max. pressure of a given quantity of water freezing to ice

1. What factors affect the theoretical maximum pressure of water freezing to ice?

The theoretical maximum pressure of water freezing to ice is affected by the quantity of water, temperature, and the presence of impurities. The quantity of water and temperature determine the amount of energy needed for the phase change, while impurities can disrupt the formation of ice crystals and lower the maximum pressure.

2. Is there a limit to the theoretical maximum pressure of water freezing to ice?

Yes, there is a limit to the theoretical maximum pressure of water freezing to ice. This limit is known as the triple point, where the three phases of water (solid, liquid, and gas) coexist at a specific temperature and pressure. Above this point, it is not possible for water to exist in a solid state.

3. How does the theoretical maximum pressure of water freezing to ice relate to ice formation in nature?

The theoretical maximum pressure of water freezing to ice is an important factor in understanding ice formation in nature. In bodies of water such as lakes and oceans, the pressure exerted by the weight of the water can prevent it from freezing even at temperatures below the freezing point. This is why bodies of water take longer to freeze compared to smaller quantities of water.

4. Can the theoretical maximum pressure of water freezing to ice be exceeded?

Yes, the theoretical maximum pressure of water freezing to ice can be exceeded under certain conditions. This can happen in extreme environments such as the deep sea, where the pressure is much higher than at the Earth's surface. In these conditions, water can exist in a supercooled state and freeze at temperatures below the normal freezing point.

5. How is the theoretical maximum pressure of water freezing to ice calculated?

The theoretical maximum pressure of water freezing to ice is calculated using thermodynamic principles and equations. These equations take into account the properties of water, such as its density and specific heat capacity, as well as the phase change from liquid to solid. These calculations can be complex and are typically done using computer simulations.