Theoretical Gunshot with Thunder

In summary, if you want to shoot someone without them hearing the gunshot, you need to time it with the sound of thunder. The further away the lightning strike is from the target, the more time you need to delay the trigger pull.
Melosh3
Hey, I found this site while studying for my physics midterm, but then I can across an interesting question in a video game.

In Battlefield:Bad Company 2, there is a mission where you have to snipe somebody but do it so nobody hears a gunshot, you accomplish this by firing when you see lightning, and the sound of the thunder masks the sound of the gunshot

Reference video here: (Some explicit language just btw)

However, when i thought about it, I don't think that would work, I mean, you would hear it at the same time, but unless the lightning struck as the bullet fired right on top of the person, wouldn't the other people hear it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You hear thunder slightly after you see lightning because sound travels slower than light. A rough way to estimate how far away in miles a lightning strike is from you is to count the seconds and divide by 5.

Considering that the furthest confirmed sniper shot was about 1.5 miles away, I would say the difference in time between you and the "watchers" is negligible compared to the distance of the lightning from them.

The tricky part would be figuring out how far the lightning is from them based just on looking so you can time it with the thunder.

If the difference in time is negligible then wouldn't the distance from the lightning not matter? Thunder is pretty long, so if the difference isn't too much as long as you pulled the trigger fairly quickly it would work right?

If you pulled it right as soon as you heard the thunder (not when you see the lightning) the chances would be pretty good that they would be pretty close together.

But you would want the shot to coincide with the "crack" sound rather than the rumble of thunder.

You know you range to the target. If the lightning is further away from the target then you are, you delay the trigger pull by your estimate for the difference x 5 seconds/mile. If the strike is closer to the target than you are then you can't mask the sound of the shot.

Related to Theoretical Gunshot with Thunder

1. What is "Theoretical Gunshot with Thunder"?

"Theoretical Gunshot with Thunder" is a scientific phenomenon that occurs when a gunshot is fired in close proximity to a thunderstorm. It is characterized by a loud sound and bright flash of light that may be seen and heard simultaneously.

2. How does "Theoretical Gunshot with Thunder" differ from a regular thunderstorm?

The main difference between "Theoretical Gunshot with Thunder" and a regular thunderstorm is the presence of a gunshot. While a regular thunderstorm is caused by the movement of charged particles in the atmosphere, the gunshot in "Theoretical Gunshot with Thunder" adds an additional source of energy and disturbance to the atmosphere, resulting in a more intense and unique phenomenon.

3. What factors contribute to the occurrence of "Theoretical Gunshot with Thunder"?

Several factors can contribute to the occurrence of "Theoretical Gunshot with Thunder", including the strength and proximity of the thunderstorm, the type and caliber of the gun, and the location and terrain where the gunshot was fired.

4. Is "Theoretical Gunshot with Thunder" dangerous?

While "Theoretical Gunshot with Thunder" may be startling and alarming, it is not necessarily dangerous. However, it is always important to practice proper gun safety and avoid firing shots near thunderstorms or other potentially hazardous conditions.

5. How can "Theoretical Gunshot with Thunder" be studied and observed?

Scientists can study and observe "Theoretical Gunshot with Thunder" through a variety of methods, including using specialized equipment such as high-speed cameras and acoustic sensors. They can also analyze data and recordings from previous incidents to better understand the phenomenon and its underlying mechanisms.