Theoretical doubt with rolling without slipping

In summary, the person is discussing a problem involving the calculation of torque and questioning why F is used in the equation. They then discuss the tangential component of F and how it creates torque, and how the perpendicular distance from the center affects the calculation. The person comes to understand that either method will give the same result.
Hernaner28
Hi. I'm taking a look at this problem:

attachment.php?attachmentid=48748&stc=1&d=1340990540.gif

And my doubt is with step 2 when he calculates the torque. He just says it is Fd. But...why? F only has a component which effectivly does torque.

Thanks

Attachments

• noslip.gif
    noslip.gif
    27.1 KB · Views: 526
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Hernaner28!

Hernaner28 said:
And my doubt is with step 2 when he calculates the torque. He just says it is Fd. But...why? F only has a component which effectivly does torque.

Thanks

F as a whole is the component which creates effective torque. Fn doesn't create torque as its line of action passes through the ball's center, and the same with mg. But F has a line of action that is at a distance 'd' away from the center and perpendicular to it. So... :wink:

I don't understand. F has a tangential component and that's the one which creates torque, the other component of F doesn't create torque because it passes through the center. Maybe it's a geometric problem I cannot solve...

Thanks!

Hernaner28 said:
I don't understand. F has a tangential component and that's the one which creates torque, the other component of F doesn't create torque because it passes through the center. Maybe it's a geometric problem I cannot solve...

Thanks!

Yes. But both the torques, that is the torque taken with the tangential component, or just taken the way it is, give you the same result! That's because for the tangential component, the perpendicular distance from the center is R, but in the case of the force given, it is d. Think about it...

Ahhmmm I see... I didn't know you could take that easy way.. Thanks!

Related to Theoretical doubt with rolling without slipping

1. What is theoretical doubt with rolling without slipping?

Theoretical doubt with rolling without slipping is a concept in physics that involves analyzing the motion of a rolling object without any slipping or sliding. It is often used in the study of rotational motion and is based on the assumption that there is no friction between the rolling object and the surface it is rolling on.

2. How is theoretical doubt with rolling without slipping different from other types of motion?

Theoretical doubt with rolling without slipping is different from other types of motion because it involves both translational and rotational motion. This means that the object is not only moving forward, but also rotating as it moves. It also requires the absence of friction, which is not always the case in other types of motion.

3. What are some real-life examples of theoretical doubt with rolling without slipping?

Some examples of theoretical doubt with rolling without slipping include a ball rolling down a ramp, a car driving around a curve, and a wheel rolling across a flat surface. In all of these cases, the object is rotating as it moves forward without any slipping or sliding.

4. What are the key equations used in theoretical doubt with rolling without slipping?

The two key equations used in theoretical doubt with rolling without slipping are the translational motion equation, which relates the displacement, velocity, and acceleration of the object, and the rotational motion equation, which relates the angular displacement, angular velocity, and angular acceleration of the object. These equations can be used to solve for various parameters of the rolling object's motion.

5. Why is theoretical doubt with rolling without slipping important in physics?

Theoretical doubt with rolling without slipping is important in physics because it helps us understand the complex motion of rolling objects. By analyzing the motion of these objects, we can gain insight into concepts such as inertia, torque, and angular momentum. It also allows us to make predictions and calculations about the behavior of rolling objects in real-world situations.